Hi! Came here looking for advice

plombardy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am Paige from Alabama. I have four cats (well, two belong each to two daughters, but they seem to be mine now). I have Layla (age 13-15? Himmie rescue), Meetzi (age 4.5 rescue gray tabby w beige patches), Blitz (age 3, Blue Mitted Mink Ragdoll (but "Mink" so may or may not actually be a Ragdoll :)), and Orange (age 1.5-2 rescue sort of, Orange tabby) All but Blitz are female.

At any rate, for the past few months, the neighbor's cat has been hanging around our back porch which my cats can see. He is an intact male. He wasn't in great health, so I am feeding him and putting flea treatment on him monthly. So, I now having Blitz appearing to spray or maybe just pee on my furniture in the living room which is next to the porch. (Layla has always had issues with this since we became a multi-cat household.)

I am using Feliway which has helped reduce this incidence. He will also mark even a cardboard box. I guess my question is the neighbor's cat causing this? (And if so, I guess I need to quit taking care of him?) and also, if the neighbor's cat was fixed would it make a difference potentially?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, unfortunately, I believe the visiting neighbors cat is causing yours to spray. It is a territorial thing. If yours isn’t neutered you want to get that done but discouraging the other cat to visit is also needed to stop the spraying. Perhaps you can set up a feeding station for this cat farther away from the house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plombardy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Blitz is neutered...all of mine are "fixed". I have gotten mixed answers on that question, but it does make sense. The neighbor's cat (we call him Theo) is the sweetest cat, but I can't really just take him to be neutered, unfortunately. Thanks.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's most likely (like susanm9006 susanm9006 said0 spraying because he feels threatened/territorial because of Theo.
Although this probably won't completely eliminate the spraying, try giving him lots of attention, and don't punish him for spraying- If he's spraying out of anxiety, negative reaction to his spraying will only make him more anxious. If possible, reduce his view of Theo.
I also linked an article that deals with spraying and a second that deals with stress in cats:
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide
Hopefully, this helped!!! Good luck, and welcome to TCS!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-090208.gif
Paige and furballs, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
f851c27fdd9061c4fd6c73429ed0d92b.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Please post photos of your kitties for us to see! :camera: :camera: :camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink: