Hi. Has anyone put their cat on Flagyl for IBS/IBD?

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. If your vet has ever put your cat on Flagyl, can you tell me your personal experience with it? My vet gave me a prescription for my cat who has started to have chronic IBS/ diarrhea. Did Flagyl do more harm than good for your cat? Did it significantly lower appetite? What were/are the side effects? My cat is around 9-10 yrs old and besides being a tad anemic with low globulin/protein , her kidneys, blood sugar and thyroid are normal on her blood panel.
Thank you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. That is a very common medication for diarrhea. They need some relief. It helps firm up the diarrhea. Probiotics would be another good addition also.

Eventually they will probably want your cat on Prednisolone also and that is more concerning with side effects, but necessary to make them more comfortable esp if it turns into anything more serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I just ordered DrFormulas Nexabiotic (?) Probiotics for cats. Other than a couple reviews saying it made their cat worse, the majority said it made a great difference. We'll see! Ahhhhh.....kitties! Gotta love Em's.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. If your vet has ever put your cat on Flagyl, can you tell me your personal experience with it? My vet gave me a prescription for my cat who has started to have chronic IBS/ diarrhea. Did Flagyl do more harm than good for your cat? Did it significantly lower appetite? What were/are the side effects? My cat is around 9-10 yrs old and besides being a tad anemic with low globulin/protein , her kidneys, blood sugar and thyroid are normal on her blood panel.
Thank you.
A lot of antibiotics such as Flagyl have an anti-inflammatory effect which is why they are sometimes used for that as well. For instance I once had the flu and I always have an antibiotic at home due to my health issues. I started taking the antibiotic. When I did get to the doctor she diagnosed that it was flu with a test but she said the ab helped me because it has an anti-inflammatory effect.

Merlin was on it but for suspected parasites. It did help reduce the number of movements but did not firm his stool. My wizard was also tried on Flagyl but he responded by vomiting more so we never really gave it to him except once when he and Syb tested positive for giardia. For some reason he didn’t vomit that time as far as I recall I don’t know why. But they had no symptoms and after one treatment it was gone. Wizard did have inflammatory bowel ( no runs just vomiting on and off) that turned into lymphoma unfortunately. But he was never on anything because he was not able to tolerate medications and just responded by vomiting. However at the point when it got a lot worse he was on a steroid and chlorambucil and did well on them. We were very hesitant to do that because he already had kidney disease by that point and he was a lot older.

There are other things you can try like herbal treatments, different diets home-cooked diets grain free diet‘s, adding fiber and pumpkin to the diet and things like that. Sometimes they might need a trial of steroids and then they can be slowly reduced off of it and maybe go off of it for a while too. I guess it depends how bad it is.

It is still not clear if Merlin has a parasite or if it is inflammatory bowel and I will probably keep him on the steroid for a while longer as well as trying another medication for a parasite. But he also tested positive for C diff although the most recent DVM doing an ultrasound did not think that is causing his diarrhea.

Quinn started having a diarrhea problem when he was a kitten after being given free treatment which I really regret now. He responded very well to Flagyl. After two doses his store went back to normal and then eventually I figured out he needed to eat a home-cooked diet or fussy cat only one flavor and that’s pretty much cured him. But I always have Flagyl on hand in case he gets the runs again.

My own experience with Flagyl when 2 of my kitties tested positive for Giardia was that it made me so ill I felt I was being poisoned and I had to stop it after three doses. I was the only one who was symptomatic and I had severe cramping but even the three doses did seem to help me.

A lot of people seem to have success with probiotics and adding pumpkin and fiber although that does not seem to have helped Merlin at all in fact they gave him explosive diarrhea. And swelling in his tummy.

Last edited:

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow... that's really great information, thank you. Did Quinn only take the two doses, or did he have to take the full 10 day course? And how is Fussy Cat different from other cat foods?

