helping cat lose weight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mom 2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Breed has no bearing in this, and he is probably just a domestic short haired cat - which btw is not a reflection on him or his adorability! He looks to have gained some weight since you started this thread. So, obviously, he is eating way too much! But, before you can do anything you need to start off with measuring his food with what he is eating now and determining what his current caloric intake is. The calories of his wet and dry food that he currently eats can be found on the cans and bags of what you feed him - but, they can also be found online for more precise detail. You have to have that information as a starting point. Then, when you start to put him on a diet, his calories should only be reduced by about 10-15% per month. So, using the basic guideline of about 20-25 calories per pound of body weight, you can get a gauge of how much he is overeating. You should have a basic idea of what he should weigh from your vet, btw.

So, at 19 pounds, using the above guideline, he is probably eating at least 380 calories a day. If he should weigh closer to 15 pounds, he should be eating more closely to 300 calories per day. But, you don't start by reducing it down to 300. You go from 380 (or whatever the number of calories is actually eating now) to 20 calories less for the first week or two. He should also be weighed weekly to see if he is losing anything. Based on the results, you continue to reduce his calories. This helps for two reasons: 1.) it gets him mentally adjusted over time to eating less, and 2.) it allows his body to adjust as well.

It can take months and months - which is ideal - to get a cat to lose weight. Less dry and more canned is also best, because dry food has a tendency to have a lot of carbohydrates (vs. protein). However, you can't just quit cold turkey with a cat that is used to dry, to that has to be gradually reduced as you increase canned food, using the above guidelines. It is a balancing act, and you have to be dedicated to it. Charting food intake and what kinds of foods makes it a bit easier.

I didn't take the time (sorry) to read all of the previous posts, but at 8 yo, your cat needs a thorough vet check up as well.
what weight should i try to get him to for him to be healthy?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no one answer to that, as not all cats have the same build/structure. Some cats can/should carry more weight than others. That is why I asked if the vet has said anything about what they think an ideal weight would be for him. No knowing that answer, and given how much he weighs now, if I were you I would shoot for 15 pounds and see what he looks like then.

Be very mindful that he shouldn't really lose any more than a pound a month, a little less would be even better. So, on that note, if all went well with your diet plan he could be around 15 in 5-6 months. Again, find how how much he eats now, and only reduce the amount by no more than 20 calories a day for the first 2-3 weeks. He really should be weighed weekly so you can see if you are making any progress. After the first few weeks, you can reassess his weight, and reduce the calories some more - and continue with the pattern.