Hemp or CBD for Anxiety?

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hemp is much cheaper than CBD. Which would be preferred for an older cat with anxiety?

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i tried some hemp type treats and my cat would not eat them. so i never got to know if it worked at all.

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I tried Marys Whole Pet gel pen transdermal gel- made from organic hemp oil- they have a website called Marys Nutritionals- but I got on Amazon because thats where I originally saw it. There were great reviews on the whole. My cat Gem has since passed away but I found this when looking for ways to combat her stress and it did seem to make a difference. Originally had tried CBD oil for pets a couple of years ago but it didnt agree with her so really excited to see gel I could just put on specific part of inner ear. There are instructions on packaging- and I usually as with anything gave her less than recommended because she was ill- and probably would be gradual to see how it goes with yours. Also I had Feliway infusers plugged in
- and when she had to go to vet I would use the Feliway spray on inside of her carrier. One of my vets used to use on the hospital towels to calm the cats.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with CBD is that we just don’t know very much about it, how it works or even whether it works at all.

There have been some small studies and anecdotal evidence which suggest that CBD does have some good effects but there haven’t been any repeatable, controlled studies to tell us one thing or another. It is, very much, still up in the air.

We do know that CBD can interfere with some other medications but we have zero information on what the long term health effects are.

Remember that cannabis, in ALL of its forms is still illegal in the USA. Some states have legalized it for medical use but the Federal government still classifies it as illegal for ANY use. This means that it is illegal to do research on CBD for any reason.

Basically, it all comes down to this... We don’t know the truth because we will never be able do the research needed in order to find out what the truth really is until somebody changes the laws.

Then there are the Naturalistic Fallacies. People think that, because something is "natural" that it must be good. Not everything that comes from nature is good all of the time. Apples are good food for people to eat but, as you might know, apple seeds contain cyanide. Yes, the amount is very small but it's still enough to make children or small animals get sick if they eat enough of them. You can't say that, because apples are "natural" they must always be good. Everything, be it natural or not has good points and bad points. It is up to each person to know the good and bad of the foods they eat or the substances they use as medicine then make an informed decision on whether that thing is right for them.

Another problem comes when people think, "If something is good for me, it must be good for my cat, too."
Grapes are good food for people to eat but not for cats. If a cat eats grapes, they can cause kidney failure in less than 24 hours!
Ibuprofen is a good medicine for people but it's can be deadly toxic to a cat.

Personally, I am encouraged by all the good news that I hear about CBD but I am not willing to make a recommendation to anybody until I know more about whether it actually works, what problems it actually helps and whether there are any side effects.

Until we know more, I am not willing to recommend giving CBD to your cat, either.

We're not going to be able to find out much more until our government leaders get off of their collective lazy butts and change the laws to allow necessary research to be done.

I think that more people should be knocking on their government representatives doors, demanding that they sponsor legislation to allow proper medical research to be done on CBD in order to find out whether it really works.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Caspers Human ...hemp since 2018 Farm Act is legal to possess, ship in mail , use, fly with on airplanes etc etc in all 50 states.
I use it myself for anxiety etc with zero high...unless feeling better, calmer, focused is a "high" then book me Dano!

I found it online for 37 dollars an ounce, organic, outdoor grown in Oregon and I dont smoke it but vape it at 275 on my induction cooktop. Zero products of combustion carbon monoxide, benzenes etc that way and never a cough. Helps CLEAR my head- with more focus, better workouts and believe or not CBD is the antidote to THC overdoses I discovered. A company is working on a patent cause THC can be very bad in overdoses. CBD does nothing for my headaches though....

