Help

SerenaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've taken my cat to the vet twice {$400 later} and 2 weeks later they don't know what
is wrong with my male cat. Ruled out all the obvious issues, no Feline leukemia, no tumors or cancer, etc. He is about 11 (rescued from a vets office)and has become lethargic and lost a lot of weight. We have been giving him pills to help increase his appetite, but he hasn't really responded. He has peed in the house a few times now, too.....what can I do? What can I have him checked for? Any ideas or suggestions will be VERY appreciated!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, they DID do a complete blood panel on him, did they not? I can't imagine that they didn't. I really don't have any suggestions at this point, however, I have noticed that once you get one response in a thread, others seem to follow, and I am so hoping that will prove true here. Meantime, I'll try to think of someone I can ask about this. You are NOT alone, and you are being heard.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have then checked him for a Urinary Tract Infection?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your Vet has ruled out diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and a urinary tract infection, I would be looking at Pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an elusive disease in cats and often underdiagnosed because the symptoms are often vague. I can tell you from experience that lethargy, decreased appetite and weight loss are "red flags".

Your vet can run a SNAP fPL (blood) test there in the office, but it is often unreliable unless the Pancreatitis is really, bad. A much better test is the Spec fPL which must be sent out to Texas A&M University and takes a couple days to get back.

Cats with pancreatitis are usually in pain and they will sometimes urinate inappropriately.

Pancreatitis does not appear in a vacuum. It is usually associated with an underlying chronic issue, often IBD, sometimes diabetes, liver disease.

Since your cat has a decreased appetite, and appetite stimulants have not been effective, I would ask your Vet about pancreatitis and also ask about getting a Ultrasound of the gastrointestinal area. I know this costs, but it is the only way you are going to get a positive diagnosis. Been there, done that!

The sooner you get a positive diagnosis, the sooner your cat can begin treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SerenaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We go back tomorrow and I will certainly ask about testing for pancreatitis! Thank you all for the suggestions and support, I'll follow up after the appt. and let you know if we've had any success. He is on dry food as well as wet, from the Science diet spectrum (we have several foods out, since we have 5 cats, all with different needs!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main people that know about your cat's condition and know what tests were done (& with those test results) are the vet, and you -- having being informed by your vet. Unfortunately, what you've provided in this thread is vague, and so none of us here really can know what "obvious issues" your $400 of tests checked for. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 asked about blood work done, others wonder about UTIs, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, pancreatitis, and I wondered what his diet has been... we are all a bit in the dark still, with no specifics. So it's hard to know how to help in the limited way we might be able to, as the symptoms you describe could be from so many things! Your vet should hopefully have specific knowledge of his diet if you've provided that, his litter box habits, the symptoms he's having, his blood panel results, urinalysis, etc. We don't know if xrays or other diagnostics were done, so I'm not sure how appropriate it might be to just list a bunch of possibilities! It really depends on the testing you and your vet would like to pursue

I wish we could help more, but it is good news that you will be revisiting the vet!
Sending good wishes! :vibes: :vibes: