Helping a foster feel comfortable

Beacon80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About twelve days ago, I got a text from my local foster group asking if I could foster a cat. It turned out this poor guy was found in the attic of a puppy mill, ran by abusive owners (there was also a mother and two kittens, who went to a different foster). We don't know specifically how the cats were treated, but he was definitely underfed. He is, by my best guess, somewhere between 1 and 2 years old. He didn't have a name, so I'm calling him Cashew (I already have a cat named Pistachio). In a bit of a rush, I got most of the junk off my floor, got him his own litter box, and bought a Felliway diffuser.

We brought him to my room, where he quickly bunkered down underneath my bed. After about a day or two, he started sneaking out to drink water, and eat the food and treats I left for him, but other than that, he's under the bed, as far away from the only entrance as he can be.

A few days ago, Pistachio got into my room (he wasn't very happy about not being allowed in there). Neither cat hissed at each other. Pistachio eat some of Cashew's food and drank a bit of water, which I'm guessing is a dominance move. He then headed under the bed, moving very cautiously towards Cashew. Cashew swatted at him once, and Pistachio's given him his space. I have noticed Pistachio occasionally now camps out under the bed, which he didn't use to do, but has kept a respectful distance.

The woman who dropped him off with me says that while he was timid, he would accept pets through the bars of the crate.

He has not been neutered yet.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make him more at ease, and willing to come out. I want him to be happy, plus he needs to go the vet before he can be put up for adoption.

Attachments

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful cat There is lots of experience on this site to help you I’m sure they will be along soon You are doing a great job helping him just by making him safe Now he just needs time to realize it Pls keep updates coming

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

That is certainly a heartbreaking story and it is so fortunate that you have this cat now. Poor soul looks so tired and probably shocked to find that life is more than an attic. While Cashew might surprise you, this could certainly take time for him to decide that he wants to interact. He may not feel well either depending on what and if he got to eat as you have mentioned.. Neutering always helps, but that will be done. Can Cashew have his own space or do the cats need to share the room? If he could be given his own little space, it might help to make him feel more secure at first. It does not sound as if you had a negative experience when the cats came face to face, but I would continue to observe.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

You are evidently experience with cats since you foster. My cats have never taken to Feliway but some cats love it. Some people use Rescue Remedy. There is also a lot of cat music on YouTube and if you have Prime there is David Teie's music for cats which is included. I am not assuming that he is feral as I think that there might be more of a story here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beacon80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There wasn't much of the way of updates until this morning, which was super eventful. Cashew had left his hiding place some time while I was asleep. It took me most of the morning before I figured out he'd hidden under my TV stand (his color is pretty good camouflage for my carpet and walls). He's accepting pets, although he's not a big fan of them yet. I think I gave him a little too much attention, because he moved to under the coffee table in the corner while I was making lunch. Still, this is a huge step forward. It makes interacting with him a lot easier. Possibly more importantly, it makes it a lot easier to just be near him and not interact with him. I doubt he'll be asking for attention any time soon, but this is major progress.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a huge step for Cashew. He is comfortable enough to begin to investigate your house and is warming up to you. Please keep us posted as to his progress.

Beacon80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Things are going slowly, but they are progressing. I will occasionally wedge myself in the corner near Cashew's hiding spot. He's not happy to see me, but he tolerates my presence, and will even sniff at my hand if I offer it.

He's definitely getting more comfortable in the apartment. While he still spends most of his time in the coffee table, he explores a bit more frequently. I used to never see or hear him if I didn't go looking for him, but now he's willing to come out to get water, even though it's relatively near where I'm usually sitting, and I often hear him crunching away at his kibble (and I have to fight the urge to stand up and look at him every time I do). I even caught him just out and about last night, although he bolted the moment I did.

He talks occasionally. He has an interesting voice. Higher pitched than Pistachio's, and he tends to trill a bit. I'm not sure why he does it. My understanding that most vocalization was to communicate with humans, but I'm fairly certain he's not asking for my attention.

I doubt he's ever going to be a snuggle bug like Pistachio is. I think his previous owners hurt him too much for that, but I'm hopeful that I'll reach the point where he doesn't feel like he has to hide all the time.

Attachments

Beacon80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, when putting up that last post, I ended up looking at the original picture, and I feel much better about my performance as a foster for him. We're still working on his social issues, but it's plain to see that he's gotten much healthier under my care, so if nothing else, I've given him that.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He looks very good. You are taking excellent care of him all around. Trilling can signify affection and while he has remained very shy, it does not mean that he does not feel safe and happy with you.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If Pistachio is still coming in the room and being respectful, use that. Sit on the floor, talk to both of them, and play/love Pistachio in Cashews sight. If he's had little human interaction he might accept Pistachio before trusting you.

Beacon80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update. Things are going pretty well. Cashew hangs out in the open a lot more often now, often completely relaxed, as seen in this picture. He doesn't want pets, and I doubt he ever will, but he doesn't flee for cover if I take a step towards him. He occasionally roughhouses with Pistachio in the morning. All in all, he seems pretty happy these days, and I want to thank everyone here for your advice and support. ♥

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting this update. Things are definitely moving along with him. I have cats who are not keen on being petted either but they have all found their own life and way of existing with us.