Helping an older cat gain weight?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salem’s kidneys have been failing for about a year. I’m sorry to say it but we can’t afford to treat him & I honestly thought he would have died before the 6 month mark. I’m happy he is alive. Provided he is happy and comfortable we will let him keep going until it is time to put him to sleep.

He has lost weight and we have been glad he gained some back lately. My mom also free feeds 3 other kitties dry food that do not need to gain weight! They get wet food twice a day. Any ideas? I was thinking kitten dry food maybe?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food is preferable. Try also warming the food to help him entice to eat. It really is so frustrating to feed very picky cats, especially those that we want to eat more due to their health condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He eats after the other cats eat their wet so we feed them extra to make sure he gets his meal plus some. It comes straight from the cans. Since I just visit I can’t feed him. Is there some kind of food I could recommend to supplement his diet? Maybe bribe one of my mom’s roommates to feed him a daily extra calorie boost away from the younger/ pushy cats?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything that would make him to eat more is ok, I guess.
Since he has kidney problems, coax him to eat more wet than dry.

Our other TCS members may have more inputs and provide you soon.