Herpes outbreak

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My colony is having a herpes outbreak and I don't know what to do.

Mama kitty has a runny eye and it's swollen. She hasn't been eating much all week and I just found out why. I saw her swollen eye yesterday.

I used to give them L-lysine every day twice a day to keep it in check but they stopped eating food with the L-lysine in it months ago.

I don't really have much money and I'm not able to order online but is there something else I can try giving her before she gets real bad?

I have another cat who has had runny eyes all week but is still eating ok.

I put some L-lysine in mama's food this morning but she only took a few licks and walked away. She didn't even come back for her dry food.

The only place I could even look for something else that anyone recommends is the Vitamin Shoppe.

Thanks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use this
It is also available in treat form.  My vet sells it too.  You might be able to get it at your local vet.  You also could try a local pet store as they may sell some treats that have lysine in them.  During outbreaks you need to double the dose.

I often offer tuna or some smell fish during outbreaks as cats won't eat what they can't smell.   So you need something stinky.  You also could just try mixing a bit of the tuna water/oil into some food with a bit of flaked tuna.  Liquids are very important.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 If it appears that a bacterial infection is setting in and you need to give them antibiotics, the least expensive way is to give them Fishmox (Amoxicillin that is legal to purchase without a script for fish) in their food. You mix 500mg (two 250 mg capsules) with 10ml of water, and give each cat 1ml in their food twice a day for 7-10 days. You can purchase an ml syringe and it's quite easy to measure, mix, and store in the fridge. You need to mix it in with smelly wet food or in a dab of tuna in their food. I don't know how you'd get the accurate dose into each cat, though, since you're feeding multiple cats, but anything you can get into them is better than nothing.  Not all URI's need antibiotics, but if your cats get bad conjunctivitis in their eyes, or become fatigued, listless, feverish, lacking in appetite, or the URI doesn't improve within about 3 weeks, then chances are they will need an antibiotic.  I am not a vet or vet tech, so I'm only sharing this based on my experience of caring for sick or injured feral cats, and if you have questions, please do your own research or ask your vet.   

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Amoxicillin-Capsules-250mg/Oral-Antibiotics

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I use this
It is also available in treat form.  My vet sells it too.  You might be able to get it at your local vet.  You also could try a local pet store as they may sell some treats that have lysine in them.  During outbreaks you need to double the dose.

I often offer tuna or some smell fish during outbreaks as cats won't eat what they can't smell.   So you need something stinky.  You also could just try mixing a bit of the tuna water/oil into some food with a bit of flaked tuna.  Liquids are very important.
Yes, I know my cat's will eat that L-lysine but my vet won't sell it to me without seeing the cat. I don't have a way to order it online. I should have tried finding someone a long time ago to order this for me to have on hand as this is not the first outbreak we have had.

Mama cat will not eat anything with tuna or tuna juice in it. She is not a big fan of fish flavored cat food either. Her eye looks much worse then yesterday, hopefully I can get her to take the antibiotics I have and maybe that will help. I just need to get her to eat the food.

I know she doesn't feel good because she's not even out on my front porch with the others. I think she is hiding and sleeping in the neighbors bushes by herself. Poor baby, I just want her to get better.

Thanks.

Hopefully I can find someone to order the L-lysine you suggested for next time. I know there will be a next time but they had been doing so good for almost a year.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, I know my cat's will eat that L-lysine but my vet won't sell it to me without seeing the cat. I don't have a way to order it online. I should have tried finding someone a long time ago to order this for me to have on hand as this is not the first outbreak we have had.

Mama cat will not eat anything with tuna or tuna juice in it. She is not a big fan of fish flavored cat food either. Her eye looks much worse then yesterday, hopefully I can get her to take the antibiotics I have and maybe that will help. I just need to get her to eat the food.

I know she doesn't feel good because she's not even out on my front porch with the others. I think she is hiding and sleeping in the neighbors bushes by herself. Poor baby, I just want her to get better.

Thanks.

Hopefully I can find someone to order the L-lysine you suggested for next time. I know there will be a next time but they had been doing so good for almost a year.
Pet stores or a Feed Supply Store might have it.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just talked with my vet office and they will let me purchase that L-lysine since I had taken Snickers in before. She is one of my feral cats.

