Hi, my ideal pet

Briarwyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Howdy, cat lovers

I'd like to have a pet cat. The qualities I'm looking for in a cat is:

*likes water, swimming, boats/ships, rivers/lakes, and beaches(will the cat be a good swim buddy?)
*likes fish/seafood meat and people foods that are safe for cats
*is smart
*is calm
*is quiet
*can get along with, and live with one dog
*can handle harsh midwestern winter temperatures( like in the state of Minnesota)
*doesn't mind going on a walk with the dog
*is happy living in an apartment
*is healthy
*is a good city cat breed
*is a good bug hunter, when bugs invade from outside

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, since we're such a perfect species ourselves...
1592702368207.png

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have met a couple cats that would meet most of those criteria. Some of them are opposing though---a cat outgoing enough to go out in public is unlikely be calm or quiet, or to be perfectly happy in an apartment. Try to decide which criteria are the most important to you and narrow the list down a bit.

Cats who like to go out in public, especially on the water, aren't common, and I don't know how you'd find one unless someone who had a cat like that needed to rehome them for some reason. It's not just a matter of training/conditioning; the cat's natural personality is also a factor. And you wouldn't be able to know that until the cat has lived with you for a while and gotten used to your habits.

If you're really set on having a cat that meets those criteria, start contacting rescues amd shelters, and comb through the internet classifieds. Who knows, you might get lucky.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have met a couple cats that would meet most of those criteria. Some of them are opposing though---a cat outgoing enough to go out in public is unlikely be calm or quiet, or to be perfectly happy in an apartment. Try to decide which criteria are the most important to you and narrow the list down a bit.

Cats who like to go out in public, especially on the water, aren't common, and I don't know how you'd find one unless someone who had a cat like that needed to rehome them for some reason. It's not just a matter of training/conditioning; the cat's natural personality is also a factor. And you wouldn't be able to know that until the cat has lived with you for a while and gotten used to your habits.

If you're really set on having a cat that meets those criteria, start contacting rescues amd shelters, and comb through the internet classifieds. Who knows, you might get lucky.

This is an impossible high expectation list to put on any living creature.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat breeds that I am familiar with that like water are not the most quiet. Maybe not calm either. I am from an island and many who live on boats have certain cat breeds. Maine Coon can be close to meeting your hopes but you can’t ever predict the personality, likes or dislikes of any living creature. Even a dog might not fit those specifics if his personality did not fit. I would suggest that you fall in love with a cat and then find the things you can enjoy together. If you truly fall in love with a cat, all else can be adjusted to suit the cats needs. Some cats will love your dog but will your dog love the cat? You and the dog must fall in love with the cat and vice versa. It happens if you are patient and can take your time searching for the right match. I would suggest you seek out the help of someone with experience.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't bother getting a cat. Cats aren't here to please you and be perfect beings, get a dog.

Last edited by a moderator:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howdy, cat lovers

I'd like to have a pet cat. The qualities I'm looking for in a cat is:

*likes water, swimming, boats/ships, rivers/lakes, and beaches(will the cat be a good swim buddy?)
*likes fish/seafood meat and people foods that are safe for cats
*is smart
*is calm
*is quiet
*can get along with, and live with one dog
*can handle harsh midwestern winter temperatures( like in the state of Minnesota)
*doesn't mind going on a walk with the dog
*is happy living in an apartment
*is healthy
*is a good city cat breed
*is a good bug hunter, when bugs invade from outside
think you might be better off with a dog in all honesty