Also when Wizzard's IBS turned into lymphoma, did that create serious problems for him. Is he still here with you? (I hope so🌹)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy briefly took Flagyl when he was first diagnosed with IBD. I had the liquid which is pretty nasty tasting to cats but I didn't have too much problem getting it into my oddball cat. The pills might be easier if you use Pill Pockets or one of the other tips below:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

FYI, all the varieties of Pill Pockets contain chicken, even the fish based ones :rolleyes: Many IBD / IBS cats are sensitive to chicken. One Pill Pocket is how I discovered that Leroy could no longer eat chicken to keep :barf: from happening from both ends. I now use a bacon flavored chicken-free pill dough for Leroy.

There's good info here on IBD:

The second link has info on using probiotics and S. boulardii for diarrhea and general GI health.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had neurological side effects after metronidazole (ataxia, muscle trembling) so I’m biased, but to me it seems it’s prescribed like a candy by some vets for the diarrhea, without checking what is actually causing it. But I have no experience with IBD, it was given for giardia. Please watch your cat for any side effects of you give it, especially for longer period.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is technically an antibiotic so long term use is not really ideal, as for any antibiotics. Side effects are rare but can happen with literally anything so there is no reason to let another persons experience negatively affect yours. Try it under veterinary supervision and recommendation and see if it helps, not not you can always discontinue. Any clinic I have worked at gave it out all the time, but temporarily, for diarrhea, while also checking stool to and bloodwork to find out the root cause.

Oh and it can also be compounded into a better tasting pill.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had a lot of success with Flagyl in both dogs and cats over the years for short term use. It is bitter, but aside from that I have never had a negative reaction to it.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A lot of antibiotics such as Flagyl have an anti-inflammatory effect which is why they are sometimes used for that as well. For instance I once had the flu and I always have an antibiotic at home due to my health issues. I started taking the antibiotic. When I did get to the doctor she diagnosed that it was flu with a test but she said the ab helped me because it has an anti-inflammatory effect.

Merlin was on it but for suspected parasites. It did help reduce the number of movements but did not firm his stool. My wizard was also tried on Flagyl but he responded by vomiting more so we never really gave it to him except once when he and Syb tested positive for giardia. For some reason he didn’t vomit that time as far as I recall I don’t know why. But they had no symptoms and after one treatment it was gone. Wizard did have inflammatory bowel ( no runs just vomiting on and off) that turned into lymphoma unfortunately. But he was never on anything because he was not able to tolerate medications and just responded by vomiting. However at the point when it got a lot worse he was on a steroid and chlorambucil and did well on them. We were very hesitant to do that because he already had kidney disease by that point and he was a lot older.

There are other things you can try like herbal treatments, different diets home-cooked diets grain free diet‘s, adding fiber and pumpkin to the diet and things like that. Sometimes they might need a trial of steroids and then they can be slowly reduced off of it and maybe go off of it for a while too. I guess it depends how bad it is.

It is still not clear if Merlin has a parasite or if it is inflammatory bowel and I will probably keep him on the steroid for a while longer as well as trying another medication for a parasite. But he also tested positive for C diff although the most recent DVM doing an ultrasound did not think that is causing his diarrhea.

Quinn started having a diarrhea problem when he was a kitten after being given free treatment which I really regret now. He responded very well to Flagyl. After two doses his store went back to normal and then eventually I figured out he needed to eat a home-cooked diet or fussy cat only one flavor and that’s pretty much cured him. But I always have Flagyl on hand in case he gets the runs again.

My own experience with Flagyl when 2 of my kitties tested positive for Giardia was that it made me so ill I felt I was being poisoned and I had to stop it after three doses. I was the only one who was symptomatic and I had severe cramping but even the three doses did seem to help me.

A lot of people seem to have success with probiotics and adding pumpkin and fiber although that does not seem to have helped Merlin at all in fact they gave him explosive diarrhea. And swelling in his tummy.
Leroy briefly took Flagyl when he was first diagnosed with IBD. I had the liquid which is pretty nasty tasting to cats but I didn't have too much problem getting it into my oddball cat. The pills might be easier if you use Pill Pockets or one of the other tips below:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

FYI, all the varieties of Pill Pockets contain chicken, even the fish based ones :rolleyes: Many IBD / IBS cats are sensitive to chicken. One Pill Pocket is how I discovered that Leroy could no longer eat chicken to keep :barf: from happening from both ends. I now use a bacon flavored chicken-free pill dough for Leroy.

