Help With Tiny Newborn

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the forum, i found a tiny newborn kitten yesterday crawling across the sidewalk, i couldn't find her siblings nearby and I waited a while but mom didn't come back, so I brought him home.
Any advice anyone can give me would be very appreciated, my husband has experience raising puppies, but not kittens. Especially advice about how to get her to eat and how much a few day old kitten should eat.
She seems to be pretty strong ( crawling all over me trying to suckle), but has only eaten about 5 mL of kmr since yesterday, and only managed to latch on to the oral syringe for a few seconds. Also she has peed but I can't get her too poop, maybe she just hasn't eaten enough yet?

I can't afford to pay for a million tests at the vet ( i know, I'm looking for someone to take her who can) so for now the only option for veterinary care is a shelter with a kitten nursery i found, but they told me she would be better off with me if I can get her to eat.
I made sure she's warm enough and all of that, i really need help getting her to eat more.
Any advice would be really appreciated

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try rubbing some slightly diluted honey on her gums to help tide her over.
Try a different size nipple, there's a miracle nipple talked about in this linked post;

1 Week Old Bottle Baby Not Eating Help*

There's a little bit in here for you that might help
Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

For future reference
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

The other articles linked in this one could be helpful
Are You An Expert On Newborn Kitten Rescue?

This has a couple recipes to help supplement
Kitten-Rescue.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the article suggestions!
I also have two more questions to add.
Does anyone have tips to get her to poop. Ive been rubbing her with a warm damp paper towel.
When she climbs on me and suckles, does that mean she's hungry, or is that something they just do all the time?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never raised kittens, but from all I read in this forum, after you feed her, with a damp, warm wash cloth rub gently her bottom. That will stimulate her to "pee & poop". if you ever had watched the "kitten lady" on You-Tube you can see how it is done. Our "kitten experts" will assist you with all your questions when they see you.:)
Oh, and most importantly, she is darling. As you can see by my avatar, I am partial to black cats/tuxedos myself.;)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dont worry about the vet, its no vet business at this moment. Unless you do have access to a vet or vet assistant whom is pro on helping small kittens, and who can show you the ropes and sell you suitable gears... Most vets dont.

If she manages just a little at a time, give her little but often. Say every hour. The labels on for example PetAgs is waaay too seldom.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS and thank you for rescuing that little tuxie! Since she isn't eating much, poop won't be building up plus her gut flora is still establishing itself and since poop is up to 50% dead biotics, the amount is less. It is important to develop the right gut flora - I recently saved a preemie (my first one that lived past 8 weeks) and I believe the Benebac Plus made the difference. I put her on goat milk formula using the recipe from www.kitten-rescue.com and added vitamins from the vet. She had trouble with gas until I got her the mini-Miracle Nipple (I burped her frequently and added infant simethicone drops to her bottle). :cheerleader::heartshape:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the forums. Which KMR are you using? Honestly, the powdered is best. The pre-made liquid tends to give the little ones an upset tummy and/or diarrhea. My personal favorite is 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk. If you can't get raw, you can get a carton in the dairy section of your store. I always heated this in a baby bottle (the hard plastic ones) on the stove. A little water in a pan and the bottle set in this. You can also run hot water over it to heat it. Never microwave it.
You need to feed every two hours 24 hours a day. Which means through the night also.
She needs a heat source. A heating pad on low, wrapped in a towel with room to move if need be. A stuffed animal for comfort will also help.
A warm washrag will work better than a paper towel, but I'm leaving how to stimulate to the links provided above.
That's all the things I can think of immediately, but ask questions, we are here to help.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, very important thing I forgot.
Feed her with her lying on her tummy and head slightly up, as if she were nursing from mama. Never feed her in your arms on her back facing you, like a human baby would nurse.
Also, after feeding, take two fingers and lightly tap her back (between her shoulders) for a burp.

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She finally got the hang of eating out of the oral syringe yay, still only about 2mL at a time though (of course she is very small) I'm using the powdered petAg heated a tiny bit. And she has a hot water bottle in her nest that puts her right to sleep.
The only problem now is that she hasn't had a real poop, maybe a speck of goo.
When should i really start to worry if she hasn't gone?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may not poop for a couple of days. She is probably slightly dehydrated and her body needs to catch up. Do not rub her bottom too much right now. Focus on feeding every 2 hours.

Here is a helpful video about feeding tiny kittens:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Thank you for taking this baby in!

M Mollkat

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The formula should be served at 98• - 100°F. Cool formula is not digested. I use a candy thermometer and play a game of guessing the temperature while heating it and then pouring into a measuring cup and putting in the candy thermometer. To keep it warm during pottying and burping, I heat up an extra cornmeal sock to wrap the bottle in
I read that keeping the nursery at 90° has been indicated to reduce the occurrence of upper respiratory infections. So I keep the box or nest covered with a towel in addition to the heated rice-or-cornmeal socks plus a ticking clock.

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice. She's started eating more since last night, about 4 ml per feeding on average. still no poops though, i may try adding a drop of olive oil to her kmr later today but im worried about it giving her the runs

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A drop or two should not give her the runs.
A drop or two is like giving a stool softener, not a laxative.
If it were me, I would wait another 10 hours. If she's just now eating good, give it some time to go through her system. And don't expect results immediately for the same reason.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: Wonderful update!! If she gets constipated, her sides typically will be distended and hard and she will be restless, often mewing with discomfort. My vet sells Fortiflora but I like Benebac Plus & she says that is fine - those probiotics help develop a good gut flora, essential for a strong immune system.

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's doing good :) shes growing really fast and she got the hang of using the bottle.
Her eyes just started opening this morning. Is it normal for her to have some clear tears when her eyes begin to open? Its not gooey or anything.
I'll post a new photo later today