HELP wont stay out of my plants

hjwclc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another question,
Boo Boo has taken a liking to my plants, what to I do to keep him out of them. He likes mostly to play in the dirt and eat some of the leaves... have any suggestions on how to keep him from playing in my plants?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the best and easiest advice is to do what I did, get rid of any live plants and I hang my fake ones from the ceiling. OR you can try the bitter spray as a detourant. They tend not to like the taste. There are several on the market and I have found most to work. Then if that doesnt work and you feel you can't live without plants, try to buy new ones that wont hurt your cat. Maybe a bed of catnip just for him. Most vets have a refrence that tells you what plants are toxic to animals. Hope this helps!!

pooks mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by hjwclc
Another question,
Boo Boo has taken a liking to my plants, what to I do to keep him out of them. He likes mostly to play in the dirt and eat some of the leaves... have any suggestions on how to keep him from playing in my plants?
My 7-year old cat, Pook, who generally ignores our plants unexpectedly took an interest in a new fern and started routinely dumping soil out of the pot onto the carpeting. Several attempts to correct the behavior failed miserably. What suceeded was covering the top of the pot with saran wrap. An unplanned for bonus for the plant has been increased humidity and less rapid water loss. Pook has not been able to figure out how to remove the saran wrap and the problem has gone away. You did not say though what kind of plant it was. The eating of leaves is a separate concern. Certain plants can be toxic to pets and should be either kept out of reach or just not be in the house. See http://animal.discovery.com/cat_guide/plants.html for a list of plants to avoid. There is also a list of cat-safe plants. Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hjwclc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the help, I will give all of those ideas, close consideration. The wrap sounds like a good suggestion.
Heather

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just remember to provide him with a source of good plant munch! Our Gezer loves to chew grass. If we don't provide a pot of fresh grass, he'll be eating our house plants in no time.

We either get the ready made kitty grass kits or make a little window sill garden from wheat.