Help!

lauraann864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like ever since I got my cat neutered all he ever does is want to attack me... it's always at random times like when I'm getting up for work or leaving. There are no signs before he does it he just pounces and bites as hard as he can. Today he got me really good on the leg. I usually spray him with a spray bottle but today it just made it worst

Attachments

karrotlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1) That one looks like a scratch rather than a bite. Keep his claws trimmed- often. I trim my spunky 1 year old cat's claws every single week, and this way even if he gets overexcited during playtime and swipes at me, there is no...carnage. Ditto with the times he scratches the carpet or furniture - no damage. If he is not used to having his claws trimmed, it is well worth it to research how to train him to tolerate it.

2) Make sure you play with him as often as you can, at the very least 15 minutes a day, if you aren't already. Pouncing and biting is play aggression, and I've read in places that neutered cats are more playful??

3) Does he have toys he likes to play with on his own when you can't play with him?

4) Try hissing at him when he attacks you. Sounds odd but it always at least gets my cat's attention, if not let him know he is being bad.

Hope the situation improves!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauraann864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! Yes this one was a scratch not a bite. He was a rescue cat so he has a little bit of separation anxiety. I work 9-6 and my boyfriend usually works 2-1am so there is some parts of the day where he is alone for hours.. is there anything I can do for him during those hours? Would you suggest getting him a friend maybe?

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another cat would be a good idea. I've heard to adopt 2 kittens at a time so they have a playmate. An auto feeder or those machines that let you play w/ them & give them treats should help.

1. catnip
2. Feliway
3. musicforcats.com
4. Thunder Shirt
5. calming treats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauraann864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! He's about 2 years old now so would you suggest a male or female and should they be close to his age? He's weird he doesn't like catnip and we do have feliaway plug ins around the apartment.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you go get another cat, please be sure that this is something you want as well and that you have the money and time to care for another one. A lot of people think they should get another cat simply for their current cat but, while I do agree with getting two at one time, doing so later on in the cat's life is entirely different and normally unnecessary. You're cat may benefit from the company of another cat, but a lot of people find that there's a level of tolerance rather than any friendship. Know your cat and if he might take to a second cat. You're going to need the time to go through proper introductions and be prepared for the possibility of them not being friends.

If this is all fine by you then you'll want a (probably) female cat of around the same age. It might the introductions more stressful with two adult cats, but that way they'll have similar energy levels. You'll want to spend plenty of time with this cat before buying to make sure they're personality will compliment his.

There are other options to keep your cat entertained. They make treat puzzles and dispensers as well as electronic toys. You can even make your own dispensers by cutting holes in plastic bottles. If going this route, I would recommend using his food and cutting back on meals to ensure his calorie intake doesn't increase.

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat didn't care for catnip either but now he likes it.

Valerian (Valeriana Officinalis)

I read that cats also like this herb too.

karrotlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! My cat has ZERO reaction to catnip...Tried many brands and types of catnip things. But he goes berserk for valerian. Only thing is it is only good every couple weeks or so, more often and it doesn't work on him. There are some great valerian-stuffed toys on Etsy and at some pet supply shops.

You just have to experiment with lots of different types of toys to figure out what really gets your cat going... about 4 hours of alone time at home does not sound excessive. Interactive play is most important for burning off energy and giving him an appropriate outlet for aggression, IMO... like Da Bird wand toys. My cat likes all varities of the Da Bird-Go Cat toys and will play all by himself day and night with a few specific ones he loves (the furry one and "da wild thing" feather one). Also ping pong balls, he will play soccer with that chasing it all over the house. But every cat is different so you just have to experiment. Let us know how things progress!