There's good info here on IBD:

[/URL]
[/URL]

The second link has info on using probiotics and S. boulardii for diarrhea and general GI health.

Thanks. That helps a lot too, in knowing that IBS cats are sensitive to chicken, because that's been Java's only food for the past 7 months. Can I ask what you feed him now? Is Leroy completely better? I just ordered a cat probiotic with S. Boulardii. Today she's been so much better I haven't given her any Flagyl and decided that will be a last resort because a few days of no appetite has put her into fatty liver disease twice.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had neurological side effects after metronidazole (ataxia, muscle trembling) so I’m biased, but to me it seems it’s prescribed like a candy by some vets for the diarrhea, without checking what is actually causing it. But I have no experience with IBD, it was given for giardia. Please watch your cat for any side effects of you give it, especially for longer period.
Thanks, I think I remember Flagyl as being one of the antibiotics that has quinolomes in it (?). And from what I've read, many humans have had neurological problems from quinolomes..some of them long term. I personally have vowed not to take it myself, just because I've got a super sensitive nervous system. And Java's nervous system gets in overdrive/overwhelmed easily. I haven't tried the Flagyl for her yet, I think I'll wait to see how she does with some cat probiotics I just ordered. She actually is doing so much better today, so I'm feeling hopeful.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is technically an antibiotic so long term use is not really ideal, as for any antibiotics. Side effects are rare but can happen with literally anything so there is no reason to let another persons experience negatively affect yours. Try it under veterinary supervision and recommendation and see if it helps, not not you can always discontinue. Any clinic I have worked at gave it out all the time, but temporarily, for diarrhea, while also checking stool to and bloodwork to find out the root cause.

Oh and it can also be compounded into a better tasting pill.
Good to know, thanks. My vet said it may need to be given indefinitely at a possible lower dose, but that didn't sit well with me. I haven't given her any yet and will try some probiotics first. She's doing so much better today and all I've really done is continue the enzyme/acidophilus powder but mix a tiny bit of water to the powder before mixing it into her food ,so the powder doesn't absorb the water content from the wet food. And I've mixed a little fancy feast into her regular food (she was having what could be FIC issues which is why I took her to vet).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. That helps a lot too, in knowing that IBS cats are sensitive to chicken, because that's been Java's only food for the past 7 months. Can I ask what you feed him now? Is Leroy completely better? I just ordered a cat probiotic with S. Boulardii. Today she's been so much better I haven't given her any Flagyl and decided that will be a last resort because a few days of no appetite has put her into fatty liver disease twice.
Leroy has always eaten commercial raw food. I rotated proteins all the time so it's unusual that he is now unable to tolerate chicken. I continue to feed him the same brand of raw food but only in the rabbit protein. For his snacks, I feed a different raw and only the non-chicken proteins.

The IBS is fairly well managed these days. Leroy's tummy gets upset if he doesn't get fed on time. I usually find some form of :barf: on the floor when I get home from work. Even if I feed him on time, he sometimes still decides to throw up right beforehand :doh: Since I feed raw, I can't leave him food to snack on. I could give him canned but I also have another cat and I wouldn't know who is actually eating the food. Microchip feeders won't work because they're not programmable to only allow access to food at a specified time.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know...Java and my last cat would get "acidy tummies" and would cat gack clear liquid if I didn't feed them on time. I think just thinking about food, even when they did get it on time, gets their stomach acids going. Have you tried any probiotics? Java has thrown up from some human probiotics I've given her and ive read that certain cats with pancreas problems have to be careful/shouldn't take them. Ive been giving her Dr. Goodpets cat enzyme powder and it really helps to firm her stools/keep her from vomiting (and she doesn't vomit from the acidophilus in that). I did start increasing the dose a little more than what the directions said which gave her perfect poops and great appetite/energy. Then last week she began having extra litter box trips trying to urinate. It's possible the powder was taking away moisture from her food which could've started the FIC. (There were extra changes/stress around the house too). If I mixed more than a 1/2 teaspoon of water in her food, it caused her to "projectile hurl" (or regurgitate?) hours later and her food wasn't digested.

