Hi everyone. Post dental concerns.

carlieebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Need help for a worried cat mama. My cats name is Marble. He is 8 years old. He gets resorptive lesions on his teeth/gums. He went in to get 3 teeth removed last Tuesday since he was “chattering” from pain due to the lesions. Well they took out the teeth & he was on pain meds for a few days, was doing amazing, no chattering or signs of pain. But after that he is back to chattering pretty bad. I gave him some of the pain medicine but it’s still significant. Could he still be healing? I’m so worried something went wrong. I looked in his mouth & one of the bottom teeth they removed looks okay, a little red with no odor in the mouth. He’s also drooling here & there. He drooled pretty bad when he was drinking water from his fountain this morning. He is on Metacam twice a day for pain. Is he just adjusting? He’s eating fine, both his wet and dry.

edit: by chattering I mean like a lip smacking type thing

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lip smacking and drooling usually indicates nausea. It may be the metacam, that is one of it's biggest side effects. My cats had no pain meds and came through fine, you might call your vet and ask if you can discontinue. As long as he is eating/drinking/using the litter box and not hiding, that is good.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that what you describe sounds more like nausea. And when my cat had teeth removed because of FORLs, I also did not give any pain meds because he didn't seem to need them. They sent them home with us, but he seemed fine without them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carlieebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had initially stopped pain meds about three days after his surgery because he was doing great. I come back a day or so later and he is back to the lipsmacking without having pain meds. And the drooling is coming out of the left side of his mouth where he had that bottom premolar removed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Need help for a worried cat mama. My cats name is Marble. He is 8 years old. He gets resorptive lesions on his teeth/gums. He went in to get 3 teeth removed last Tuesday since he was “chattering” from pain due to the lesions. Well they took out the teeth & he was on pain meds for a few days, was doing amazing, no chattering or signs of pain. But after that he is back to chattering pretty bad. I gave him some of the pain medicine but it’s still significant. Could he still be healing? I’m so worried something went wrong. I looked in his mouth & one of the bottom teeth they removed looks okay, a little red with no odor in the mouth. He’s also drooling here & there. He drooled pretty bad when he was drinking water from his fountain this morning. He is on Metacam twice a day for pain. Is he just adjusting? He’s eating fine, both his wet and dry.

edit: by chattering I mean like a lip smacking type thing
What does his doctor say?

carlieebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does his doctor say?
His doctor said that it just may be his mouth trying to adjust. He was pawing at his mouth earlier, but it is only after he eat. I am hoping it is just the awkwardness of his food getting stuck between his gums? I am going in Saturday around noon. Just looking for some peace of mind. He is my whole world.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pawing generally indicates pain. Ask the vet for a different pain med than Metacam. There are better ones out there with fewer side effects.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he was my cat, I would ask for a prescription of Buprenorphine to give him. I wouldn’t give the Metacam due to the risk of kidney damage. Definitely, pawing at the mouth is a sign of severe pain.

carlieebug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They said it was possibly just taking longer to heal. Gave him a depo medrol injection and Buprenorphine to take for pain. Said if he doesn’t do better in a few days with that, he will get him in for possible other surgery. I am worried about the side effects of the depo ? I’ve read so many bad things 😞

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Well, not my personal favorite drug, but sure there was a reason they gave it to him. I’m not sure what that would be? Since I think that a steroid would delay the healing. But perhaps they did it for inflammation? I’m not really sure. Either way I would not be too concerned about him having one dose. He’s not overweight, right?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Me too. Please keep us posted. I hope he is doing much better by the time you read this.