Helping our neighbor...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We saw a post back in the beginning of July that someone in our neighborhood lost their cat. There are actually a few missing cats around here...:(
When we see any, we always try to keep an eye out so we can help return them. Well this evening, while I was making dinner, I looked out the window, and low and behold, a kitty is walking at the back of our back yard. It looked like the picture of the "July cat", so I yelled for my husband to go get a better look. He scurried off (the cat...not my husband :) ) but he said it looked the same after double checking the post.
We contacted them and they said that they have received multiple sightings, but the darn thing always gets away. They came out and drove around but I assume they didn't get him. My husband contacted them again saying that they could come and leave a live trap in our yard if they like...and they came right over to put one out. They mentioned to us that he was a feral that they rescued and "rehabbed", so I guess that's a bit of good news....that he knows how to handle himself outside. For a cat who's been "on the run" for almost 2 months he still looked in good shape.
So wish us and our poor neighbors luck that we catch him...and not some random racoon...or worse...that we attract one of the many bears that are sniffing around for "hibernation food".

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you able to check the trap regularly to make sure you haven't got a raccoon? I was doing TNR with a friend a few years ago and she left a trap set and baited out all night (I'd told her about a million times not to do that) and she caught a raccoon. The poor thing was so desperate to escape that he pulled the plate off the floor of the trap and twisted it so badly it was unusable after that. The shelter we had rented the traps from were not happy!

If you have a trail camera it might be a good idea to leave that out as well as a trap, and set it to send alerts to your phone if anything triggers it.

Good luck. I hope the cats shows up.

:goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to check the trap regularly to make sure you haven't got a raccoon?
The trap is visible from our window, so it's easy to keep checking.

So far nothing, but the food was gone...I'm suspecting the squirrels.
We're supposed to get rain this weekend, so I'm not sure if we should keep the trap out during that time....It might be protected, depending on how heavy the rain is, if we place it next to our shed. We'll see what the owners want to do.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this bit of hope might help your neighbor,but I will tell you anyway just to keep in mind.A lady who lived in the town where I grew up was moving to Florida and on moving day her orange boy escaped.She had to go...no choice,but her son still lived there and her neighbors.This was in June.She kept in touch with everyone through a couple of different boards and there were many sightings.The community also had a couple of live traps out...and they got him last week!He was a little worse for wear,but after a trip to the vet,he is safely back with his Mama.There is hope!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our neighbor stopped by this evening to give us more food for the trap. The food we are using at the moment is prescription...so I didn't want to use it. I might open up some stinky friskies that I have on hand for treats for my kitties tomorrow, maybe that will work better.
He seemed like such a nice guy...I feel so bad. He also brought his dog with him...such a cutie pie!!!
So I put more food in the bowl, but I also turned the trap around to face a different way...the entrance now faces where kitty would be coming from if he comes back.
I guess we'll see what happens next...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you get Nam pla (Asian fish sauce)? If you dilute it 50/50 with water and sprinkle it around the trap the smell will carry much further than the smell of regular cat food does. Just don't get any on your clothes because it really does stink.

:barfgreen:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still nothing....
It's supposed to rain on and off this weekend and I'm sure this guy, considering he's been on the run for 2 months, already has a few hiding places that he frequents in bad weather, so I'm unsure if we should keep the trap out. We're going to be home all weekend...except for a grocery run at some point. So I guess I'll just put it in the shed if it starts to rain. They put a blanket in the trap (I'm assuming it smells like him) so I don't want it to get soaked.
When my neighbor came by last night to give us more food, one thing he mentioned is that his cat will sometimes show up in his own yard, but refuses to come to them. I think kitty has reverted back to being feral if he's even lost some trust in his own humans...I think he's going to be a challenge to capture, but as long as people keep seeing him, at least we know there's still hope.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It rained all day yesterday into overnight so we did not leave the trap out. This morning we put it back out and added more food.
A few hours ago, he came and walked into the trap and ate all the food but the darn trap didn't close!!!!! I'm assuming the food thief from 2 nights ago was probably him too!
So after he left, as we didn't want to startle him and wanted him to feel safe coming back again, we went out to see what was wrong with the trap. It was set up properly but it just didn't work...I think it has been "repaired" a few times...so we "re-fixed" it and tested it to make sure it worked...and it did.
Then like an hour later....he came back!!!!

WE GOT THE LITTLE BUGGER!!!!

He looked to be in good shape, although a bit dirty, and had little scraps on his nose...but I think that was from him freaking out in the trap. We coved it with a blanket and he calmed down.
The owners came right over to get him and were very thankful. The momma was trying hard to hold back tears...
She said she didn't have the reward amount on her but would come back with it...they posted a $500 reward.
But of course we refused....we can use the money, but that's just not the way to get it.

So Boots is back home with his family...a happy ending for everyone. :hugs:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad he has been caught and returned. Hopefully he will settle back in and this won't happen again. I have heard that cats often get trap savvy after being caught so it may not work again.