Hermaphroditism

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have much knowledge about what is normal in a cat, especially male cats. Ritz is my first cat ever and female. I've done a lot of TNing but never socialized a cat on my own.
Hercules has always been inordinately friendly, especially for a stray/dumped cat. At the cat colony, he would routinely climb on my lap and scent mark me all around.
About six months after I TNRd him, he showed up at the colony with a chunk of fur missing around the side of the neck area that had been professionally cleaned and sutured.
I decided to remove him from the colony on Saturday because of the bitter cold weather (and snow is predicted). He is settling in nicely. He continues to scent mark me and often rolls on his side, exposing his belly.
BUT (you knew there was one), this morning around midnight I woke up to some gentle yeowling. I went in to see him and he could not get enough loving. Climbed on my lap, scent marked me continuously; at one point I cradled him in my lap, belly up, his head in my paw, my thumb gently rubbing his area above the nose. He didn't really stick his butt up high but again he couldn't get enough loving from me.
Hercules was neutered in May 2012 by a high volume, low cost, well respected organization (TNRd). He has some 'jewels; outside he is clearly male.
I know it is possible but unlikely that a cat is a Hermaphrodite. My question is: what medical tests are performed to confirm whether he is 'heat'. And when/if I do introduce Ritz and Hercules, what behavior may I expect from Hercules if in fact he goes in/out of heat.
I don't expect to introduce Ritz to him soon. He is in the process of being dewormed--prescription dewormer from a cat sanctuary where I volunteer. Might have some allergies or herpes (sneezes occasionally). He is negative for FIV/FelK. Not microchipped.
I do not know whether I will keep Hercules, it depends on Ritz. I do plan on keeping him until at least mid March when the weather gets warmer and when a winter coat isn't necessary. And if I keep Hercules, I will get pet insurance (I have it on Ritz.)
Thanks for reading and any advice.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting.  After your post, I did some research, and it IS possible for a cat to be both male and female.  I found an article about a cat who was first neutered, than later spayed after showing signed of being in heat!  Here's where I read that:  http://messybeast.com/mosaicism2.htm

As to how to test for it, how Ritz might react, etc., those questions I can't answer for sure.  I would think a simple xray would show if he has ovaries, and if he's uncomfortable when he comes into season,then I would think he should be spayed as well.  Then there wouldn't be an issue

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His behavior is fairly normal for a cat who has been lonely and wants to make up for lost time :D. So give him some time to settle in before getting too worried. If he does continue showing heat-like symptoms, I think the best way to find mystery organs is by ultrasound.

You say he showed up once with sutures. . .do you think he hangs around anybody's house or do you think it was another feral caretaker who did it? If someone thinks he's their pet it seems a shame that they won't know what happened to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if he has another caretaker, but if so I'm not too impressed by the caretaker: no cat should be left outside in this weather. But yes, were the roles reversed, I'd be worried. It is something I struggle with.
I am reminded of "Petey", another cat who we removed from the colony to socialize. Definitely previously owned, the owner moved and left his cat behind. Petey could not get enough loving, but once adopted into a furever home and as an only cat, grew less demanding.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with W Willowy - that sounds like pretty normal behavior for a stray that feels he's finally in a safe place.

We had a hermaphrodite for several years - ZsaZsa. "She" belonged to neighbors who moved to the next county, and we ended up taking her in when she kept traveling a long distance along busy roads to get "home". Our former neighbors told us she was a spayed female. A while after she began living with us, I was petting her belly and noticed that she had a very small penis and scrotum in addition to a vagina! She was examined by ultrasound, and it turned out that she also had undescended testicles, so we had her castrated (cancer risk; she didn't mark in the house). The wife spoke very little German and said the vet told her "something" when ZsaZsa was spayed, but she didn't understand and didn't pursue it. Her husband and little boy never noticed anything odd. :lol3: ZsaZsa was very dainty, so we just kept referring to her as a "she". We returned her to her original owners when they moved back to Croatia.

ZsaZsa was my second encounter with a hermaphrodite. I took an anatomy/physiology course back in school which required dissection of a shark, a cat and a lizard. My lab mate and I shared a table with two guys who had a lot of trouble determining the sex of their cat. The teacher wasn't sure, either, and consulted the University of Pennsylvania veterinary school. The cat was both male and female.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. She didn't make a sound last night. She is still friendly, but not as frantically so. He will lay in my lap, belly side up and purr while I am petting her. Sometimes give love bites.
I have posted on Craig's list and another found cat site. And will post a notice on the condo buildings near she hangs out. If I (well, Ritz) decide to adopt Hercules, I want to do so in good conscious.

tiff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Ritz, I was told there is a blood test to detect if a cat has both male and female hormones and chromosomes. My vet said it has been used on other animals and he thinks it will work for cars but I was told it costs around $400.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when we had the feline geneticist here for an expert forum and the question was asked about the prevalence of male calicos.  She talked about chimera cats which were actually two cats that fused in utero.. I  would guess that hermaphroditism could happen if it were a male and female,  The male calicos would be the male and female.  Here is one article on it http://www.webvet.com/main/2012/09/01/what-chimera-cat   A google search actually brings up a list of articles about it.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Hercules is all male; I just wasn't use to an affectionate cat!