Not sure about flying to other countries with it. I grow it for my cat now 19 who has loved the fresh new baby leaves for her entire life.
The older leaves have tiny hairs on them so thats an irritant. Also more than just a tiny amount comes back up like kitty grass.
She prefers the fresh hemp leaves over catnip every time. Some cats like her two housemates don't like it but she begs for it after I go outside sometimes. It is involved in homeostasis in humans. Every humans brain has cannabinoid receptors we were born with.
I just sprayed Natures Miracle just for cats Calming Spray (smells nice like flower extracts? in her cat carrier before our vet visit but she still cried and was anxious.
It worked better for her boyfriend in our move than the two other cats.Chewys had it on sale about $3.50 for 8 ounces a while back.
United Hemp heads local delta 9 out...The VCA emergency vet just perscribed Neurontin (Gabapentin for pain) and she later jumped up on my chair then FELL OFF and could have hurt herself high as a kite. I gave the precise dose.
DSCN3754.JPG
DSCN3753.JPG
DSCN3753.JPG

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use CBD for Links arthritis and Rockets anxiety. Based on my own research, CBD without the THC from hemp sources is legal and can be shipped anywhere in the USA. The problem is Marijuana derived CBD and CBD with THC legality also with some agencies recognizing the difference. I've tried both hemp derived and Marijuana derived as they are both legal in my area. My boy didn't handle the THC well even at the low dose in the pet CBD oil. But he is on CBD for his arthritis because he doesn't handle opiods or prescribed pain medications well.

There are a lot of considerations like what is the carrier oil, what is the source and purity, what is the dosage, and is it even safe. In my case, my boy is young and has bad arthritis that is getting worse in just one leg (from a break that healed poorly). I can't give him traditional pain medications and the CBD does help. Not just me saying it does but him actually moving better in measurable ways (being able to jump on a chair, walk more then a few steps and he physically holds his leg a certain way when it hurts). As to Rocket for anxiety (or something mental), hers is more a hunch she is better with it because she appears slightly calmer and doesn't have the huge mood swings. She also doesn't spray nearly as much when she's taking CBD.

I give both the bare minimum dosage for impact. I started them at the lowest dose and slowly (over several months) increased it until I saw results. Links I adjust based on weather and how he is moving. Rocket I do the smallest dose I can and increase it short term if she has episodes (spraying in the house, attacking the boys without provocation, being basically in a bad space where everything bothers her too much). Both get less than half what the manufacturer recommends on the label and less than what my research said was the safe zone for cats.

All this said, I know I am making a possible quality versus quantity of life decision because the research is spotty and cats don't process oils in the same way we do. So any carrier oil does carry an inherent risk for long term usage. All that said, I continue to do it because I think its my best choice.

As to hemp versus CBD, the real question is hemp CBD or Marijuana CBD. The answer being first of all which is the legal option in your area and what are you treating for. If it is legal and you are treating for anxiety, I would go with the Marijuana derived option just make sure you get it from a dispensary and it is good quality. If you go hemp derived then make sure you get one grown in an area with good agriculture guidelines and processed the same. You dont want a grown in China one because it was likely cast off from industrial production and may not be safe to digest. I go with only local grown and processed and independent lab tests provided.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand all that and I am encouraged to hear news of all the good things that CBD and/or hemp oil is reported to be able to do.

My point is very specific. We need to find out what it is about CBD/hemp that makes it work, why it works and a lot of other things but we can't do that research because the government won't allow it.

We need to get our government leaders to allow that research to be done.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Source: FDA Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products: Q&A

The 2018 Farm Bill, however, explicitly preserved FDA’s authority to regulate products containing cannabis or cannabis-derived compounds under the FD&C Act and section 351 of the Public Health Service Act (PHS Act). FDA treats products containing cannabis or cannabis-derived compounds as it does any other FDA-regulated products — meaning they’re subject to the same authorities and requirements as FDA-regulated products containing any other substance. This is true regardless of whether the cannabis or cannabis-derived compounds are classified as hemp under the 2018 Farm Bill.

Source: DEA Eases Requirements For FDA-Approved Clinical Trials On Cannabidiol

Marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance because of the presence of , marijuana’s psychoactive ingredient. Because CBD contains less than 1 percent THC and has shown some potential medicinal value, there is great interest in studying it for medical applications. Currently, CBD is a Schedule I controlled substance as defined under the CSA. Though the FDA approves drugs for medical use in the United States, the DEA regulates the handling of all controlled substances, including those being used by researchers to conduct studies.
Even though the Farm Bill has eased restrictions on CBD, the Food and Drug Administration STILL regulates the use of CBD.

