Helping abandoned cats Questions

poorcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
live in a retirement community and when people pass on their cats become stay and abandoned
I have a dog so I can't take them in and there are so many but I'm an animal of all kind lover. My heart breaks when I see these cats out in the cold and scratching at their fleas. It's driving me crazy.
How can our town let this happen anyway is there anyway I could help or do? All suggestions welcome. Winter is here. What happens to these cats out in the cold. I know nothing about cats but I want to help these poor creatures. I have many questions like how do they keep warm out in the cold in the dead of winter? Stuff like that. Is there anyway to have out town help these cats like provide shelters for them anything would help any ideas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you contacted local animal rescue centers/shelter, vets offices, and the SPCA to see if they could put you in touch with some resources? Next Door Neighbor, FB, etc. are also avenues to search for assistance.

The other thing that comes to mind is creating a campaign to address to older folks their need to recognize making preparations for their cats if/when they die. There are members on this site who have made such arrangements - perhaps they can advise you on if such programs/campaigns already exist?

kutenaicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Here is a pretty affordable diy for an insulated shelter. Probably doesn't work for cat's who feel threatened because there is no "escape" but depending on where you put themand what your neighborhood is like, they might be used by some of the cats. There are many other links too. One thing I would say about Styrofoam coolers is they won't stay put in a breeze with no kitty inside.
Cat House
DIY: Warm Winter Cat Houses – Pet Project

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

poorcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Have you contacted local animal rescue centers/shelter, vets offices, and the SPCA to see if they could put you in touch with some resources? Next Door Neighbor, FB, etc. are also avenues to search for assistance.

The other thing that comes to mind is creating a campaign to address to older folks their need to recognize making preparations for their cats if/when they die. There are members on this site who have made such arrangements - perhaps they can advise you on if such programs/campaigns already exist?
No I haven't done any of these things as of yet. I only searched outdoor shelters for cats and how to build them. I am determined to help these little guts though. I'm a retired construction guy so I could probably make a pretty good out door shelter. The only problem would be electricity for heat. I'll have to run a line out to the shelter I guess. But I am going to get in touch with the trustees office and ask if it would be possible to start a program to have the cats registered and see if they have any idea to implement some kind of a program to make arrangements for the cats should the people die, It's a start I think

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poorcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only thing is you would want straw not blankets or a rug in this. Blankets and rugs get wet and stick to the cat and they can freeze to death. Straw is much better option for an outside cat.
thank you

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people will respond. There is always the chance they are not fixed and need to be trapped and set loose or a lost cat that has a microchip. If you think the cat is friendly, not scared, get on nextdoor if you live in the us

Last edited:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
live in a retirement community and when people pass on their cats become stay and abandoned
I have a dog so I can't take them in and there are so many but I'm an animal of all kind lover. My heart breaks when I see these cats out in the cold and scratching at their fleas. It's driving me crazy.
How can our town let this happen anyway is there anyway I could help or do? All suggestions welcome. Winter is here. What happens to these cats out in the cold. I know nothing about cats but I want to help these poor creatures. I have many questions like how do they keep warm out in the cold in the dead of winter? Stuff like that. Is there anyway to have out town help these cats like provide shelters for them anything would help any ideas.
Thank you for caring ! I'm a recent caretaker to a colony of 14. There is a microwaveable disc called "Snuggle Safe" that you can put inside a shelter. I wasn't able to find a styrofoam cooler (ironic, since I live in Florida), so I bought some sheets of styrofoam from Lowes and lined a plastic storage tote with them. I cut two doors in the storage tote and foam (cats need to know they have an escape route) and am adding a roof made from part of a wooden fence to help keep the tote stable in the wind. I put it on part of a pallet, so that in a heavy rain (again, I'm in Florida) it will be up off the ground.I also cut "windows" in the foam so that the cats can see out of the clear tote. But having been in construction, I'm sure you'll have an even better, more weather-proof design.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for so much caring for these cats. I can understand how upsetting this must be to see these poor creatures outside in the cold, especially when they have had homes before with people who undoubtedly loved them.

