Help

Dreamerstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think my cat is very close to giving birth. The thing is, I didn’t even know this cat was actually a female until today. I checked everything out and she is definitely pregnant. She came running into my bedroom tonight and tried to nest in my suitcase but I tried to move her because I had clothing in there and she swiped at me and ran under the bed. She had dried milk on her nipples earlier and just now she came in meowing and panting with her tongue hanging out. I don’t even have a place for her to nest because I only found out today. It’s the middle of the night, I don’t know how to deliver kittens, and I am kind of panicking.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s okay. Do you have a cardboard box somewhere or can you just put an old sheet or towel in the corner of a closet? She just need a place she feels secure and may want to be close to you. Panting is a sign she may be close along with finding she has milk. I’m sure others will be along to help too. I’ll see if I can find something to give you an idea of what to expect but keep posting as you have questions or concerns.
catsknowme catsknowme Furballsmom Furballsmom Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Are you online right now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dreamerstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s after midnight here and I’m scared to go to bed in case something happens but I need to sleep. I knew a lot in the article, I’m just terrified of complications happening in my sleep and my cat or the kittens not being able to make it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling. If mommcat seems okay then you need rest. If possible, check on her during the night a bit and there is a good chance she will wake you if she needs you. Nature has a very good way of handling things. Put water, food and a litter box near her. Hopefully she has chosen her birthing location by now. If not, you may want to keep her in the room with you as long as she has a safe place to deliver.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dreamer posted a picture of their "male" cat so I drew a face on its pregnant belly and made this:

Untitled.png

If that hadn't worked I would have put in a little more effort made a movie poster with glowing-eyed kittens with white bowl-cut hair that said:

THE PINKENING
Coming soon to a suitcase near you... kittens!

I wouldn't worry too much about delivering the babies. Mother cats generally know best. Show cats are another whole deal and sometimes just drop the kittens where they fall and ignore them. A Domestic Shorthair is much more likely to know exactly what to do and be an amazing mother.

Oh, and she's not really huge because there are probably only 3-4 babies in there.

I admit I am slightly concerned because she was panting yesterday and if she was in labour all that time that might be a problem.

Last edited:

Dreamerstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dreamer posted a picture of their "male" cat so I drew a face on its pregnant belly and made this:

View attachment 342099
If that hadn't worked I would have put in a little more effort made a movie poster with glowing-eyed kittens with white bowl-cut hair that said:

THE PINKENING
Coming soon to a suitcase near you... kittens!

I wouldn't worry too much about delivering the babies. Mother cats generally know best. Show cats are another whole deal and sometimes just drop the kittens where they fall and ignore them. A Domestic Shorthair is much more likely to know exactly what to do and be an amazing mother.

Oh, and she's not really huge because there are probably only 3-4 babies in there.

I admit I am slightly concerned because she was panting yesterday and if she was in labour all that time that might be a problem.
That’s actually hilarious because she’s nesting in that very suitcase lol

Dreamerstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As for the panting she’s still doing it but doesn’t seem to be in any type of labor

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope everything goes well for Mama cat, she maybe just in a slow labor, keep a close eye on her for any signs of distress.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was between laundry basket and suitcase and under the bed, and while under the bed is the best imagery and probably the most common place to nest to boot, unfortunately I couldn't find a way to make the phrase sound good with under the bed so I was going with with suitcase just because it's shorter.

I really hope she hasn't been in labour for days. Is she any skinnier? Does she disappear for hours at a time? Sometimes they drop their babies and you won't even know.

Dreamerstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was between laundry basket and suitcase and under the bed, and while under the bed is the best imagery and probably the most common place to nest to boot, unfortunately I couldn't find a way to make the phrase sound good with under the bed so I was going with with suitcase just because it's shorter.

I really hope she hasn't been in labour for days. Is she any skinnier? Does she disappear for hours at a time? Sometimes they drop their babies and you won't even know.
Happy family

Attachments

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How beautiful 🥰 Hope it all went well, how many did she have, three? They do look so so sweet!

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she had three!
:cool::dancingblackcat::cool:

Yup, I'm good lol.

I agree with Sarthur though. That really little one is... really little. It is a risk for failure to thrive, aka fading.

However I have seen really little ones be just... really little. I had a friend who had a litter of 4 and called me to the scene because one was especially tiny and all it did was scream. I squished on it, and it was plump, put it on a nipple, and it went at it like a little demon (while muffledly still screaming). So okay, I say I can't find anything wrong. My friend is on a budget and tells me he can only go to the vet if I think it'll die otherwise, so I say no, I don't think it will.

A little more than a week later and the little cat screams even more. It is half the size of the other ones, but it has noticeably grown since last time. It is a little bit behind on its milestones but not much. I squished on it, still plump. But literally every 2-3 seconds, "MIIIIIIII!!!!!!" Its voice practically shakes the house. I said I didn't think if it was unhealthy it could scream that loud.

I don't know why it was small, and it grew up small, into a little bantam cat, and it still always cried. That was the one he chose to keep. One thing I noted that was odd about it as an adult was that it was a very eaty cat. It would first cry for the food from your plate, then if it didn't get any, it would just hop up on the table and make off with it.