Even though the Drug Enforcement Agency has introduced rules that streamline the process to get permission to study CBD, it is STILL a Schedule I controlled substance. (The highest and most tightly regulated classification.)

Yes, I know that many states have passed laws allowing CBD to be sold but, according to the Federal Government, CBD is STILL ILLEGAL.

Until CBD is reclassified by the Federal Government, good research on it will be few and far between because it is impossibly difficult to get permission to study it.

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem with CBD is that we just don’t know very much about it, how it works or even whether it works at all.

There have been some small studies and anecdotal evidence which suggest that CBD does have some good effects but there haven’t been any repeatable, controlled studies to tell us one thing or another. It is, very much, still up in the air.

We do know that CBD can interfere with some other medications but we have zero information on what the long term health effects are.

Remember that cannabis, in ALL of its forms is still illegal in the USA. Some states have legalized it for medical use but the Federal government still classifies it as illegal for ANY use. This means that it is illegal to do research on CBD for any reason.

Basically, it all comes down to this... We don’t know the truth because we will never be able do the research needed in order to find out what the truth really is until somebody changes the laws.

Then there are the Naturalistic Fallacies. People think that, because something is "natural" that it must be good. Not everything that comes from nature is good all of the time. Apples are good food for people to eat but, as you might know, apple seeds contain cyanide. Yes, the amount is very small but it's still enough to make children or small animals get sick if they eat enough of them. You can't say that, because apples are "natural" they must always be good. Everything, be it natural or not has good points and bad points. It is up to each person to know the good and bad of the foods they eat or the substances they use as medicine then make an informed decision on whether that thing is right for them.

Another problem comes when people think, "If something is good for me, it must be good for my cat, too."
Grapes are good food for people to eat but not for cats. If a cat eats grapes, they can cause kidney failure in less than 24 hours!
Ibuprofen is a good medicine for people but it's can be deadly toxic to a cat.

Personally, I am encouraged by all the good news that I hear about CBD but I am not willing to make a recommendation to anybody until I know more about whether it actually works, what problems it actually helps and whether there are any side effects.

Until we know more, I am not willing to recommend giving CBD to your cat, either.

We're not going to be able to find out much more until our government leaders get off of their collective lazy butts and change the laws to allow necessary research to be done.

I think that more people should be knocking on their government representatives doors, demanding that they sponsor legislation to allow proper medical research to be done on CBD in order to find out whether it really works.
Its legal in most states for medical and recreational use as of now - I think maybe only five still criminalize marijuana- maybe the one you live in. We live in Chicago and my wife has held a medical marijuana card for ptsd and ibd since 2018 its allowed her to get off the awful medication she was on. Gem- who was diagnosed with lymphoma- after two small doses of prednisolone had some kind of stumbling episode- and I never gave to her again. When I took her to the vet the day after her slight heart murmer that was nothing had become a number 5 and she died two weeks later of a pleural effusion- the pred. pushed that. I gave her the hemp prior to that when she wasn't on any medication and it relaxed her and seemed to make her feel better. Anything you give your pet- any treatment is a crap shoot- they all work sometimes and sometimes they don't. I wish I hadn't taken the medical advice from my vet - and not given her the pred. she might still be here and I think of that every day.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If somebody told me that apple juice cures cancer I'd say something like, "Wow! That sounds great! Let's find out more!"

The first thing I'd want to do is to find out whether apple juice is safe.
Since apple juice is food, we know it's safe but, if it was something else, I'd want to perform tests to prove its safety.
I'd want to perform some animal testing or, better yet, laboratory analysis to find out.

After I've proved that apple juice is safe, I'd perform studies by giving apple juice to a number of people then calculate the results to see how many people got better, how many people got worse and how many people stayed the same. If the results of my preliminary study showed promise, I'd go on to the next phase.

