Helping a cat with separation anxiety

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

My wife and I have a very anxious blind 7-year-old cat. During the pandemic, we spent a lot of time at home and she got used to us being around. Now we go out more, and even when just one of us leaves, the cat hears the door close and gets anxious. She tends to grab a small teddy bear in her mouth - like a comfort blanket - and meow a lot. She calms down after a while. Any suggestions on how we might make her less anxious would be gratefully welcome. Thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, bless you for loving her.....I have always found leaving a used, not clean, T shirt or other soft clothing item out near her that has your scent on it helps. If only one person leaves, make sure the remaining person talks to her, pets her and soothes her. There are calming treats available too, they might just take the edge off.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have two cats, right? Does she not get along with the other cat? I would think that having a cat buddy around would make the humans' departure easier to handle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They tolerate each other - the young one wants to play with the blind one, but she is very wary of him. any time she perceives he is close she will hiss. They've been living together, with us for 18 months, and there has been little progress on them becoming true buddies!