Henry is driving me nuts!

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cannot convince him to stop scratching the carpet! He knows it's wrong and stops as soon as I say no, but I am trying to get him to scratch the appropriate places instead and he still just keeps scratching the carpet. I have a kitty condo/tree, a small scratching post, and one of those cardboard scratchers, and since he likes carpet I just recently got one of those pads that's more like regular carpet, and while I see him using the posts occasionally he will not use the cardboard and doesn't seem to grasp the concept of using his own little carpet instead of the regular one. Every time I catch him scratching the carpet I move him to an appropriate place but he still doesn't seem to get it (he doesn't scratch the new, correct area when I move him there). I don't know what else to do! Luckily I cannot see any areas where he has actually damaged the carpet but I assume he will if he keeps doing it!

Well, at least the new carpet is getting some use as Jack seems to like to lay on it. :p

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sprinkling catnip on the places you want him to scratch? Putting his scratching things over the area is a good idea. If it isn't working, you might try tinfoil or double sided sticky tape instead.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SPraying a little citronella or lemon oil might help as most cats hate it, but it can discolour a dark carpet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did put out some catnip and they do seem to be acting loopy.
They're only about four months old and I haven't been using it as I'd read you shouldn't give it to kittens? But I had some and put it out and did manage to get Henry to scratch the cardboard a little bit. I do have some spray too so I'll put some of that on stuff too unless I shouldn't?

Covering things with alumninum foil or sticky tape really isn't an option since there isn't a particular spot, he'll scratch anywhere on the carpet. Would spraying the entire carpet with citronella or lemon oil be an option? It's beige colored carpet. If so, where do I get something like that?

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I must also add that I have been doing my idiotic best to mimic scratching and make it seem like the best thing on earth when done at the appropriate place. The funny thing is usually when I take Henry somewhere to try to teach him, his brother will follow and immediately scratch. I'm like Henry, come ON, watch and learn! LOL

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can buy one of those floor computer mats and put it on the spot but put it upside down, so the points are facing up. You can also spray the carpet with feliway spray to neutralize the scent- he is depositing his scent on the carpet and making it a safe place for him to scratch- Until you get rid of his scent, he will continue going to that spot to scratch-

kittycatlover24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you keep the scratching post near where they sleep, sometimes that helps. Do they have one spot that they scratch or are they all over, if it's one spot you may need to remove their scent sometimes that causes them to go back to the same spot. Something else you could try is lemon potporrie or orange peels. If none of this doesn't work, you could try and squirt them with a water gun, very nicely or get a very loud whistle. But if you can try and play with them and feed them next to the cat post and there bed that would help too. Keep us posted on your progress.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't use a squirt bottle or squirt gun. Not a good idea- Your cat is being just that, a cat. He is not trying to upset you or make you angry. He feels safe in your home and his putting his signature scent on the carpet is a compliment. Punishing him for it is just not the wise thing to do. Redirecting him is the answer-

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You said that when you catch your cat scratching in the wrong spot you move him to an appropriate item to scratch on. I'm wondering, when you move him to his scratching post or whatever, do you actually take his front paws and show him what you want him to do? I think you mentioned showing him by performing the behavior yourself. Did you mean that you are doing the scratching and want him to imitate you? Or are you taking his paws in your hands gently and scratching with them? I taught my cats to use one of those cardboard scratch pads by showing them what it was for. I held their paws and showed them how to scratch on it, and it seemed to work. Combined with the catnip, they seem to like it better than scratching on the matress.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MusicTeacher

You said that when you catch your cat scratching in the wrong spot you move him to an appropriate item to scratch on. I'm wondering, when you move him to his scratching post or whatever, do you actually take his front paws and show him what you want him to do? I think you mentioned showing him by performing the behavior yourself. Did you mean that you are doing the scratching and want him to imitate you? Or are you taking his paws in your hands gently and scratching with them? I taught my cats to use one of those cardboard scratch pads by showing them what it was for. I held their paws and showed them how to scratch on it, and it seemed to work. Combined with the catnip, they seem to like it better than scratching on the matress.
I've both showed him doing it myself and taking his paws to show him to scratch. Their scratching posts are in various areas of the house, including one by their food. Maybe I'll look for some lemon scented carpet spray or something. Where can I get the feliway spray?

Saying his name sternly, or saying no sternly, gets him to stop, I just can't figure out how to prevent him from doing it in the first place! I will try out your guys' suggestions.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Waddle

I've both showed him doing it myself and taking his paws to show him to scratch. Their scratching posts are in various areas of the house, including one by their food. Maybe I'll look for some lemon scented carpet spray or something. Where can I get the feliway spray?

Saying his name sternly, or saying no sternly, gets him to stop, I just can't figure out how to prevent him from doing it in the first place! I will try out your guys' suggestions.
It seems to be working for you to say "no!". I know it seems annoying to keep going and going in telling him that, but it WILL sink in. Kitties love to make their humans happy...so he'll catch on to that being an indicator that you DON'T like him doing that.

As I've mentioned, things took a long time for our male Hobbes to understand...he just wasn't the brightest bulb in the bunch...but he does listen now, and is VERY well behaved.

Something to remember...kittens are so caught up in the excitement of life, they often forget what they're allowed and not allowed to do. Just remind yourself that as they get older, they'll remember more. You're laying a great groundwork with what you're doing...and I promise that in the next six months you'll see a change, and notice them listening more.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to go the lemon route, maybe as well as other things, you can buy lemon juic spray at any supermarket, and citronella oil in a health food store or at some pharmacies. Or scatter lemon/orange rind, as suggested - most cats hate the smell of citrus. I also scatter heavy sisal mats around the place - the cats love those and go for them in preference to the carpet.