Hi. Has anyone put their cat on Flagyl for IBS/IBD?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No cats, but I had to take it for C. Diff. Nasty-tasting. It is actually an anti-fungal, as the Clostridia are spores.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No cats, but I had to take it for C. Diff. Nasty-tasting. It is actually an anti-fungal, as the Clostridia are spores.
it is an antibiotic but treats some parasites as well. C diff is a bacteria

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woah, was I wrong! I don't know why I thought that. Oh well, it still tastes nasty.
I just read that certain types of fungus can perpetuate C diff, so Flagyl may be used for both. So you may be partly right... I appreciate your help 😊...Java foams at the mouth at anything nasty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

Mine is picky too and the switch from dry to canned was difficult. I'd given up so many times in the past but we toughed it out this time.

The first switch was to Turkey and he has been fine with that. We tried duck with some commercial frozen and canned and he's hasn't been keen on it. Not keen on the Rabbit we've tried either. Haven't tried venison or lamb. But he's been fine with Turkey so were sticking with that plus it's easy to source to make his homemade and not too expensive. May try a little homemade pork at some point. Maybe next time we make his homemade. Hope you find something to feed that helps to at least reduce his tummy troubles.

Best of luck.
Thank you😊 will have to try some of those. She's doing great now, as long as I give her her enzyme/probiotic powder . If I don't she'll go back to having terrible diarrhea and some vomiting. But her problem of low/spot urinating/FIC has stopped now. It just went away... didn't need to take the Flagyl or anything. I did start adding a little fancy feast to her reg. food which she loves so maybe that made her happier lol.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read that certain types of fungus can perpetuate C diff, so Flagyl may be used for both. So you may be partly right... I appreciate your help 😊...Java foams at the mouth at anything nasty.
Flagyl will not treat a fungal infection it treats bacterial infections and some protozoan parasites. Antibiotics can cause c diff because they deplete the intestine of good bacteria but various antibiotics are used to treat c diff. Usually the intestine needs to be in an inflamed state for c diff to take hold. If it were caused by a fungal infection initially that would need to be treated as well with an anti fungal.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woah, was I wrong! I don't know why I thought that. Oh well, it still tastes nasty.
For some reason I used to think that as well years ago but I think I was confusing it with an anti fungal that has a similar sounding name. And because it’s also used to treat certain protozoan parasites so it is a bit confusing.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had C. Diff and Salmonella at the same time. They gave me Flagyl and Ciprofloxacin at the same time. Then after they got me stopped having diarrhea, they put me in a private room with isolation procedures, gowns and gloves to stop "the spread of spores". I just assumed they were talking about the C. Diff, as I had heard of Salmonella. I just know that I never want to have either one again. My BP went down to less than 60/40.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had C. Diff and Salmonella at the same time. They gave me Flagyl and Ciprofloxacin at the same time. Then after they got me stopped having diarrhea, they put me in a private room with isolation procedures, gowns and gloves to stop "the spread of spores". I just assumed they were talking about the C. Diff, as I had heard of Salmonella. I just know that I never want to have either one again. My BP went down to less than 60/40.
So sorry you had those, terrible😿 I had salmonella as a child, I was in terrible pain and my doc did nothing, left me at home screaming in pain! C diff and salmonella are both bacteria. flagyl and ciprofloxacin are antibiotic Spores do not mean you have a fungus. If a fungus cause c diff you would prolly need and antifungal such as diflucan as well as an antibiotic.