Help

Margo Harned

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens last night. This is her third litter. I didn't have her for the first 2 litters. But, I know she was a good mom.
Last night she had 3 kittens but, the first was under developed and dead at birth. The other two seem to be ok but, one has turned in front paws.
She is extremely stressed out. After the birth I fell asleep only to be awoken by her because is thunder storming out. She has always been afraid of the rain. She wont lay down with the kittens, meows at me a lot, and growls at what seems to be nothing.
I make her lay down with them and the seek a tits but, it doesn't look like either of them have been successful on feeding. I have the nest in my closet where its warm, dark, and quiet but, she wont stay with them unless I'm sitting next to her, petting her. I need advise on what I should do

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has the storm passed now?

How long have you had her? She is experienced with kittens, so she is clearly upset over something.

If you close her in the room with her kittens, will she settle down?

The kitten's front legs can be corrected. We will address this issue after things calm down.

If the kittens are not nursing, you'll need to syringe feed them with kitten formula every 2 hours until they are stronger and mom has settled.

How much do the kittens weigh?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her and the babies to the vet for a complete check out considering one was born dead and one seems to have a deformity, and she has't settled in to nurse them. Of course it's Sunday so the ony vets that are open are those in Petsmart -- but they are open all day and you could probably get to see one. If the kittens don't seem to be nursing, you could supplement them with some goats milk (available in the dairy section of most supermarkets), using an eye dropper, just a little bit to keep their blood sugar up, while hoping they do latch on soon and that she calms down. It might help if you sat in the dark closet with her for awhile and stroked her and calmed her if possible. A vet exam will at least determine if all the kittens she had have been born. The growling can indicate fear but it also can indicate pain. Good luck with her, and let us know how everything is going.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the very least, keep the babies hydrated. She does need a vet as she is clearly uncomfortable about something. I would camp next to her and stroke her ears so that the tinies have a chance to get her colostrum which is produced in the first 12-14 hours; colostrum helps the kittens' intestinal flora to establish, thus strengthening their immune systems. Please keep us updated! Prayers that all is going well! :vibes::vibes::vibes:8

Jessica Meade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is momma now? Did things calm after the storm? Did you weigh them? Its really important if the kittens can get milk from mom to get it at all times but the 24-48 hours is the most important i have fostered many kittens and the ones who have the best chance is the ones who were with mom even of just the first day or so!
If they are not eating from mom you nees to feed them every 2 hours as stated above and also help them use the bathroom as they cant do it alone just yet.if this is moms 3rd litter and she isnt taking care of them her and kittens should be seen by a vet.
Good luck this is a pretty amazing time!!!