The next phase would be to perform a double-blind study where I randomly gave people either apple juice or plain sugar water and I wouldn't tell anybody which was which. I would keep this experiment going for a number of weeks or months and I would keep records on who got better and who didn't. Then, when the study was done, I'd go back and reveal which people got apple juice and which people didn't. If the number of people who got better was greater than the number who didn't, I'd say, "Hey! I think we've got something here!"

After that, I'd tell other people what I found and ask them to do the same as I did.
If those other researchers got the same results as I did, we would all say, "Apple juice can cure cancer!"

But you can't say ANYTHING, true or false, until you've gone through that whole process.

Now, substitute "CBD" for "apple juice." I want the same thing to happen with CBD as I just talked about for apple juice.

The problem is that virtually nobody has done any studies to see if CBD is good. Nobody has done more than the most basic safety testing. The plain, flat-out, truth is that we JUST DON'T KNOW VERY MUCH ABOUT CBD.

I really, really want to find out whether CBD is a cure for illness! I hear so many good things about it and I sincerely hope that it just might be the next "miracle cure."

In order to know that, we have to get people to research it and find out what the facts are.

Nobody is doing that research except for a few small groups that are doing "wildcat" experiments.

The reason why nobody is doing that research is because CBD is a cannabis-derived product and cannabis is ILLEGAL in the eyes of the United States Federal Government.

Yes, yes, yes! There are many states that have legalized cannabis and/or cannabis-derived products for medical and/or recreational use but, STILL, our bump-on-a-log, Federal Government authorities refuse to allow CBD!

There is probably a number of universities and pharmaceutical laboratories that would jump at the chance to research CBD but none of them are willing to take the risk of incurring the wrath of the Federal Government.

Universities and other places get millions of dollars in federal grants and loans in order to further their research and other programs. If the Federal Government got wind of one of these places working with a cannabis-derived substance, their federal grants would be pulled out from under them faster than you can say, "Jack Robinson!"

There is no university administrator or CEO of a pharmaceutical company that would risk losing that kind of money! It would be financial suicide!

I hear lots of great stuff about CBD. I think that there is a lot of truth to what people are saying. I want to find out more.
I want people who need medicine to cure their illnesses to have what they need to help them be healthy and I am encouraged to hear that CBD might be one of those things to cure illnesses.

We need to know whether CBD really works, how it works and what its safety constraints are.

Until our government officials get off their collective a$$es, that's not going to happen and that makes me ANGRY!

Clear enough?

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If somebody told me that apple juice cures cancer I'd say something like, "Wow! That sounds great! Let's find out more!"

The first thing I'd want to do is to find out whether apple juice is safe.
Since apple juice is food, we know it's safe but, if it was something else, I'd want to perform tests to prove its safety.
I'd want to perform some animal testing or, better yet, laboratory analysis to find out.

After I've proved that apple juice is safe, I'd perform studies by giving apple juice to a number of people then calculate the results to see how many people got better, how many people got worse and how many people stayed the same. If the results of my preliminary study showed promise, I'd go on to the next phase.

The next phase would be to perform a double-blind study where I randomly gave people either apple juice or plain sugar water and I wouldn't tell anybody which was which. I would keep this experiment going for a number of weeks or months and I would keep records on who got better and who didn't. Then, when the study was done, I'd go back and reveal which people got apple juice and which people didn't. If the number of people who got better was greater than the number who didn't, I'd say, "Hey! I think we've got something here!"

After that, I'd tell other people what I found and ask them to do the same as I did.
If those other researchers got the same results as I did, we would all say, "Apple juice can cure cancer!"

But you can't say ANYTHING, true or false, until you've gone through that whole process.

Now, substitute "CBD" for "apple juice." I want the same thing to happen with CBD as I just talked about for apple juice.

The problem is that virtually nobody has done any studies to see if CBD is good. Nobody has done more than the most basic safety testing. The plain, flat-out, truth is that we JUST DON'T KNOW VERY MUCH ABOUT CBD.