I'm going to pick it up today. Should I start mama kitty on antibiotics also?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start her on the antibiotics if you have enough to give it to her for at least for a week. Try baking an unseasoned chicken breast with skin on it and give her the broth to drink with some chicken. It will smell good enough for her to eat. Try mixing the antibiotic in a peace of chicken. Or try those pill pocket treats. Be sure you give her a full course of antibiotics because if you don't the infection will return.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also try making bone broth.  It's a very nutritious healthy and appetizing meal for sick kitties.  It does take about 24 hours to make.  I used it with a very sick kitty who did not want to eat.  It can be used just as a meal or as topper.

Here is a link to making it

I do mine in a slow cooker after it has been cooked for a few hours on the stove top and the meat removed.  I also save some of the meat to give the sick kitties. 

I have made this loads of times so feel free to ask me questions.  It's pretty cheap as you only need a whole chicken.  You also can freeze the broth to save to use later.  I rarely find that I have left over.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You can also try making bone broth.  It's a very nutritious healthy and appetizing meal for sick kitties.  It does take about 24 hours to make.  I used it with a very sick kitty who did not want to eat.  It can be used just as a meal or as topper.

Here is a link to making it

I do mine in a slow cooker after it has been cooked for a few hours on the stove top and the meat removed.  I also save some of the meat to give the sick kitties. 

I have made this loads of times so feel free to ask me questions.  It's pretty cheap as you only need a whole chicken.  You also can freeze the broth to save to use later.  I rarely find that I have left over.
 I bought a small can of the Nutro Duck to see if I can get her to eat. She has not eaten today.

Would I mix the antibiotic and lysine together in the same meal? I hope so because she is one that won't come close and I am having a hard time getting her to eat. She also eats very slow and the others get done and then go after her food and she won't fight for her food.

I have one more question I had been finding vomit every day for the past week in my driveway, do they usually get sick like that with the herpes virus. Yesterday was the first day her eye was swollen and today it looks really bad. It seems painful and is draining clear fluid.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can mix the two together, but the antibiotic might be more helpful. 

Vomit is usually not part of herpes respiratory that I know of.  Is there any way to get her to a vet?

I have an indoor kitty with recurrent herpes.  He has one eye that runs every single day of his life.  When he flares up, the eye gets very red, but the fluid is usually still clear.  When it turns green or yellow and he refuses to eat I know that he may need antibiotics.  He also gets very lethargic.  I have been able to keep the flare ups to a minimum and he hasn't needed antibiotics in 2 years.  I used to give lysine daily, but switched to this     last year.  It has worked very well. 

I would be concerned about the daily vomit.  Are you sure it's her?  That sounds more like the food is not agreeing with her or there is a food allergy.

I hope she starts to eat soon.  I understand not being able to get her to a vet if she is feral.  Try your best to get the lysine or the antibiotic down her daily.  I mix my antibiotic in Gerber stage 2 turkey baby food.  My feral never knows it is there.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's not eating then I hope you can try to find some way to get the antibiotics in her. Try the chicken broth to keep her hydrated- fluids are very important, especially if she's vomiting. If the eye is worsening, L Lysine may not enough to help her, she needs antibiotics. If you could trap her and get her to a vet, they could give her a shot of Convenia, which is a long lasting antibiotic. It does cost about 60 dollars, though, so this may not be an option for you if you're financially stressed. Poor kitty, I hope you'll be able to help her.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried giving mama kitty food last night with the antibiotics in it and she would not eat it. Since this company changed this Fishmox I get, the cats don't seem to take it as easy as before.

This morning I tried again but she just took a few licks and walked away. I don't know what else to do. I don't have any canned chicken or tuna and worst of all I can't get a ride to get some baby food until Monday.

I can't keep wasting the antibiotics as I only have twelve left and no money to buy more. The only thing I could find in my cupboard is a can of reduced sodium chicken broth. Do you think it would be okay to try this?

If not I have to wait until Monday to get the baby food.