There have been some great ideas already posted. I am thinking that if these cats were pets at one time, they are not (yet) wild or feral and might not be able to take care of themselves as well. I'll bet that the management folks (trustees?) at your retirement place are not happy to have cats roaming around so I think they will welcome your idea of registering the cats and making arrangements for worst-case scenarios. And I'll bet you will have cooperation from people who live there as I'm sure that they want the best for their pets and can see the advantage of making plans for their future.

For cats currently outside, hopefully local SPCAs or no-kill shelters and rescue groups can get involved. You can search for these groups on the internet and ask your vet for ideas. Even local pet stores sometimes have names of rescue groups. Luckily, it is not "kitten season" when you would be competing for homes for little kittens so perhaps there are new homes or foster situations available for these abandoned cats!

Please keep up the good work and let us know how it goes.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poorcats poorcats Welcome to TCS!! You have great ideas & your local animal control will probably be thrilled to have you involved. Facebook is a good opportunity to create a page specific for the cats in your locale. There are usually "lost/found" pet groups that you can join and post your concerns. Please keep us updated on what you've tried and the progress that you've made.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be able to find some good information about gaining community support through Bestcriends.org I was involved in trying to establish help for cats here and they had a represeantati e come and speak to local politicians to explain the advantages of caring for cats like that. It could be a great community project for seniors in the area who enjoy being involved with animals. The Feral program here has built substantial shelters for the cats and located them on the grounds of a church property. The cats get a safe home, proper vet care and lots of humans to love them. The locals have become very devoted to the kitties and many have been adopted into families. These days some senior citizens homes allow pets to help raise moral of the residents. Maybe some part of this could be helpful there. I dealt with a large group of cats too. You’re doing a wonderful thing in being concerned and wanting to help these kitties. Life for a cat outside can be short and difficult. You’ll be saving lives by providing assistance. It does take some figuring out but many will be here to try to help. I made it through even though I was at a loss as how to begin. There will be options that turn up. Don’t give up. If you hit a bump of any kind, please post back. We’ll be here. :clap2:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can create shelters with straw inside that would be much better than being out in the cold
the styrofoam sheets help too, I will try and get my pictures together to show step by step
you are very brave to take this on! I hope you get all the support you need!
The cats do need to be neutered, this is where the rescues can help you, It might be
too cold where you live to do this right now but the rescues can let you know, It's called TNR-Trap Neuter Release.
during cold cats need Food, I hope where you are they will let you feed them.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to be a Debbie Downer but as a feral cat activist for a looooong time, I'd proceed with caution as far as going public. I used to "do the right thing" and approach officials etc. (this was before social media) but found that it could actually make my life more complicated than just doing what I could myself or with the help of only trusted people. All you need is one rabidly anti-cat person to hear about the colony and that could mean trouble for the cats. I was the coordinator of a coalition of feral cat groups in Florida who organized when the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission announced it's feral cat policy. It was astounding the time and energy a few anti-cat people put in to derailing any TNR effort, or support thereof. I'd recommend feeling people out in a very roundabout way first and not making public where exactly the cats are except to people you trust. But that's just my experience and admittedly I'm burned out and jaded.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I was thinking that too, some people are so against cats, but what we do makes things better not worst!
