Hi From Kate And Grayson!

Skippyandjif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I’m Kate and I live in Brooklyn, NY. I live quite far from Manhattan so the neighborhood’s quiet traffic-wise and not super overcrowded...i.e., perfect for feral kitties! I’ve been living here for a little over seven years and feeding (and photographing!) the neighborhood feral colony for six and a half of those. :)

Until a little over two weeks ago, the only kitty in my life was my father’s fluffy boy Lex, a Turkish Van that he adopted from the shelter last year, so I had to content myself with kitty cuddles only when I’d visit my father and fluffy “brother.” (I was in graduate school for physics until last year, meaning long hours every day in the lab, so I would’ve felt bad leaving a cat alone in my apartment all day.) Anyway, here’s Lex, sleeping on my bed last time I spent the night there...

There was a trio of feral kittens I had noticed in spring of 2017 living in an abandoned garage down the block from me. I saw them with their mother, then Mama Cat disappeared :( but I still saw the kittens around, and they grew up into gorgeous ladies! I started feeding them when they were around 6 months and in the intervening two years, one of them, Grayson, really bonded to me. The other two, whom I named Wren and Jaye, still don’t let me near them, but three weeks ago Graysie followed me to the door of my apartment building... She didn’t follow me in, but sat outside crying until I came back outside and sat there petting her.
Several nights later, after I got some supplies for a cat— I had a hunch :) — she actually did follow me inside, up four flights of stairs, and into my apartment where she proceeded to hop up on my bed, knead, and fall asleep purring like she’d lived here forever. She lets me pet her tummy and she sleeps next to me on my bed, and I got her litter trained the first night! It’s not all smooth sailing, she is still a little anxious around feet and will sway my ankles if I walk past her too quickly, but I’m super patient with her and spoil her to bits. :)
So here’s Grayson, a.k.a. Graysie, Princess Grace, The Graceface, Graysiebug, or Miss Alyssa Edwards (she clicks at me if she’s annoyed, like I’m taking too long with her food or not paying her enough attention, hahaha).

Sorry for the novel! Haha. I just love cats and could talk about them forever... Nice to meet you all!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello from the UK :welcomesign: What a wonderful story your awesome looking after those kitties. Congratulations on your fur baby I was so pleased when you said grayson walked inside with you, I'm a sucker for a happy ending :rock:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Kate and kitties, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skippyandjif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!

And I have no idea why my second picture posted upside-down, sorry for that; I posted both images from my phone but only one came out like that. Siiigh...technology. :gaah: (And I'm a computer programmer! So please nobody ever feel inept if you can't figure out something with your phone or whatnot, haha.)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Graysiebug (my favourite of her nicknames) is adorable. :catlove: Love how she just decided she was coming to live with you. :petcat:

Lex is gorgeous too, BTW.

Thanks, also, for all your do for the ferals in your area. We have a Caring for Strays and Ferals if you want to share their stories, or could use some support.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skippyandjif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!

And thanks, rubysmama rubysmama , for pointing me towards that forum. I’ve taken so many photos of my local feral colony over the years and I’d love to share them.

I do know that two of the kitties at least had a happy ending just like Graysie’s— they ended up being adopted by a family that lives over a nearby cookie factory. :happycat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Grayson! What a lucky girl she is, and what a smart girl, to follow you in and take life easy! I can't wait to see some of your feral photos.

Well, yours upside down, mine cropped...