Hi I'm New, I Got A Rescue Cat And Am Thinking Of 2nd Cat, Need Help Please

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

So I adopted a rescue cat about 6 months ago (Snuffy) and while he is very sweet he is also very, very, VERY needy. It is endearing at times and other times overbearing. I've had cats most my life in the household and have never seen one like this, not independent at all. So anyway, I was thinking maybe it would be helpful for him if he had a companion so I'm contemplating a second cat. However, I'm looking for feedback on how to integrate a second cat in a fairly small apartment. It's a 2 bedroom apartment with my room and the spare bedroom which is basically my cat's room. All his stuff is in there. Anyway I'm not sure how to go about doing this can anyone give me some feedback?

VictoriaTP91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello... When getting another cat best advice I can give from a new cat owner ever is to separate them before they meet... I learned that the hard way

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might want to try trial runs. Don't know if that is exactly the way to say it. But if you know someone who is adopting out kittens, ask if you can take one on a trial basis, depending on if your cat will accept it. Give them a day or 2 and if they are not getting along swap out the kitten for another one. I have never tried something like this but it makes sense to me that it should work. Part of the reason for me saying that is that it sounds like your cat wants company. I think it is more likely the kitten that will freak out and reject the older cat. If you have a selection you stand a better chance of finding personalities that mesh rather than clash.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a good idea to "switch out" cats--that's rather hard on the cats getting switched around. I would never adopt out a cat or kitten to someone unwilling to make a solid commitment to that pet. It takes time, patience and commitment to help a new cat adjust to a new home and resident cat. Consider going to a shelter and choosing a cat who is laid back and gentle. Keep them in separate rooms initially with short, supervised visits that are centered on eating treats and playing with a wand toy. Socializing two domesticated cats can be smoothly done within weeks or a few months. There are several threads on this forum about cat introductions that can provide helpful tips. Most cats enjoy a feline companion, so I think you're making a wise decision.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a good idea to "switch out" cats--that's rather hard on the cats getting switched around. I would never adopt out a cat or kitten to someone unwilling to make a solid commitment to that pet. It takes time, patience and commitment to help a new cat adjust to a new home and resident cat. Consider going to a shelter and choosing a cat who is laid back and gentle. Keep them in separate rooms initially with short, supervised visits that are centered on eating treats and playing with a wand toy. Socializing two domesticated cats can be smoothly done within weeks or a few months. There are several threads on this forum about cat introductions that can provide helpful tips. Most cats enjoy a feline companion, so I think you're making a wise decision.
I probably shouldn't have said it quite that way. I wasn't thinking of just putting them together in a box and see if the fur flies. Because of the description Serenityinaz12 has provided of her cat being "needy" I was thinking more along the lines of a needy kitten that her cat might adopt and be comfortable with rather than an equally grown companion. I have gone through the process of reintegrating cats together and am well aware of the difficulties.
But I have been inspired by some of the new things some other groups have been trying. If it was me I might try it to see if it would work. Here is a video of what I am talking about.

I have no idea if this persons cat would react in a similar way. A lot of older cats will bat away a kitten. But the description of their cats personality would make me think that it was worth a try. And the only way to try is to borrow a few kittens and see what happens. That is what I was thinking. I don't think any harm would come to the kittens from trying, and sometimes cats just surprise you with what they do.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi there,

So I adopted a rescue cat about 6 months ago (Snuffy) and while he is very sweet he is also very, very, VERY needy. It is endearing at times and other times overbearing. I've had cats most my life in the household and have never seen one like this, not independent at all. So anyway, I was thinking maybe it would be helpful for him if he had a companion so I'm contemplating a second cat. However, I'm looking for feedback on how to integrate a second cat in a fairly small apartment. It's a 2 bedroom apartment with my room and the spare bedroom which is basically my cat's room. All his stuff is in there. Anyway I'm not sure how to go about doing this can anyone give me some feedback?
Hello Serenityinaz12, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for adopting rescued Snuffy. When you mentioned that he is very needy and not independent, he might not need a companion but he is just very attached to you. So getting a second cat might not work for him. A needy cat might not mean you need to have a second cat. It could turn out worse for him than you think. And if that happens, you'll have two problems in your hands.

Please consider carefully.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using a gate worked for me. First the cats met under a closed door and played footsy under it. Then a door with a gate so they could sniff each other and play through that, and eat on opposite sides of the gate. If you get a cat from the shelter, I would try to find one that is friendly with other cats. I wonder if another male cat would work best, neutered of course. My Demi seems to like playing with other boy cats better, he escaped once and was playing with the neighbors' male cat. He loves his sister cat, but she gets tired of his playing.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've used a baby gate as well. In a few days, if the new cat feels comfortable in his surroundings and with the other cats, he will jump the baby gate or knock it down and decide on his own to get the run of the house. This is happened with me a few times and has worked out well. Getting a shelter Kitty is a great idea because you would be rescuing another cat, and also have the opportunity to pick out one with an easygoing personality. You also get everything done for the adoption fee which is much less than a vets cost. I have five rescued cats in my house, and they all coexist well. I'm gone for 18 hours work stretches sometimes, and they play and keep each other company. I guess I am biased in favor of every cat having at least one feline buddy:) you will receive differing pieces of advice here, but ultimately you know your cat better than anyone, and intuitively will know what is best for your kitty.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:You are wonderful for rescuing your kitty and for thinking of saving another. :clap::clap2: How old is Snuffy? Can we see a picture of him?:camera: I'm not really familiar with indoor kittys, Gypsy adopted us and we are playing it by ear, so far so good.:hearthrob::redheartpump: So I really don't have any advice but if you try getting another cat, I would try another neutered male, don't know if an older or same age would be better, and you have our best wishes. Please keep us updated. Good luck.:crossfingers: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:rock: