Hey guys is it healthy to put sweaters on my cat with heart problems?

skylarrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has weak heart muscles, (he’s 18yr old) and I know that often times with heart issues it’s difficult for animals to warm up as well. I was wondering if I should put sweaters on my cat more often (the ones we have for my dog fit him) he doesn’t mind the sweaters at all and likes them but I’m just trying to weigh out all my options so I can help him live as long as possible :) I’ve had this man since I was 4 and I’m 22 now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He would very much appreciate a heated cat pad placed under a blanket. or a heated bed. you are right, they feel colder and they are because just like older humans their slower blood circulation means they can't warm their blood up as efficiently. Cats like temps around 102 degrees F, my older cats absolutely lounge on their beds all day. I have 6 of them for my feral cats. They can move then if they get too hot. As for the sweaters, if he likes them, keep them on, but check frequently every few days or so to make sure his fur isn't getting matted. I would leave them off to allow him to groom, etc. with a new bed, he may not need them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skylarrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He would very much appreciate a heated cat pad placed under a blanket. or a heated bed. you are right, they feel colder and they are because just like older humans their slower blood circulation means they can't warm their blood up as efficiently. Cats like temps around 102 degrees F, my older cats absolutely lounge on their beds all day. I have 6 of them for my feral cats. They can move then if they get too hot. As for the sweaters, if he likes them, keep them on, but check frequently every few days or so to make sure his fur isn't getting matted. I would leave them off to allow him to groom, etc. with a new bed, he may not need them!