Hepatic lipidosis, feeding tube and getting worse

anon442

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have a 4 year old beautiful domestic longhair about 6.5 lbs who stopped eating for a few days about a month ago. I took her to the hospital where they gave her some anti nausea med, IV fluids, and appetite stimulant. After a night, she was eating some food again so they sent her home with me with a diagnosis of hepatic lipidosis, an appetite stimulant, anti nausea med, and advice to feed her lots. At home, I was getting her to eat steadily more over 3 weeks until she was eating about 7 oz of canned food a day but she was still a lot less energetic than before and spent most of her time in her bed. This all got worse when she threw up 3 times after breakfast one morning. I took her back to the hospital where they put a feeding tube in her and I took her home again with the same diagnosis. This time she was prescribed prednisolone for the liver swelling and ursodiol for liver recovery. However, even with the meds, food through the tube, and lots of love for 3 days, she seems to be getting less and less energetic. I don't understand what the problem could be as her blood tests showed nothing abnormal other than the liver values and an ultrasound revealed nothing but an enlarged liver. I can't keep taking her back to the hospital for the same diagnosis and a $3k bill each time and nothing they do seems to be helping. I'm starting to think that she's dying and it's breaking my heart. She spends more and more of her time in bed and seems weaker and weaker. Does anyone have any idea about this? I feel like the vet must be missing something since hepatic lipidosis should be cured by food.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you try a different vet/emergency vet? The same vet might keep trying the same things and give the same results, but a second opinion by another trained professional/staff might yield some different results.
If you do go for a second opinion, make sure to bring all documents/copies from the first place and let them know that it is NOT working. This could even help save time/money in not trying the same failed treatments.
I wish you the best and I hope your beautiful girl has a fast and complete recovery.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hepatic Lipidosis is usually brought on because of something else, and THAT needs to be treated along with the H/L. Sometimes the Vets cannot ever figure out what that "something else" is, but they often will at least treat with some antibiotics just in case there is an infection somewhere. I had a cat with H/L many, many years ago and they treated with antibiotics along with the feeding tube, but he never got any liver supplements, I think because it was so long ago they weren't aware of them.

Are they having you feed her a recovery food like Hills A/D? How about fluids? Are you giving her sub-q fluids? And is she getting extra B12 shots or anything like that?

If nothing else, I would CALL the Vet and report her status, that she appears to be getting worse, not better. I she's been eating well for several weeks now, and you've been able to get a good portion of food into her with the feeding tube, she really should be perking up unless the underlying condition is getting worse. You might ask the Vet if an antibiotic might be in order. Or if one of the meds she is on now might be causing her lethargy. There are other liver supplements she could try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anon442

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also had the concern about an underlying condition but the doctors did not find anything from her bloodwork and ultrasound other than the liver issue. She did throw up about 2 weeks before all this started due to what looked like a hairball. I wonder if that triggered a food aversion.

She is on Royal Canin high calorie diet right now. She's getting water through the tube also. I haven't heard about B12 from the vet and I'll go read about it now.

I asked the vet about her condition and they said as long as she is not vomiting, still getting her food, and using the litter box, she should be fine. I have read that prednisolone could cause lethargy but I can't find anything about how long the lethargy should last. She received antibiotics when at the vet.

I found the feline grimace scale for measuring pain and she looks ok based on that. She just has no energy for much more than purring when I pet her and using the litter box. I will continue to keep a close eye on her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may need subQ water too, dehydration can definitely make them lethargic. Or call the vet and see how much water she should be getting, and can you increase it. Liver problems do that too. A supplement may be needed as stated above. They may need to adjust her steroid dose too. The liver can repair itself, but slowly, and it does need steady nutirtion. You might get some Hartz Delectable Lickables at Walmart or Target or Amazon, my cats have leukemia and it is the ONLY thing that keeps them going when they have flareups. It wouldn't hurt to try, it doesn't hurt a cat at all to eat with a tube inserted, The tube is removed when they are eating normally. The weakness is very concerning. Please know I will pray for your little girl......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anon442

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I love her so much. She might be a little better today. She came out of her bed and sat next to me for a good while but didn't do much else.