Help

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got 3 of my cats fixed (2 female 1 male). The male is my miracle baby that wouldn't nurse as a kitten but started out of no where a few weeks later. One of the females is doing fine and acts normal but the other female ( who i had for a little over 2 years) is acting strange. I've never had a cat do what she is doing. She is drooling out the mouth, not excessively but you can see it. Her left eye is half way closed most of the day until night time, there's also alot of discharge. She has a lump where her incision is ( so does my other female) and i notice that she has blister on one of her nipples. Her kittens were born in October and still try to nurse but i stop them. I dont have the money right now to take her to the vet til Wednesday. I hate seeing my baby in pain..

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that you need to wait to afford the vet but since she was just spayed, the vet should respond. I would.get in touch with them and explain. A lump is not unheard of but it can also indicate a build up of a bit of fluid or even a little infection. She might just need a simple round of antibiotics. She could also be sore. I would put her where she can rest and not be stressed by the kittens until you know what’s going on. The kittens may be causing irritation. It’s hard to watch them constantly. If you can let her rest in a bathroom or bedroom without the others it might help until you call the vet. The vet may be able to just prescribe something or clear up any concerns you have. I don’t know if you are in the U.S. but there are some vets who can get antibiotics for you at no charge.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird is right; you should call your vet even though you're short of money right now. It sounds to me like your cat is in serious trouble and needs help, sooner rather than later. There's a good chance that you've already paid for follow-up care, and if not your vet may be willing to work with you on payment. Vets don't like losing their patients any more than any other doctor does.

Also, you may find this article helpful: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – Cat Articles.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird is right; you should call your vet even though you're short of money right now. It sounds to me like your cat is in serious trouble and needs help, sooner rather than later. There's a good chance that you've already paid for follow-up care, and if not your vet may be willing to work with you on payment. Vets don't like losing their patients any more than any other doctor does.

Also, you may find this article helpful: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – Cat Articles.

Margret
This is the first time i got a female cat spayed. And i have no idea if i paid for a follow up care or not. I got them fixed at a low-cost clinic and they didn't explain anything to me. Just gave me a piece of paper with instructions; Like keep them in a room for 5-7 days, no activity, and keep them from licking the incision and away from other animals. That clinic is only open on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I will try and get in contact with a vet in the morning and see what they can do. I really appreciate you guys helping me. I didnt know if it was normal after these things or not. Thank you

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets and clinics will provide follow up any time a cat needs attention. Most places will have someone there to answer calls. Clinics usually use local vets for lo cost Spay clinics. The vet name may be on your paperwork. If it is you should be able to locate them at their regular practice and call them there if the clinic does not answer. Lo cost or vet office, you paid for the Spay and the vet should respond. Make sure you tell them the exact same symptoms you listed here. If anything else comes up, include that. For instance, is she eating, drinking, urinating, pooping, do her ears feel especially warm, is her belly warm, is her incision red or showing any odor or wet area, is she sleeping more than usual or not sleeping, pacing, in any way acting different than she was before? Tell them about the lump, drooling, eye staying closed and blister like place on her belly. Write a list to be sure you tell them everything that worries you. Do let us know how things are going. :heartshape: You’re doing great!

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I used one of those clinics. The paper probably has the number of an emergency clinic on it if they do not do the aftercare themselves. Willow was spayed right before Christmas so they made sure I knew who was doing the clinic this year and it was one of the better veterinary practices in my area.

From what you have written, I believe that this is a valid emergency and that you have every right to take her in to be checked out. My clinic may not be able to offer a routine post-surgical checkup but they do care about the animals in their care and would never let a cat die just because of money.

Spay and neuter is a very routine and safe surgery, but no matter how small the chance of complications is, there is still a chance. You have already paid for the aftercare or else everybody pays a small portion of the aftercare that only a few cats will actually need.

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most vets and clinics will provide follow up any time a cat needs attention. Most places will have someone there to answer calls. Clinics usually use local vets for lo cost Spay clinics. The vet name may be on your paperwork. If it is you should be able to locate them at their regular practice and call them there if the clinic does not answer. Lo cost or vet office, you paid for the Spay and the vet should respond. Make sure you tell them the exact same symptoms you listed here. If anything else comes up, include that. For instance, is she eating, drinking, urinating, pooping, do her ears feel especially warm, is her belly warm, is her incision red or showing any odor or wet area, is she sleeping more than usual or not sleeping, pacing, in any way acting different than she was before? Tell them about the lump, drooling, eye staying closed and blister like place on her belly. Write a list to be sure you tell them everything that worries you. Do let us know how things are going. :heartshape: You’re doing great!
Took her to the vet this morning turns out she got a strand of the herpes virus from the clinic. She can shed this virus and my other cats can get it too. There is a possible with this that she can lose her eyes if it gets to bad. They gave her a vaccine but it wont get rid of it. The reason as to why she was drooling was due to an ulcer on tongue.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took her to the vet this morning turns out she got a strand of the herpes virus from the clinic. She can shed this virus and my other cats can get it too. There is a possible with this that she can lose her eyes if it gets to bad. They gave her a vaccine but it wont get rid of it. The reason as to why she was drooling was due to an ulcer on tongue.
Did they give you a medicated eye cream for her eye? My kittens needed erythromycin eye cream for conjunctivitis. Feline herpes is common but the vet should be offering anything they can to help your cat get better since she picked up the virus at their office. Poor thing. Also get Lysine powder from Amazon for inexpensive and mix in all of their food to help boost their immune system during the herpes breakout. This seemed to help my kittens a lot. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. Your kitty will get better, but it may take a little while. Mine are finally not sneezing and their eyes are no longer goopy and it’s been a few months.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure herpes works the same in cats as it does in humans. The virus is never totally wiped out; all humans who've ever had chicken pox, for instance (and I'm in that category) still have the virus inside. It retreats along the nerves, and mostly doesn't bother us, except that in some of us it comes out occasionally as a cold sore, and sometimes we'll have a severe outbreak of shingles (very painful, and takes as long as a year to finally run its course). Many of us who are over 65 have had the shingles vaccination. It still doesn't result in the virus being wiped out; what it does is to increase the likelihood that if the virus "attempts" to cause an outbreak of shingles our bodies will be able to fight against it more effectively.

Since this virus was acquired from the vet's office they darn well should be providing free treatment and drugs - it's their responsibility. If the virus can be driven into retreat, your cat should still have a long and mostly healthy life. She'll always be vulnerable to relapses, but there's no reason to assume that she'll have any, just as most humans who've had chicken pox never get cold sores or shingles.

I recommend asking the vet what you can do to protect your other cats. I also strongly recommend frequent hand washing for you, not just to protect the other cats but also to protect yourself - I'm not sure whether this version of herpes can jump across the species barrier, but it would be unwise to assume that it can't.

Margret

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm pretty sure herpes works the same in cats as it does in humans. The virus is never totally wiped out; all humans who've ever had chicken pox, for instance (and I'm in that category) still have the virus inside. It retreats along the nerves, and mostly doesn't bother us, except that in some of us it comes out occasionally as a cold sore, and sometimes we'll have a severe outbreak of shingles (very painful, and takes as long as a year to finally run its course). Many of us who are over 65 have had the shingles vaccination. It still doesn't result in the virus being wiped out; what it does is to increase the likelihood that if the virus "attempts" to cause an outbreak of shingles our bodies will be able to fight against it more effectively.

Since this virus was acquired from the vet's office they darn well should be providing free treatment and drugs - it's their responsibility. If the virus can be driven into retreat, your cat should still have a long and mostly healthy life. She'll always be vulnerable to relapses, but there's no reason to assume that she'll have any, just as most humans who've had chicken pox never get cold sores or shingles.

I recommend asking the vet what you can do to protect your other cats. I also strongly recommend frequent hand washing for you, not just to protect the other cats but also to protect yourself - I'm not sure whether this version of herpes can jump across the species barrier, but it would be unwise to assume that it can't.

Margret
I called the clinic and they say that may cat could've gotten sick anywhere. I told him my cat has been inside since being spayed. And none of my other cats are sick. He told me that yes the cats at the clinic are in close enough but not in the same cage so it's impossible for her to get sick there. I am not a happy fur momma.

