HELP!!!

anant shastri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found an abandoned kitten (about 2 weeks old) just outside my house in a broken, unhealthy and close to dead state. I took it in with the intention of adoption. But only a few hours later, a big cat turned up at my doorstep and when i tried to give the kitten back to it, it held it brutally when it tried to run away and so I had to chase it away to 'rescue' the kitten.
Its been two days and the kitten has finally started to adjust here and its healthy and fine and happy, but almost everyday that big cat along with another cat spend time outside my door.

It seems that one is the mother and the other is a male who follows the mother around everywhere only to get the kitten. The 'male' keeps biting and scratching the 'mother' and the mother does not react but only stares at the door of the house.

The kitten seems to be attracted to them but I am very unsure about whether to give the kitten to them or keep it as I dont want them to kill it.

What do I do? and if I keep the kitten, how do I stop those two cats coming to my door? Please help 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Most people who know a lot about these things aren't online right now, but I'd like to say please keep the kitten! 

There are things you could do about the other cats - it would be wonderful if you could get them neutered - but firstly we need to know whether you have a vet to take your little kitten to. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anant shastri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, i have been taking it to the vet regularly and the kitten gets his first vaccination in two weeks (-the vet)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mama cats always mourn the loss of their kittens when they leave, she will leave on her own in a few days. And I don't know what you mean by 'rough', carrying a kitten by the parent always seems 'brutal' to me, if the male wanted to harm the baby I think he would have bit it right then. Mama may be in heat again, if he's grabbing her by the back of the neck that may be the reason. Do you know how to care for such a young kitten? They have to be stimulated on their rear ends to go to the bathroom, have to be kept warm, have to lay on their stomachs to eat properly, etc, all kinds of things. Good luck and find out answers to any questions  you may have by posting here and at different forums. God bless you for caring for this baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anant shastri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the male cat appeared only recently but the other cat has been there for a while now. The male does not allow the female to move around unattended often biting and scratching it all over. Also no, I do not know much about cats and how to take care of them but then I do have a lot of people here who are willing to help, including the vet :)

the kitten is healthy, recovered/recovering from the trauma and running and jumping around a lot now as compared to the day we found it. 

but I would really like to know if I should hand the kitten back to those cats or keep it with me?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Mani and Di and Bob.

If adopting the kitten is feasible for you, please do so.  It is anyway the best fate imaginable for this kitten.  And if you adopt it as very young, you wont have any problems with fostering from feral...   Just take care of this little kitten, the rest will follow automatically.

It is interesting to notice the mom is trying to get the kitten back even after several days...  So it DOES happens now and then...

She probably happened to drop it while transporting the other kittens to a new nest...  

I agree with the analysis the roughness looks worse than it is.

If a male want s to kill a kitten, he does it.  Either by shaking by the neck (takes a couple of seconds) or by quick and decisive biting. 

But anyway, proceed to adopt, it is best so.

IF you want to be helpsome, please help the parents to get neutered them too.  This will be a great help to them.

Tx for caring!

ps  If the kitten is running around and jumping a lot, it is surely older than 2 weeks, more probably about 5 weeks.

A good age to be taken from a semi-ferale mom to be fostered and adopted.  

Good luck!

Last edited:

smouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vancouver Canada and The Dominican Republic
I agree with StefanZ and Di and Bob.

The kitten was likely dropped in transportation (probably to a place where this tom couldn't get at her litter), she's is likely in heat, again, and although instinctively protective of her poor kittens, this male cat is a suitor and ... he will kill that kitten. There are not many breeds or circumstances where a male bonds with his own young (which, of course, who the father(s) are is anyone's guess). That said, the primary threat a female must protect her young from, are male cats. A controlled, environment where the parents are also household pets, there are exceptions ... but even then kittens should always be supervised around even the most loving male. But, as sad as life seems to be for these this poor mother (and the male who's making her his business) ... in the very leas,t you could save this little guy from a similar future (although - and this is serious - if you release him to them, he probably won't see another day). 

If you can possibly keep this little guy, or foster him until you might find a loving home, you'd be giving him the best chance. But, he does need to be seen by a vet asap. He'll need to be dewormed, vaccinated and as soon a he's old enough, tested for FeLV/FIV.

I don't know where you are or what your financial situation is, but there are some shelters and organizations that can help with these things. There are also some organizations that will help you foster him and place him once a suitable home is found (this is only if you're not in a position to keep him).

But, sometimes really amazing things happen and it just might be that he found his way into your life for a reason; a gift. And, I can guarantee that he will love you for life and make yours richer, if you do choose to make the commitment. And, since he's not feral (as also mentioned) raising him will be that much easier. You'll have a bond for life with that little guy. 

In a perfect world, it would be great if something could be done for the others. But, you should be commended for doing what you can. If there are services in your area that deal with strays, the best thing you can do is notify them. I don't, personally, believe in kill shelters ... so If there is a 'no kill' that is inclined to come out and trap them it would be ideal. But, if not, the alternative is the mother continuing to have litters with little chance of survival ... and her  own future would not be much brighter, infection or any number of other sad endings could also be in store for her.

The others are also correct that these adult cats will back off sooner than later ... in the mean time, protect and love that little miracle. Anyone who makes a stand and does something - anything in a world of people who simply choose to look the other way is a hero and you should be proud of yourself.

If you need to ask any questions about kittens, lots of people can help. And, I'm here as well, anytime.

All the best,

Lauren.

smouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vancouver Canada and The Dominican Republic
... just one more thing, if you're comfortable stating your location, I'm sure there are others (including myself) who would be happy to help look into what's available to you for help with the kitten and also maybe trying to get some help for the mother and male.