Helping Ng Aterra The Cat Feel More Confident In Her Now Home

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently moved within the past 48 hours, and Terra has not come down from Cat Castle even once. Her food and water remain untouched, and I’m getting worried. She had a bad experience with Riggs, the resident bulldog in her cat carrier as I was taking her up to my bedroom (feel kinda stupid for not having the presence of mind to have Riggs on a leash before bringing her in), and I need to find a way to build her confidence so she can come down from Cat Castle and eat. Should I move her food and water dishes to the very base of the tower? I’ve also been petting her and speaking soothingly to her, hoping she’ll come down, but no dice:

I keep the bedroom door shut at all times, unless I am entering or exiting the room, and I have her food and water just far enough awsy from the tower that she can look over the edge of the cat basket on top of Cat Castle and see it. I also make it a point to go up every now and then to pet her and speak soothingly to her. Later today, I will visit the Petco to see if they have any freeze drief pure meat treats for her. Eventually, I want her to feel comfortable roaming about the house, but for now, I will settle for her feeling confident enough to come down from her tower and eat. Please help me to help my little baby cat!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll need to do whatever it takes to get her to drink and eat, if it means getting wet food (even non-onion/non-garlic baby food) on your fingers that she might be enticed to lick off. Are you absolutely sure she hasn't come down while you've been gone? Anyway, she needs sustenance. No use of the litter box?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, she has to eat. Very soon. You can take a can of pate style cat food, mix it with water, draw it into a syringe (an eyedropper will do in a pinch), and feed her that way, if nothing else works. If you do that, she will get enough water with the food, as well. Just slip the tip of the syringe or dropper between her cheek and gum (so you aren't shooting it down her throat) and slowly introduce the food, allowing time for her to swallow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your help! Ultimately, since Terra is occupying the penthouse suite in Cat Castle, I gave her the purrincess treatment and hand delivered food and drink to her room in Cat Castle. She chowed down on her food, but barely touched her water...at first; I tried again a few minutes sgo, and baby Terra drank her fill.

I hope I don’t have to feed her like this for long, but I’ll continue to dobit for as long as it takes. I love my little bundle of fluff, and sm happy to do it. Knowing that she won’t starve or go thirdly lifts a huge burden off my chest. Thank you all again for your help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are a terrific cat person - thank you for working with her and loving her so much!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll bet she slips down when you aren't watching now and uses her box. She sounds far too fastidious to soil her nest. That might be the very thing that gets her out and about again.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kk, now I’m scared. Her litter is untouched, and the cat basket is not soiled. What’s up?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm, check the entire room. Granted, her system might still be catching up with what you helped her put in it so that she isn't quite ready for "output"...

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There’s nowhere she could really hide it. Terra’s poop has what I like to call a powerful smell from a powerful cat.Can cats hold it to the point of toxicity? When should I start to worry?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At this point if you haven't already and still haven't seen/smelled either biz 1 or biz 2, I'd give the vet a call.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I called the vet, and they told me to give it just a bit more time. They will call me on Fri to check in with me.

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If water becomes a real issue, you can try tuna water, it's not a long term situation, but it can help get fluid in her and get her system running.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although with cats who eat canned foods, water is nowhere nearly so critical as it is with those who eat dry. They'll get most of their water through their food.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rerra’s been earing and drinking for a few days now, my concern now is getting her to eliminate. I talked with the vet today, and they recommended a pheromone diffuser to help her feel more comfortable in her new environment.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, ai have gross, but good news. Terra has been poping, but in her cat baseket on top of Cat Castle. My mother found it after standing on my bed and looking in. I’m nearly blind and the cat tower is about as tall as I am. So apparently she can soil her nest, but at least she’s going.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have to leave Terra alone in my house for the weekend, but at least I can spend a few hours with her tomorrow. Also, my mother removed her from Cat Castle and placed her near her liter box while speaking in a soothing tone of voice. Not what I would have done, but she stayed on the ground even though she could have easily gotten back up. To be honest, all of this shit happens to my cat that I can’t control is pissing me off. I just want my kitty to be happy and healthy.

In any event, that’s where we’re at now. If one more responsibility or duty gets in the way of caring for my kitty, I’m just gona slough it off.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sweetie, all you can do is all you can do! But, MAN, your kitty has a wonderful guardian in you!

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Terra is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me, and I don’t know what I’d do if something happened to her.

Also, thank you all for your advice. This site has helped tremendously throughout all this.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Terra has been pooping, but not peeing. Any of you have any advice for this one?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Terra finally came down from Cat Castle last night, and love and cuddles were had by all. Thank you all for your help and support throughout this.