HELP

Minnie345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I noticed my kitten had been scooting and then a couple days later noticed there were tapeworms in her stool. We talked to our vet and they gave us 4 pills for 4 days. (She has taken 3) But she has had very soft stool with mucus like stuff on it and what looks like blood as well. I haven’t seen any more worms in the stool but I am wondering if this is normal???
here is a picture any help is appreciated!
13F2CE39-85A1-4C7F-9A5B-6B4465F2142E.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea is one possible side effect of de-worming medications.
Imagine a whole bunch of worms being dying off at once. They have to go somewhere, don't they? ;)

If the diarrhea starts within 24 hours of taking the medication then it is safe to assume that it is a side effect of the pills.

If it doesn't stop within a short time after the last pill is given, call a vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the loose stools, mucus, and blood were present before treatment began, make sure your cat's stool is tested for other parasites if that wasn't done already. There are some parasites, which can be confused with tapeworms, that could cause those symptoms.

Most of the time tapeworms are the result of a cat ingesting fleas, so if your kitten is not on a flea treatment already, you may want to start giving her one.