Hey poorcats poorcats what do you think about your community are they cool!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tnrmakessense tnrmakessense I do agree that giving the public the location of a feral colony is not a good idea. Some people will target the area. Getting legal support can help though. Going online to groups like Bestfriends.org can give you the legal information needed to understand if the laws in your area will help to back you up. In my area TNR was illegal when I started out. Can you believe that? Ridiculous. Cats were already targets too. In my case getting the laws changed had to be a first step. It was a long process and I often felt frustrated and exhausted. Don’t give up though. You might have one cat hater on board but I found one cat lover too. Persistence paid off. TNR is now legal here and there are funds to provide spays, neuters and shots for anyone bringing in a cat! Although the location should be protected to keep the cats safe and prevent cats from being dumped there, the general public does not approve of cruelty, neglect or of tax dollars being spent to fund euthanasia or the need for animal control costs. Tax money is actually saved on shelter and animal control costs if colonies are not allowed to breed and expand. Educating the public was the key to getting change here. Public support of the feral colonies on the islands near me now provides regular vet care and shelters for the cats. I certainly understand becoming jaded by running into uncaring humans but then there are people like you who do care. There is strength in numbers and our numbers are growing. Places like TCS help us to band together and provide each other with support and the information needed to keep hope alive. With each person we help, we gain another member in the ranks of advocates. :grouphug::redheartpump:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I was thinking that too, some people are so against cats, but what we do makes things better not worst!
Hey poorcats poorcats what do you think about your community are they cool!
tnrmakessense tnrmakessense I do agree that giving the public the location of a feral colony is not a good idea. Some people will target the area. Getting legal support can help though. Going online to groups like Bestfriends.org can give you the legal information needed to understand if the laws in your area will help to back you up. In my area TNR was illegal when I started out. Can you believe that? Ridiculous. Cats were already targets too. In my case getting the laws changed had to be a first step. It was a long process and I often felt frustrated and exhausted. Don’t give up though. You might have one cat hater on board but I found one cat lover too. Persistence paid off. TNR is now legal here and there are funds to provide spays, neuters and shots for anyone bringing in a cat! Although the location should be protected to keep the cats safe and prevent cats from being dumped there, the general public does not approve of cruelty, neglect or of tax dollars being spent to fund euthanasia or the need for animal control costs. Tax money is actually saved on shelter and animal control costs if colonies are not allowed to breed and expand. Educating the public was the key to getting change here. Public support of the feral colonies on the islands near me now provides regular vet care and shelters for the cats. I certainly understand becoming jaded by running into uncaring humans but then there are people like you who do care. There is strength in numbers and our numbers are growing. Places like TCS help us to band together and provide each other with support and the information needed to keep hope alive. With each person we help, we gain another member in the ranks of advocates. :grouphug::redheartpump:
What you have achieved is beyond amazing. I'm an even bigger admirer now. And you're right, one of the most powerful tools is knowing the law in your area. I'm sure you mentioned it but Municode is free, has almost every state and local law, and allows you to search for "cat" or "feral" etc.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you have achieved is beyond amazing. I'm an even bigger admirer now. And you're right, one of the most powerful tools is knowing the law in your area. I'm sure you mentioned it but Municode is free, has almost every state and local law, and allows you to search for "cat" or "feral" etc.
Wow! Thank you!
Also than you for this!
I did not reference it. Municiode is a good reference to put out for people to resource. Any tips that anyone can give others here can save another life. You just helped others! See how we join hands here on TCS? I think nearly every member here could say they have had moral support, been given information, tips, help, friendship, love and/or a smile when they needed one. The more we help each other, the better our world becomes and the better for kitties everywhere. We just have to keep hanging in there when it gets hard and reach out for those here who are willing to pass on what they know and what they have received. :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::salam::salam::salam::salam::salam::salam::salam::wavey::grouphug:

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Building Winter Shelters for Community Cats - Alley Cat Advocates | Trap-Neuter-Release and Volunteer Services for Greater Louisville, KY

DIY cheap cat shelters. Just get a tote inside a tote and cut holes in them, and fill them with straw. Try to elevate the shelters off the ground if you can, like on a wood pallet or something. Provide clean water and food multiple times a day.
Totes are inexpensive and so is straw. I've made multiple shelters like this outside my house and the stray cats are using them. Please try and help them if you can, usually multiple cats can use 1 shelter if they get along.

Or you could crack your garage and get up these shelters inside there. Or call the local animal welfare league near you and they should some get them. NO blankets or towels. They absolutely make the cats colder.