Taking her to the vet is not an option at this time. I have wrote before how I struggle to buy us food after paying bills and keeping the cats all fed. I only have $100.00 for food for the month, that's not much for 3 people.

I have to just pray she will start feeling well enough to want to eat the baby food when I can get it. Maybe I should just start out with the lysine in her food so I'm not wasting the antibiotics.

I went through this last year with another feral cat Tiger who didn't eat for 4 days but finally I got her to eat some baby food with antibiotics in it. It was a slow process but each day I could get her to eat more and more.

Do you think the canned chicken broth would be okay to try for now mixed in a little cat food. I don't see her much, she is hiding somewhere next door.

We could use some prayers our way that she will start eating soon.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely try mixing it in some chicken broth.  If you have any canned cream of chicken soup you can make your own baby food with the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth.  Just blend together until a smooth consistency.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I would definitely try mixing it in some chicken broth.  If you have any canned cream of chicken soup you can make your own baby food with the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth.  Just blend together until a smooth consistency.
Thanks for that advice, I'm going to ask some neighbors if anyone has a can of cream of chicken I can borrow. My cupboards are pretty empty and was surprised to even find a can of chicken broth.

I just noticed a few minutes ago Christopher has a runny eye. I don't think I'm going to have enough antibiotics for all the cats. Since Mama is the worst right now should I try and get the antibiotics into her?

I started all the cats on the l-lysine last night but forgot to put it on the food this morning. I'm so afraid that they are all going to get bad at the same time.

Christopher is still eating good and finishing all his food at this point.

I get so stressed out when I can't help them and end up having a Fibromyalgia flare that lands me in bed for days at a time. I also have an out break of Psoiasis which is caused by stress. What more could go wrong.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely concentrate on Mama and give Christopher the lysine for now.  Mama needs the meds. 

I can certainly relate to being so worried about them and feeling helpless.  Hopefully you can get Mama to eat/drink a bit with the medicine. 

Also I know it's super hard, but try to stay calm around Mama and the others.  They really pick up on the emotions and if they sense you are frantic, they will often keep their distance.  If you remain calm and act as though nothing is wrong and it's just a normal feeding time, they might be more willing. 

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was not able to get a can of cream of Chicken, I only have the chicken broth for now. Mama is not really hanging around here, I think she is sleeping in my neighbors bushes. I have not seen her since this morning.

Do you think she could recover enough to want to eat again? She is a little more feral then her daughters and I can't make her come around to eat. Tiger did this last March where she slept in the neighbors tall grass and really looked like she was dying but she finally after 3 or 4 days came to the porch and I could get her to eat small amounts of baby food with tiny amounts of antibiotics.

I just got a call from a lady down the road and going to get some baby food. I just don't know how I will get her to eat.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just give her time.  Rest is so needed.  I have dealt with both indoor cats with the herpes virus and 2 of my outside ferals having an outbreak.  One handled it without any meds at all.  He refused the meds and the lysine, but after a few days he did begin to eat again.  He did nothing but sleep for days.  With an indoor cat it is a bit easier as you can syringe or pill the cat for the meds. 

Give her a few days and just offer a dish of food with medicine and one with just plain food (with lots of moisture).  She can choose what she needs.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending you 30 fishmox pills, it will be put in the mail tomorrow. Is there a way you can get her to come into your house? Would that be a possibility? You would be in a better position to take care of her inside. 3 years ago I was in the same dilemma as you. My feral cat, muffin, had a bad URI that turned into a severe eye infection. Luckily, he ate food with antibiotics in it everyday for almost two weeks, and I was able to save his eye and cure the pneumonia that had begun to set in. I know exactly how helpless and worried we can get when one of our ferals is ill. If there is any way that you can trap or lure her to get her inside your house and put her in a room by herself where she could be safe and warm and well cared for, then give it your best shot. But only if you feel you can do it, because if you try to catch her and are unsuccessful, she may not want to come around for a few days. My prayers for you and your kitty. I wanted to add that you should talk to her, and let her know that you love her and want to help her, and that you want her to fight to live. I do believe it is possible to communicate our love and intention to our cats.

Last edited: