Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not quite sure how this site works yet as I am new but, my elderly(18yrs) cat I drooling a lot and won't eat at all. She won't drink either. I did let her out to get some fresh air a few days ago. I'm scared she may have rabies but could it be something else? She is really old. Her movements are very shaky and uncoordinated as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ThatKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention, I will be taking her into the vet tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't do it any sooner.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you look in her mouth? Sometimes things can get caught between teeth. She could have a bad tooth as well or just have hurt her mouth eating something outside. If she won’t drink or eat, shaky is expected but it could be any number of things bothering her. Eating some plants can have this effect. I’m glad she is going to the vet and perhaps that will clear things up for her. Unless she has been exposed to other animals and either gotten their saliva or been wounded by them then she should not have rabies. Bats are the most common carrier in most places. If she was vaccinated for rabies then I would think it something else. She may be dehydrated if she is drooling and not drinking. Sometimes slightly warm water is easier to tolerate. If she becomes too lethargic during the night, I would consider trying an emergency vet. She may need hydration.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you are describing points to either a mouth problem or possibly nausea/upset stomach. Both have many different causes so I'm glad your going to the vet.
Has she eaten anything yet? Is she still drooling a lot?

Do you feed dry or wet food? If you feed dry, try perhaps to give her some watered down mushed up wet food, slightly warmed. If it's a mouth problem it might be easier for her to eat. Some plain chicken or turkey baby food seems to be a hit with kitties as well, be sure there are no garlic or onions in it.

When was the last time she used her litter box (both pee and poop)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ThatKat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can not help, other than sympathy. But please keep us updated and post what the vet tells you.

Maybe other TCS members will have more to cont tribute.
Thank you for reaching out to me with sympathy. I just got back from the vet. I can't remember the exact words they said but her kidneys were rapidly failing. They were too worn out to revive, so we had to put her to sleep. I wish I could respond with a much happier ending though. I hope I don't sound to cold, but I'm just not in an amazing mood...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I could respond with a much happier ending though. I hope I don't sound to cold, but I'm just not in an amazing mood..
We completely understand what you're going through and, no, you don't sound too cold at all. :hugs: Our sincere condolences and deepest regrets go out to you. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.