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they give you a medicated eye cream for her eye? My kittens needed erythromycin eye cream for conjunctivitis. Feline herpes is common but the vet should be offering anything they can to help your cat get better since she picked up the virus at their office. Poor thing. Also get Lysine powder from Amazon for inexpensive and mix in all of their food to help boost their immune system during the herpes breakout. This seemed to help my kittens a lot. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. Your kitty will get better, but it may take a little while. Mine are finally not sneezing and their eyes are no longer goopy and it’s been a few months.
Her eye is fine now it wasnt red and there was no discharge since yesterday. But thank you for the advice😊

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Margret
No, it can’t be transmitted to humans. It’s feline herpes. Both my kittens had it. It’s very common for kittens/cats that come from rescues or shelters, or in this situation, his cat was around other animals that were exposed.

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it can’t be transmitted to humans. It’s feline herpes. Both my kittens had it. It’s very common for kittens/cats that come from rescues or shelters, or in this situation, his cat was around other animals that were exposed.
Ive found my female in a tree when she was kitten then she had kittens had ive kept 3 of her kittens. This is the first time I've had to deal with this. So of course im a worried for her and the health of my other cats

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive found my female in a tree when she was kitten then she had kittens had ive kept 3 of her kittens. This is the first time I've had to deal with this. So of course im a worried for her and the health of my other cats
I meant that when you brought her to vet she was exposed and got sick bc she was around other cats that had it. I never dealt with feline herpes with my last cat. Just my current two kittens. My vet wouldn’t give me meds the first time I brought them in bc they were so young. I watched them get worse until I finally told them they needed meds to get better. Then I got the antibiotics and they were almost 100% a few days later, but they sneezed and had goopy eyes on and off until very recently. It was a combo of new food, probiotics and lysine powder (plus initial meds) that helped them get better. Good luck!! She will get better! They have to get rid of herpes on their own, unfortunately. 😊

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant that when you brought her to vet she was exposed and got sick bc she was around other cats that had it. I never dealt with feline herpes with my last cat. Just my current two kittens. My vet wouldn’t give me meds the first time I brought them in bc they were so young. I watched them get worse until I finally told them they needed meds to get better. Then I got the antibiotics and they were almost 100% a few days later, but they sneezed and had goopy eyes on and off until very recently. It was a combo of new food, probiotics and lysine powder (plus initial meds) that helped them get better. Good luck!! She will get better! They have to get rid of herpes on their own, unfortunately. 😊
Huh? Antibiotics shouldn't help a viral infection; if they did, there must have been a secondary infection as well.

Margret

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Herpes can be dormant in a cat and you don’t realize it’s present until the cats immune system is down enough for the symptoms to show up. If a cat is vaccinated, the chances of catching the virus are minimal. So make sure your other kitties are vaccinated and practice good hygiene. Keep litter boxes, bedding, water and food dishes clean. Wash up between kitties snuggles. Antibiotics are only helpful for , as mentioned by Margret Margret , secondary infections. They relieve symptoms and can certainly make the kitty more comfortable. Unfortunately, a great many kitties carry the virus these days. Shelters of any kind can expose a cat. It can be latent in one cat but be picked up by another that will show symptoms. A shelter, vet or even pet owner may not know a cat is a carrier. Herpes can appear to be a common cold unless testing is done. It’s not always an easy thing to pinpoint what virus is attacking. I don’t think your vet can totally know your kitty did not catch it there but also, the chances that she carried it from before the Spay are very possible. Being spayed was a strain on her immune system and could have caused it to become apparent. Having the others vaccinated should protect them. I’m sorry she is sick. Just keep her happy, well fed , comfortable and watch for symptoms of her feeling bad. She may get symptoms again but it’s also possible she’ll be symptom free. Please do keep us updated. I’m very glad you got her checked.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Huh? Antibiotics shouldn't help a viral infection; if they did, there must have been a secondary infection as well.

Margret
My kittens had a URI which is very common and usually goes hand and hand with Feline Herpes. It’s basically a common cold in which kittens are very susceptible to getting bc of low immune system. Yes, both kittens needed a round of Clavamox and Erythromycin eye cream bc they also got conjunctivitis with their URI. Lysine powder is also highly recommended for young kittens bc it’s an amino acid that can be mixed with their food to help boost immune system to fight the herpes virus. I have also since changed their food to make sure they have egg and probiotics daily and that also has helped immensely. Thank you for your questions! Most of my info is also received from people on this site and my vet.