Helping Terra The Cat Feel Comfortable With Riggs The Dog

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Terra took a big step forward today, and came out of her hiding place to let Riggs see her. Riggs, like a good, quality log...er, I mean dog, laid on the couch and watched, not really ocaring, one way or the other. Terra, although clearly uncomfortable, stayed in his line of sight for about half a minute before running back up the stairs.

Is there anything I can do to encourage her to step outside her comfort zone, where Riggs is concerned? Riggs is an Old English Bulldog, and is so chill and with it, it would not surprise me to see him one day with a lit joint hanging out of his mouth, surrounded by ho ho wrappers. My problem is getting Terra on board with the fact that Riggs don’t care. Any ideas?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are two excellent Articles about introductions between a cat and dog that may be helpful for you:
Introducing Cats To Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

We had two different cats at two different times with our dog. The first cat did not particularly care for the dog but co-existed with him. We made sure he always had a safe place and escape route. With time and patience he was not a big fan of our dog but tolerated him.

The second cat was feisty and not phased in the least by our dog. She even drank from the dog's water bowl and slept in his crate. She could dish out whatever the dog did in a game of chase which she would initiate. :biggrin:

It's great that Riggs has such a chill temperament but I think every cat is an individual as I described above with my two cats. You can try treats, playing with Terra's favorite toys, even get a kitty tunnel for her: The 13 Best Cat Tunnels (Your Cat Will Totally Dig) 2019
But it takes time and patience and Terra will be the one to decide when she is ready. Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is this “cat tunnel” you speak of? Terra has a cat tower, but not a tunnel. Terra spends most of her time in my room, and her favorite toy was lost last year when I moved. =(

I’ve been looking for new ways to play with her. Is a cat tunnel something I can use to play with her? Will it fit in a tiny bedroom?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try extending her safe space by putting a small cat tree or sturdy table in the hall. Try getting her to play outside your bedroom door with the door open.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A tunnel in the living room would give her a place to watch Riggs and feel safe. Do you have a cat tree in the living room for her? Cats feel more secure when they can get can get up high. Jackson Galaxy talks about a "Cat superhighway" Can you set up furniture/cat tree/shelving so she can come down the stairs and make her way around without touching the floor.

I see they've lived together you a yr. If she has chosen to spend most of her time in your room then the house doesn't have her scent. Let her sleep on a towel/blanket for a few days and then place it somewhere else in the house. Do this with several towels. Also bring a towel with Riggs scent to your room it it doesn't stress her out.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this apartment really isn’t conducive to a cat superhighway. I might be able to get some cat furniture for downstairs, but I’d have to check with my roommate first.

Getting Terra’s scent on a towel is a good idea. Terra sleeps cuddled up with me most nights, but sometimes she sleeps in her cat tower. How exactly would I go about using a towel with her scent to make her feel more comfortable in the rest of the house?

Also, Terra tends to follow me around. If I’m downstairs, she’s downstate. Can I use this to help acclimate her to Riggs?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you take towels that have her scent and spread them around the house she might feel like the house smells more like her so it's a safer place. If you also give a different towel to Riggs to sleep on and then give it to Terra she might start to see his scent as something to not fear. Hopefully she'll walk around the house and you won't need the towels anymore.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, early this morning, Kitty was properly introduced to doggy. Terra was chillingly out on the stairs when Riggs came up to greet her. She tensed up, but only a little.Terra leaned forward a bit to smell Riggs, and Riggs took the opportunity to smell her. Riggs has been around other cats in the past, so he behaves himself. After they exchanged scents, Riggs went upstairs to my roommate’s room, and Terra remained collected as Riggs lumbered past her.

They may not be best buds, but Terra took a huge step today.