Hi. Long time no see you all!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!  I haven't been on TCS in quite a while, but wanted to say hi and ask your all opinions............

My Petals has hypo thyroid disease and I need to give her a pill everyday for the rest of her life....  :(   Any suggestions or help you guys might have on doing this would be a big help!  Any suggestions on what to hide the pill in?  If she won't take it voluntarily, any suggestions on how you get it down their throats when you live alone?  Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

acats88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went through phases where I had to give my cats medicine when I lived alone. I had one of those pill poppers (or pill gun) where you would place the pill in it and it shoots it further back in their throat. It was a life saver. I also would sit cross legged on the floor and hold the cats bottom paws with my legs. 

Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you buy these pill shooters at?? LOL

acats88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet actually gave me one (I think I must have sounded really panicked at the thought of giving meds alone) but I've also bought one on amazon. This is like the first one I've had. 

I just bought this one. It seems to catch the medicine more so sometimes I have to push twice but I think that is because I'm giving Phantom cut up pills instead of nice round ones. 

Your cat is adorable! She reminds me of my black and white boy. 

I know a lot of people use pill pockets to give treats but my cats don't fall for that. It was easier just to give it to them instead of panicking about whether or not they were going to eat them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Where do you buy these pill shooters at?? LOL
Hi!! Welcome back!!  

You can get a pill gun from Amazon. Here's one:

I live alone most of the time too. My DD is away at school. 

That picture is fantastic!! What a gorgeous kitty!  

" Oh hey mom! When did you get here? Me? Uh, no I wasn't up to anything..  I was doing um... yoga.. yeah, that's it. Yoga."

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome back. Good to see you!

Sorry to hear about Petal.  I wish I could offer some suggestions.  When Chynna was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid and needed medication, she also had high blood pressure which needed medication too.

I really, really, really tried to give her the pills, but it was so traumatic for both her and I.  She started to get scared of me and cowered and hid from me.  I couldn't take it :(  I tried mixing the medication in with her wet food, but she could taste it and wouldn't eat it.  So I just stopped trying.  I decided to let her live out her life without medications.  She was starting to feel unsafe in her home, and I felt like a big bully.

She lived to be 18 1/2 years old before I made the compassionate decision to end her suffering.

My Abby is going to be 18 in June, and while she hasn't been officially diagnosed, I can tell she has hyperthyroid and kidney issues.   I am not going to get her tested for either, since I won't be subjecting her to the trauma of trying to give her pills.  She's lost more than 1/2 her body weight since September, and while she can still jump up onto the bed, she is weak and frail.  A light breeze could blow her over.  

I hope you find a solution for you and Petal.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much.  I've ordered it on Amazon! I'll let you guys know how it goes!  Right now she is taking it in a pill pocket, when she wants to. The other day I had to shove it down her throat and I felt awful.  :(

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what? My vet has offered me an alternative to the pills. It's a cream that you put on the inside of their ear (where there is no fur) and it works the same as the thyroid pill!  Please ask your vet about it.  I got it for $68 for 3 months worth!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please see my comment below about the ear cream.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Please see my comment below about the ear cream.

You know what? My vet has offered me an alternative to the pills. It's a cream that you put on the inside of their ear (where there is no fur) and it works the same as the thyroid pill!  Please ask your vet about it.  I got it for $68 for 3 months worth!
Yes, I am aware of the ear cream.  But it's not as effective as the pill.  Plus if your cat is on any other medication, such as Chynna was, you still have to give a pill.   I chose to not traumatize her, or me.  And I've chosen the same for Abby.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, I am aware of the ear cream.  But it's not as effective as the pill.  Plus if your cat is on any other medication, such as Chynna was, you still have to give a pill.   I chose to not traumatize her, or me.  And I've chosen the same for Abby.
I totally understand...........

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Susie, nice to see you again! That's a lovely wave from Petals! :lol3:
I'm sorry about her condition. We have to give both our cats pills twice a day for this week and it's tough. I have one of those pill poppers (the first one in acats88's post) but don't like it much. I think the second one is better. I've been using pill pockets but still basically have to shove it down their throats. Fun for everyone. That cream sounds great, and so much easier for you both. Good luck with it.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sara has hyper-t but I can't afford anything more than the pills (she's also dealing with acute on chronic renal failure). Before she got really sick last week, I had a variety of pill pockets/wraps/pastes/etc. I learned I really COULD be creative! I had started combining Temptations treats with the pill pockets, wraps, pastes. I started giving her the pills right when she'd wake up because she would just gobble it up then. These days though, I have to use a pill gun with her. I shove all her meds into a gel cap and pop that baby in. She hates it, but it's at least over with pretty quick. I follow it up with some fishy food :)

So, if you find yourself having to do pilling for some other reason (as stated before, you might at some point), try to remember you don't have to stick with just pill pockets (or just anything else).

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I totally understand...........

Thanks everyone so  much!  :)