Hezký ate 18" braided cord - DAYS ago

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brand new here - I need help/input/a shoulder and not sure where to go in this forum . . . 

Hezký, my 2.5yo male tabby ate the 18" braided cord off of my medallion.

I'm kicking myself! For 22 years, the ONLY TIME that I take that medallion off is to bathe.

[that's beside the point - leaving out many unnecessary details - like WHY I wasn't paying attention - I knew he was playing with it -----}

This happened late Tuesday afternoon. [Nov. 1]

I didn't realize what had happened until the next evening.

[omitting more details]

Now, it's early Saturday [Nov. FIVE] and the gravity of the situation is JUST NOW hitting me full force.

He was ok until a few hours ago. When his sister gets her meds, she gets 'nummies.' Hezký's feet barely touch the floor, he's in the kitchen that fast when he hears the jar rattle. Friday night, he just laid there in the living room and looked at me. Then he verrrrry slowly got up and walked into the kitchen like nummies-time was no big deal. [IT IS]

His vet's clinic opens in 5 hours and I WILL be calling!

Am I right in thinking that this will mean he needs surgery - since it's been days? ANY chance it'll make it thru his guts??

I'm leaving tons of info out - if this sounds cold, that's why. Trying to leave out unnecessary stuff like how bad _I_ feel and just give facts about my baby boy so he'll be ok.

Is anyone awake at 3am central?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has your cat pooped normally since eating the braided cord? Have you noticed anything unsual when scooping the litter box? If your cat has NOT pooped at all, that is cause for serious concern as the cord may very well be lodged in the intestine somewhere and is causing discomfort and clogging everything up.

I would call the vet NOW and see if the after hours voicemail message has information of who who to call for emergencies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you LTS3!

We just got back from a 90 minute appt. They have to sedate him before even getting him out of his carrier . . . :(

X-rays do NOT show a blockage. There IS a suspicious shadow that MAY be intestinal bloating/inflammation and could MAYBE be from the cord. Watch him this weekend - if he starts vomiting, they'll send us to have an ultrasound done the beginning of the week. But there's no "accordion-ing" of his intestines, so that's good. Hoping he ate it in pieces! Maybe he got bored with it, hid it for later and forgot about it? IDK. I've looked for it . . .

So he's ok, we get to play "watch and see."

He HAS pooped - a couple of times - since Tuesday night. Not quite diarrhea, but not formed either. No sign of cord pieces.

He has a very sensitive gut and soft poop or really stinky poop once in a while is pretty normal for him.

He hasn't eaten yet today, but neither has his little sister. OR ME. We'll settle down and get hungry soon.

==========

NOW, that I'm not scared and worried, I am very angry and would appreciate some input on those issues as well. As I've been writing this, I realized I have enough issues with this experience that I AM going to follow up with the head of the clinic, who is also one of our regular vets. But I'm going to make a separate thread for that. {We had to see a new-to-us vet. 2 thumbs and 4 paws DOWN.]

Thank you! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hezký and I saw his REAL vet Monday afternoon and we repeated the x-rays. NO sign of blockage at all! So he either swallowed it in a nice bunch - or more likely cut it in pieces while chewing on it. Vet says he  shouldn't have any problem passing it because it's far enough through the tricky parts of his gut that we don't have to worry. YAY!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, that's a great outcome! As you seem well aware, it could have been much worse.
I experienced something similar with my Pushy, who ate a long piece of kitchen string once that was around a roast. We didn't even notice and he was ill for about a week (diarrhea, no appetite). Thankfully he expelled it without damage to his intestines and was fine. Our vet just said to keep an eye on him - but no one knew he'd eaten a string.