I really, really want to find out whether CBD is a cure for illness! I hear so many good things about it and I sincerely hope that it just might be the next "miracle cure."

In order to know that, we have to get people to research it and find out what the facts are.

Nobody is doing that research except for a few small groups that are doing "wildcat" experiments.

The reason why nobody is doing that research is because CBD is a cannabis-derived product and cannabis is ILLEGAL in the eyes of the United States Federal Government.

Yes, yes, yes! There are many states that have legalized cannabis and/or cannabis-derived products for medical and/or recreational use but, STILL, our bump-on-a-log, Federal Government authorities refuse to allow CBD!

There is probably a number of universities and pharmaceutical laboratories that would jump at the chance to research CBD but none of them are willing to take the risk of incurring the wrath of the Federal Government.

Universities and other places get millions of dollars in federal grants and loans in order to further their research and other programs. If the Federal Government got wind of one of these places working with a cannabis-derived substance, their federal grants would be pulled out from under them faster than you can say, "Jack Robinson!"

There is no university administrator or CEO of a pharmaceutical company that would risk losing that kind of money! It would be financial suicide!

I hear lots of great stuff about CBD. I think that there is a lot of truth to what people are saying. I want to find out more.
I want people who need medicine to cure their illnesses to have what they need to help them be healthy and I am encouraged to hear that CBD might be one of those things to cure illnesses.

We need to know whether CBD really works, how it works and what its safety constraints are.

Until our government officials get off their collective a$$es, that's not going to happen and that makes me ANGRY!

Clear enough?
[/QUOTE Definately get what you mean and agree. Its unfortunate that the government has approved so many addictive and potentially life threatening drugs for humans and our precious pets that are on the market and over used by doctors and vets for everything -like prednisolone and antibiotics. My vets seem to know nothing about nutrition and pushed SD products which also seems archaic. To add for your interest- and anyone reading- that my wife used CBD from her acupuncturist prior to being able to get a medical marijuana card- the CBD allowed her to get off the medication she had been on- which had side affects. The marijuana product that she takes is high in CBD- as most medical products are- very little or no THC which people are confused about. When applying for the card she had to be diagnosed by a medical doctor. Inflammation-stress caused by is at the root of disease - CBD inhibits inflammation and reduces stress which is why I gave it to Gem with good results. I just wish I had done it earlier on and not used the prednilosone for her disease.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CBD has been used by humans for thousand of years (its the healing part of marijuana) -now isolated for legality and zero high.
There has never been a fatality from cannabis in any form. Hemp has been grown for hundreds of years and was fed to animals to increase the nutrition of their meat.
I'm angry it took so long to get this into the hands of people legally.
The deer in my yard used to raid my young hemp and sativa plants and deer don't eat toxic plants usually.
My possums ate some today and I gave a little more than usual for the old lady 19 yr old Tortie to see if she had a hairball....
NO hairball- it came up 2 minutes later and she hasn't been eating her regular kitty grass (barley etc) The Calico eats a little also but Martin the 15 yr old boycat has never been interested. The ideal amount per serving is the tiny leaf near tape measure.Never gets vomited in that amount. Ask your vet before trying this. I'm not a vet.
ypoung
DSCN3763.JPG
The
DSCN3762.JPG

Last edited:

