hi. moving with cat. need advice!!

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Japan right now and have taken in a stray cat here who now lives in my apt. Next month I will be moving back to the US and plan to take her with me.

The problem is that I will be living with my parents in NYC for a year or 2 until I can afford my own place. And my mother is very allergic to cats. So my cat could live in the empty guest house at my parents country house and be an indoor/outdoor cat. But she would be alone a few days a week and I'm worried that she'll be lonely. I also worry about something happening to her if I let her wander outside alone. But keeping her inside all alone seems even more cruel.

Another option might be to find her a foster home with one of my Mom's friends who loves cats. Then I could visit her and take her back when I get my own place. Leaving her with someone in Japan would break my heart and animal treatment in Japan is pretty awful - the tend to just leave their cats out of the concrete and toss them some food.

Any advice about what'd be best for my cat, but still keeping her in my life in the long-run? If she lived with a foster family for a year or 2 , would she forget about me?
That would be sad.

Thank you!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome!!!

I'm glad you're bringing that kitty back home with you!

Can you mother take allergy meds? Some people have good results using them and can keep their kitties.
If you had to give her to a foster family she won't forget you if you visit her regularly.

Good luck!!

catlover7731

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from NYC and would not let the cat roam outside at all. It could get killed, lost, attacked by dogs or people not to mention sick. I think leaving it in foster care or allergy meds for your mom would be the best bet. I have seen some products sold that are supposed to be good for people who are allergic to cats . I am not sure if it is a bath product or a rub. I am sorry but I applaud you for not wanting to leave the cat behind.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

It's great you'll be bringing the kitty back home with you. It's a pity that your mom is allergic. I think your best option is to put her in a foster situation. She won't forget you.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, Sierra and I welcome you to TCS!
So glad you've joined us and look forward to getting to know you better!
How wonderful of you to ensure the best care for your precious baby! I would be so happy to help you in any way as you learn your way around the site. Please, simply click on my user name and send me a Private Message!

amirando

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi! my husband and i are in japan also. it's true, there are tons of cats just running around loose in the streets(it's rare that you see a "house" with a "yard.") we'll be here another two years, but then we plan to take our two cats with us when we leave as well. good luck with the move and finiding your kitty a place to live. i hope if the allergy meds don't work or aren't an option for your mom that you find a friend close enough to visit a lot! i know i'd miss my cats if i couldn't see them.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definetly do not like the indoor-outdoor option, where she would be roaming free for several days at a time. Leaving her in Japan doesn't seem like a good option either. The best way to go would be to find a family that would take her, a foster family or even a permanent one. If a foster family would take her, I suppose you could visit her once in while so she won't forget you.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's give me several asthma attacks a week, but do I care? Nope, I have albuterol and allergy medicine. I'm pretty nuts when it comes to cats though, so I'm willing to spend some extra money to get treated for my allergies and I'm willing to put up with wheezing and coughing.

It shouldn't be too bad if you see her for most of the week, but I wouldn't let her outside in NYC. Would getting her a friend be out of the question? Good luck with your move!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the replies everyone. I'm pretty sure my Mom would NOT be willing to do allergy pills etc. After all, it's not her cat, so there's no reason she should suffer.

The best bet would a foster parent I think, so I'll look into that.

I may as well ask here: is there anyone out there who lives in Manhattan and would be willing to take in my kitty for a year or so?

Thanks everyone!

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am an allergy sufferer who lives in a small apartment with 2 cats. My boyfriend is allergic to dust and everything else. We got an air purifyer and these special cloths that we wash the cats with once every 2 weeks or so. Also I vaccum everything at least once a week. We have the occasional bad day, but that has more to do with the pollen in the air than anything else. It obviously depends on the severity of your mother's allergies, but this stuff does help.

Sadly I don't live in NYC so I can't help you. But good luck and I'm glad you're bringing your cat back stateside.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you have thought of this, but do make certain she has all the right paperwork before travelling - it has taken me over 6 months to get my three certified and we are not done yet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I'm sure you have thought of this, but do make certain she has all the right paperwork before travelling - it has taken me over 6 months to get my three certified and we are not done yet!
where are you traveling to?

From what I've read taking a cat into the US, from Japan, doesn't require any paperwork. Just a checkup at the airport in Japan.

catlover7731

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abnihon

thanks for the replies everyone. I'm pretty sure my Mom would NOT be willing to do allergy pills etc. After all, it's not her cat, so there's no reason she should suffer.

The best bet would a foster parent I think, so I'll look into that.

I may as well ask here: is there anyone out there who lives in Manhattan and would be willing to take in my kitty for a year or so?

Thanks everyone!
Here is a site that has rescue and shelter groups on it , you can find a group in Manhattan and ask them to help with foster for a year. I am not in NYC anymore and have two kitties of my own. The website is : www.petfinder.org
look on the top of the page and you can find the tab that says shelter and rescue groups click on it and that should take you to the right page.