So adding a normal amount of this powder, mixing in a few drops of water in her food, but not too much (& keeping stress to a minimum) seems to be the trick as of now.
She's doing really great today!

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was given metronidazole (Flagyl) many times over the years for IBD flare ups. A short acting steroid was also given and we used Propectalin 2-3X per day for the first couple of days to get the loose stools in check. Eventually, my cat was put on a maintenance dose of Flagyl (25mg administered twice per week). That kept his IBD in check pretty well with only a few flare ups here and there. The maintenance dose did not seem to affect his appetite but the longer term doses (7-10 days) did have a small effect in decreasing his appetite, even with the steroid injection. He was a dry food eating kitty for 12 years.

He is on no meds now since we switched to high quality canned (Rawz and Stella and Chewys) and homemade diet. It took us years to figure it out but he has an issue with chicken and at least some grains andf/or other fillers. Of course, a diet change may not do the same for your kitty. Our vet still thinks he has IBD but he hasn't had a flare up since we made the switch, about 8 months ago now.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful, I'm glad your kitty is better. Java has been eating only one type canned food that is grain free chicken for almost a year, so I'll look into changing the protein source. She's done fantastic on it until recently. She's so picky when trying other foods and can easily go into fatty liver failure so I hate to switch her around. Last time I switched, I did it with tiny amounts gradually which helped.
I'll look into the foods you mentioned, and thanks for the great detailed info about the Flagyl/meds . Is there a type of protein that's been best for your cat, like rabbit, venison or duck?

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful, I'm glad your kitty is better. Java has been eating only one type canned food that is grain free chicken for almost a year, so I'll look into changing the protein source. She's done fantastic on it until recently. She's so picky when trying other foods and can easily go into fatty liver failure so I hate to switch her around. Last time I switched, I did it with tiny amounts gradually which helped.
I'll look into the foods you mentioned, and thanks for the great detailed info about the Flagyl/meds . Is there a type of protein that's been best for your cat, like rabbit, venison or duck?
Thank you.

Mine is picky too and the switch from dry to canned was difficult. I'd given up so many times in the past but we toughed it out this time.

The first switch was to Turkey and he has been fine with that. We tried duck with some commercial frozen and canned and he's hasn't been keen on it. Not keen on the Rabbit we've tried either. Haven't tried venison or lamb. But he's been fine with Turkey so were sticking with that plus it's easy to source to make his homemade and not too expensive. May try a little homemade pork at some point. Maybe next time we make his homemade. Hope you find something to feed that helps to at least reduce his tummy troubles.

Best of luck.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... that's really great information, thank you. Did Quinn only take the two doses, or did he have to take the full 10 day course? And how is Fussy Cat different from other cat foods?

Also when Wizzard's IBS turned into lymphoma, did that create serious problems for him. Is he still here with you? (I hope so🌹)
You're welcome 😊
I always kept him on the full dose, which was usually 5 days, but after 2 his runs were always gone tg. Fussie cat grain free has limited ingredients, I was giving it to Syb who had heart failure and who needed a low sodium diet and discovered it was ok for Quinn. The only flavor he eats is grain free chicken and chicken liver with pumpkin soup, it is low sodium but doesn't say that on the label. I also make him home cooked food with chicken, chicken liver and alnutrin supplements which is his main diet. Wizard passed away nearly 4 years ago in April 2016. I miss him every single day. He was rescued from outside, trapped by accident and was fiv plus so the rescue I volunteered with at the time would not put him in cages for adoption. We kept him, tg! Best cat in the world❤💕🐾 He spooned with me every night, he was a siamese or os mix. He lived a great life, he was prolly 19-20 when he passed and had crf as well. Wish he could have lived forever.
795DC94A-8EAD-4C13-8BF3-C5BE64DFBD4A.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I have Leroy on probiotics, S. boulardii, and digestive enzymes. I'm not sure if they're helping but they're certainly not making the IBD worse.