Help!

Jessica_Smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a 14 year old male cat that's fixed me and my husband rescued after his father in law passed, well he bites at my 3 month old daughters forehead when she cries..... he's a great cat.... anyone know why he does it?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a few things. He might be upset by the cry and reacting like that. He could also be trying to calm/groom her as some cats lightly bite (often called love bites) as a sign of affection.
More information on that here: How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

Personally, I think your best bet at 3 months old is to keep him away from her unless supervised, no mater how good he is. My eldest cat (9yrs) loves to hang out with our 9 month old son, and is careful to stay out of reach, but for everyone's safety its never without my husband or I present. (And at 3 months, all but one of my cats were still bigger than my son! :lol::eek2:)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't take any chance. A "3 months old baby is fragile and even if the cat acts with good intentions he could playfully cause serious damage to his eyes. Even if the baby was older the risk remains.

My cat Cucumella is very gentle and non aggressive. But if I cough loudly when I have a cold she will run up to me and jump up to my chest if I'm sitting down. Then she tries to throw a paw into my face and lick my cheeks. I know she wouldn't want to hurt me but I'm not taking any chances that by accident I could get her paw in one eye. So I prevent her from getting anywhere near my head.

Last edited: