HELP! WORMS

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I just found worms in my kittens feces! Does anybody know what kind of worms these look like?? She was a stray that we took in because of an eye infection. I am very very worried because it is going to be difficult to take her back to the vet since she just had an expensive eye removal surgery that was already hard to pay for😭😭😭 We also have 2 dogs and another cat and I am so worried that it has spread to them or will and it’s going to be even more expensive to treat them as well.😭😭😭 i noticed that she was scooting but I didn’t think anything of it and saw moving white things
070751C5-7ABA-4224-B681-56632EAA1440.jpeg
while I cleaning the litter box. I feel so so bad. Please help.
WARNING GROSS ⚠⚠⚠

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I dont have an answer to your question. But have you tried applying for care credit? Or asking your vet if you can pay in installments. If your other cat has shared a box then both should be dewormed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I dont have an answer to your question. But have you tried applying for care credit? Or asking your vet if you can pay in installments. If your other cat has shared a box then both should be dewormed.
We have applied for carecredit but got denied:( and they have seperate litter boxes on opposite ends of the house!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have applied for carecredit but got denied:( and they have separate litter boxes on opposite ends of the house!
I had to apply a few times. I had to put in the application that the procedure was higher than it was. And I put that ii was making slightly more. I needed the card for my cats surgery so I was desperate.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to apply a few times. I had to put in the application that the procedure was higher than it was. And I put that ii was making slightly more. I needed the card for my cats surgery so I was desperate.
Okay thankyou!! I will definitely try again!

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, don't panic. These look like tapeworm segments to me. Cats and kittens get tapeworm and roundworm. Both are very easy and cheap to treat. You don't need a vets prescription as the worm pills can be bought over the counter or online. I use Drontal for my cats (I'm in the UK).

I've looked up Chewy.com for you as you can get from them if you live in America. Unfortunately, we don't have Chewy in the UK (yet).

DRONTAL Tablets for Cats & Kittens, 2-16 lbs, 1 Tablet - Chewy.com

Hope this helps.

One thing to point out, if a cat has or has had fleas, then it is virtually guaranteed they will have tapeworm. You need to deworm your cat then a month later, repeat. If your cat gets outside, then it is wise to both deflea and deworm your cat monthly but don't do it together. Give the flea treatment then leave a gap of a week then do the worm treatment.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The Chewy page I am seeing says that it is a prescription. Allivet advertises that they sell it without a prescription if you buy the 50 count bottle at about $5.50 per tablet. Other sites like Walmart and Amazon advertise the same price without a prescription.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Chewy page I am seeing says that it is a prescription. Allivet advertises that they sell it without a prescription if you buy the 50 count bottle at about $5.50 per tablet. Other sites like Walmart and Amazon advertise the same price without a prescription.
I never noticed Chewy saying prescription. We can also get Drontal from Pets at Home - I think the American equivalent is Pet Smart over the counter. I get mine from a UK online shop called petshop.co.uk. Their prices are really good but recently they've changed couriers and the delivery cost has gone up.

Even online it pays to shop around for the best deals.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chewy does require a prescription to buy Drontal:

Untitled.jpg

Amazon sells a 50 tablet bottle for $229 :eek3: There is no smaller quantity available. No prescription is required and the product is shipped and sold by Amazon but you have to question the legitimacy of the product.

C Charity355 see if there are any low cost vet clinics in your area. The fees are much lower than a typical vet hospital. Your loal SPCA or Humane Society may have affordable vet care resources on their web site. I'd avoid places that advertise a free first visit. All the vet will do is do a basic listen of the heart and lungs, look at the eyes and mouth, palpate the abdomen. Deworming medicine will cost extra and likely at full price.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may take a few doses of the dewormer pill to full remove all of the worms so you'll need a few more pills. Adult worms may be killed by one pill but young worms and unhatched worms aren't affected. Talk to the vet about how often to give the pill and how long it should take to fully remove all of the worms.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so they gave enough for 4 days and said that they will work after just one of the pills. I mentioned she had an enucleation but her other eye is healing (she was a stray and had eye ulcers) they said to bring her back when it heals for a check up.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that has been taken care of. Keep an eye on the poop to make sure 1 pill kills all the tape worms.