Hematoma

Waterlili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So looks like Juju has a hematoma. It’s small compared to the ones I’ve seen online. She doesn’t have a infection or mites. It’s not bothering her. She’s not shaking her head or itching it. I’m thinking she was rough housing with her brother. Anything I can do for her at home?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I still think Juju should be looked at by a vet, even if the hematoma is small. As I understand it, most times the vet will want to drain it to help with healing and avoid further issues, such as an infection - even if she isn't currently shaking her head or itching at it. You could always send a pic to your vet if they accept them and/or call them to ask them if they think she should be seen.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've yet to have this issue with a cat - but my big ole dumb dog (a 100-lb black lab) seemed to get them frequently on his ears. The vet didn't drain his primarily due to his age - he was 12 years at the time - and the fact that the sedation she used carried risks when used on older dogs. She put him on some pain meds and it eventually went down on its own, though it DID leave him with a janky looking ear for the rest of his life.