Herpes Virus question?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Morning,

My Ollie is about 13 months old. He had the herpes viral infection as a kitten and I understand he will always have this. I give him lysine daily. We are experiencing a flare up I guess. He is sneezing a lot and his eyes are a bit runny. I don't see any yellow or green discharge from either his nose or eyes. I do have drops for his eyes if I need them. My question is: do I take him to the vet? Or is this something I just wait out since it's viral and see how he does as long as his breathing doesn't become compromised or I notice yellow/green discharge. He is currently still eating, drinking, playing - maybe not as much as usual?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Has be been seen by a vet for this before? Did they test for FIV?

One of my cats has herpes too and lysine and eyedrops haven't been working for her. I know what it is now so I don't take her in unless there are complications from the flare up. For example, a severe eye infection.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you as if I don't see your kitty but with my cat if she's getting nutrition (eating, not puking, no diarrhea), no emergency situation including no skin/eye infection, I don't take Hima to the vet as the stress of going there makes the situation worse for her. But if I don't see any improvement for the better in couple days, or if I see things getting worse, I would at least give the vet a call and ask if they have a suggestion to try like a supplement I can buy from them, or if I need to take her in.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As noted above, talk to your vet about an anti-viral med to give to Ollie on an ongoing basis to possibly help reduce flare ups. The only other thing you need to consider is that a flare up can lead to a secondary infection which would require antibiotics to get rid of it. You can probably wait a couple of days to see if his symptoms diminish or escalate, as in the changes you suggested. And, lastly, these cats do better if they are strictly indoor cats so as not be exposed to outside elements.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you know he has herpes and he doesn't have discolored discharge and he's eating, playing, and still eating, I would keep an eye on him. If you notice him getting congested or if the nasal discharge changes color, then I'd get him to the vet right away. Is it possible he is having seasonal allergies? I know they've been bad where I live this winter. (Thank you Mountain Cedar!) I would try an antihistamine to see if that helps. We give loratidine, 5mg (half of a 10mg tablet) once a day. I crush with a spoon into wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks. He does not take anti virals. He just has the herpes respiratory virus as a kitten and the vet said he will have it his life. He is FIV negative. The lysine dose help and he occasionally gets red eyes - the so vet gives me eye drops for him which I've only had to use once since starting the lysine. This would be the first time he is sneezing this much. He usually sneezes more than my other two but noticeably more. He seems very normal otherwise and still no discoloured eye discharge or mucous. I will keep watching him. I may also just call the vet they are pretty good about advising over the phone.