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone seen the U tube of Charlotte the little girl with terrible seizures from (forgot the name of brain disorder she has) similar to epilepsy.
It cured her. CBD works!
parachutes were not tested in placebo controlled double blind studies cause they just
work!
Remember....anyone can skydive but.....
skydiving TWICE requires a parachute. Pictures above taken Oct. 25 2020 11 am
This beloved Tortie just had blood work 4 days ago with a BUN of 127 - and 4 other things way out of normal range-vet said shes toast (in so many words( I think all the terrible air here (worst in the world) for weeks near Santa Rosa Ca and local vets who are SWAMPED said they would not be surprised if the toxics found their way into our pets bodies. All things toxic, including viruses, bacteria cause oxidative stress. soooooo I am using ascorbic acid in water with her amoxicillin and its turned her around fast. No more hiding, peeing fine, better apetite. 3 hrs after her first C dose she changed remarkably! I was thrilled and a little shocked to say the least.
all in 3 days time. 300-400 mg or so every 8 hrs or so. Cats make 180 mg of ascorbic acid a day and I am convinced old cats make too little to combat all the junk in their environment. Roundup is in everything , fukashima radiation on our west coats in our fish and must be in our food now. Its all oxidative stress. Ascorbic acid is same exact molecule animals make so the "natural form of C?) ascorbic acid. Liposomal form is best but very expensive. There are recipes online to make it from ascorbic acid but im too darn busy cat nursing...I get 5 lbs of ascorbic acid online for $36 free shipping.its gmo free 99.98% pure food grade bioactive.
Dr (MD) Suzanne Humphries on u tube has the best C info I've seen. She is a nephrologist with incredible skin/hair and living proof of Cs benefits in herself. Also good vitamin C vids on U tube are cardiologist Thomas Levy, Andrew Sauul PHD whos kids made it to college he claims never on antibiotics. I bet they all use CBD in some form.....orthomolecular and holistic be me.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am totally on board with using CBD, hemp and even marijuana to treat health problems.

My problem is that it's illegal when it shouldn't be. Yes, yes, yes, I know that there are many states and jurisdictions that have passed laws to allow it, some for medical use and some for personal use but the fact remains that the US Government bans it. Because of this federal ban, we are in a situation where we can't get the information we need.

I hear all sorts of stories about people using things to treat illnesses but, when you come down to it, they are all just stories.
People will point to one case or another and say, "Joe took this substance and it cured his illness" or "Jane was bedridden until she started taking that substance." We don't have real evidence. We don't have real medical facts. We don't have the information we need in order to make good, informed decisions on what to do about our own health.

Our health is our right. We have the right to make choices about our own health and it is our right to have the information we need so that we can make those choices but the government thinks that they can deny us our rights by denying us information. That is WRONG!

So, now, we are left to our own devices. We have to get our information from hearsay and anecdotal evidence. We don't have access to scientific data that can tell us how to decide on our health matters. We can't get the stuff we need from reputable sources. We have to resort to snake oil salesmen who slap fancy labels on bottles of who-knows-what and we have to trust them to believe what they say is true.

We don't know what we're getting. We don't know how it works. We don't know how to use it and we don't know who to call when we need help. It's a crime!

I want people to be able to use CBD to help keep them healthy if they need it but I am not willing to tell people that they should drink whatever concoction some charlatan puts in a bottle and slaps a pretty label on. I don't care if the label says that your CBD oil was taken from plants that were grown on a Himalayan mountain to and harvested under a full moon by vestal virgins. All of those labels are all lies, all of the time, in every case.

This all happens because our government officials make it illegal.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gosh Casper....its legal. all 50 states
I buy hemp buds thru the mail-organic Oregon grown outdoor. Comes with the test profile and even lists toxics -none found
also moisture levels as mold in this stuff is bad bad bad..
I called test lab in Sacramento ca and it costs $125 and the need about 3 grams.
oddly we cant ship in mail. I know why....they would be sent regular pot with THC and thats illegal to send in mail. Imagine being a cop now...is this hemp? yes sir ok on your way.
It looks smells and the smoke from it is identical to mary jane with THC

Indoor grow should be illegal
what a waste of elec.
A friend just drove to Brookings Or from Twain hart Ca and said wow acres and acres of hemp seen from the road.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh Casper....its legal. all 50 states
I'm sorry, sir, but, respectfully, that is factually incorrect:

In Idaho, Nebraska and South Dakota, whether it be hemp-sourced or marijuana-sourced, all forms of CBD are illegal.
Some states allow the use of CBD in one form but not the other. Some states allow CBD if the THC content is less than a certain amount. Some states allow it for medical use but not for personal use.