helping cat acclimate to musical instruments

Matt H

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, folks,

I'm a musician and play acoustic guitar and upright and electric bass. Scout retreats to his hiding place under my bed when I even touch them. Should I just continue as normal (playing instrument-wise) and give him time to adapt? I don't play excessively loud. He fled before I even played my acoustic guitar. The sight was enough to send him running. lol

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t have any advice, but I get it! I think my cat might have perfect pitch! She did NOT like my out of tune piano, but she likes the electric piano which obviously stays in tune. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, IF you can do it, begin by leaving the instruments out, and lying on the floor, so that he can get accustomed to them, and begin to find the sight of them less intimidating. This might take awhile. Then, starting sitting on the floor with the instruments (when he is around to observe, of course) and touching them, petting them pretty much, so he sees that they don't "attack" you. Once he is used to that, start playing slower, gentler songs on the acoustic, which is the quietest of them all. Move on from there.

How does he do with recorded music?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Matt H

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . He doesn't mind recorded music--even if it's reasonably loud. Most of the instruments are in a separate bedroom so he can get to his hiding place when I play. And he does come back out after I finish. I'm not playing Ozzy at 110 decibels when I play anyway. But I'm not a cat either. lol

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . It might not be just the sound but also the object. Slow desensitization to both is the way to start. I remember when I took up the banjo for a short time - the cats hated it! Music on radio/TV/etc was no issue. But the sound is different when it's live and in a small room - it reverberates different.