Help with teeth brushing!

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my cat Wren has been doing great, thanks to all of your help when I first used this site back in 2018!

I've continued to struggle with teeth brushing, however, because he likes his toothpaste too much and probably because it's a little uncomfortable. When I use a toothbrush or my finger, he either licks off all of the toothpaste or chomps at the brush. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

I do semi-regularly let him lick it off my finger, but I don't think that's quite enough for dental health and hygiene...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of cats bite the toothbrush when they feel it in their mouth. I think it's normal. Some cats would even bite the owner's finger if a finger is used in place of the toothbrush.
I don't think there's a solution to this.
I started brushing my cats' teeth when they were very young kittens, but it seems this didn't help them get used to it.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of toothbrush are you using? Had problems until I switched to a Curaprox 1006.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try using an ultra-soft regular human toothbrush and push the toothpaste in so they feel inclined to chomp on the bristles and get that friction action going. My vet recommended this and said additionally the nylon bristles are better if a couple are swallowed incidentally than the plastic bristles used in many pet toothbrushes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lots of cats bite the toothbrush when they feel it in their mouth. I think it's normal. Some cats would even bite the owner's finger if a finger is used in place of the toothbrush.
I don't think there's a solution to this.
I started brushing my cats' teeth when they were very young kittens, but it seems this didn't help them get used to it.
I mean, that does make me feel a little better. As long as they get that friction in their mouth!

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of toothbrush are you using? Had problems until I switched to a Curaprox 1006.
Interesting! I honestly used the toothbrush that the toothpaste (CET Poultry) came with

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try using an ultra-soft regular human toothbrush and push the toothpaste in so they feel inclined to chomp on the bristles and get that friction action going. My vet recommended this and said additionally the nylon bristles are better if a couple are swallowed incidentally than the plastic bristles used in many pet toothbrushes.
I didn't know that chomping was okay as long as there was friction! Thanks for this perspective.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn’t get my cat to let me use a atop on him. So I bought a water additive. I talked to the vet and she said it was a good one BUT I still want to do a bit more research on it (& it probably wouldn’t work with a fountain.)

96FC6302-35C0-4EC3-82B3-A5D989C69C42.jpeg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know that chomping was okay as long as there was friction! Thanks for this perspective.
Just make sure the chewing isn’t grinding that’s being triggered by pain caused when you brush. Avoid brushing the gums, and use a fairly light hand, especially while your cat is getting used to it.

I couldn’t get my cat to let me use a atop on him. So I bought a water additive. I talked to the vet and she said it was a good one BUT I still want to do a bit more research on it (& it probably wouldn’t work with a fountain.)

View attachment 398563
Cats don’t really have enough of a thirst drive for stuff like this to have any effect, if it does have any protective function in the first place. Many cats will also refuse “tainted” water. In terms of safety, I’d check it doesn’t have seaweed added. A lot of dental additives do, and the excess iodine isn’t good for cats.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, my cat Wren has been doing great, thanks to all of your help when I first used this site back in 2018!

I've continued to struggle with teeth brushing, however, because he likes his toothpaste too much and probably because it's a little uncomfortable. When I use a toothbrush or my finger, he either licks off all of the toothpaste or chomps at the brush. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

I do semi-regularly let him lick it off my finger, but I don't think that's quite enough for dental health and hygiene...
I trained Quinn when he was kitten. We use the malt flavored CET enzymatic cat toothpaste which he likes and licks off first, then I brush his teeth with a very small cat tooth brush. I have forgotten the brand- it may be petrodex. He only lets me do it briefly and I sing a song, “look at those gorgeous toothies… “ For Merlin i just let him lick it and wipe it on his gums / teeth. I haven’t gotten him used to the brush yet. One Dvm thinks toothpaste on a gauze pad rubbing the gums is better. I haven’t tried that yet. They both only like malt flavor which is also what Angie loved. She was the only other cat who let me brush her teeth and we started when she was a baby as well.