Help With Stretching After Radically Underestimating My Softball Abilities

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So in a fit of foolishness to be sociable at my new job and to win back some of my youthful (intramural) glory I joined a softball league. After not exercising for a while, not playing softball in at least 4 years and moving 5,280 ft higher than I was used to. In a word, ouch.

So I very much abused my poor underutilized muscles. Particularly the upper thigh. Does anyone have any good stretches for post-softball abuse stretching?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ouch.

I've started working out again and the first few days are seriously the worst. All I have from my recent experiences is stretch, warm baths and a muscle rub (I use an oil blend lotion).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that’s a good plan. I’ve been trying to stretch as much as possible. Hopefully next weeks game will be easier!

What I need to do is work in more exercise during the week, I do a long hike on the weekend and now I’m playing softball on Mondays but I need something to work on like a light walk or jogging in between.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To stretch your thigh (I'm assuming you mean the quads/front of the thigh), you bring your heel to your butt. If that's not enough of a stretch, then you extend your now bent leg back, so bring your knee back. You can do this standing up or lying on your stomach. If you can't reach your foot, or knee with your hand without having to contort yourself in a weird position, that may hurt you, use a towel or the belt from your bathrobe and hook it around your foot.
If you need to stretch the back of the thigh (hamstrings), lay on the floor and hook a towel around the bottom of your foot as you keep your foot (ankle) flexed (NOT pointed like a ballerina), keep your knee as straight a you can and bring your leg up (bend at the hip). You should try to have your hip bent at a 90* angle, so if you can't do that with your knee straight, keep it bent more as you bring it up and straighten it as much as you can once your leg is up. By contracting your quad muscles (straightening the knee) while you are stretching your hamstrings (leg bent at the hip) you end up with an even better stretch.
If your description of "upper thigh" is closer to the front of the hip/groin area (hip flexors) then you can stretch that one by laying on your bed, on your back. Scoot over so that your just over the edge of the bed (lengthwise) (without falling off!) and simply let the leg that is over the edge hang off the bed (you should feel the stretch in the front of your hip, possibly into the top of the quads, and even up into your lower abdomen area). If your bed is not high enough and your foot and lower leg touch the ground, bend your knee (fold your lower leg back) and grab your ankle (or use a towel to hang on). Then your leg can hang down further.

I hope I described the stretches ok. If not let me know.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jem Jem ! Basically most of my muscles hurt, lol, but you hit the nail on the head regarding the quads. The other stretches will be really good, some I’ve tried before and others are new so that’s really helpful.

If you can't reach your foot, or knee with your hand without having to contort yourself in a weird position, that may hurt you, use a towel or the belt from your bathrobe and hook it around your foot.
And this is critical! I have been needing to stretch for a long time now and so I was having those contortion problems and felt like I wasn’t able to get a good stretch without wobbling. I never thought to use a belt or something, so this really helps.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Check this out, I've had several of my clients use this and they say it helps dramatically with their stretching. And because of the loops it works for any body shape and length. And depending on which one you get, it comes with a poster and information on how to stretch.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eat an apple (malic acid is good for muscles). Soak in some epsom salts (magnesium is too). Have fun!

How long have you lived in CO? I've heard it can take a long time for flatlanders to get used to the altitude.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
flatlanders
:yeah: :spew:

I’ve only been in CO for about two months and moved from CA at sea level, so yes the struggle is real. In addition to that I’m starting to increase my activity level so it’s a perfect storm
Lol. Thanks for the suggestions!