Help with stressed cat!

pnwcatmomof2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, and we moved in with my roommate a little over a month ago, who has three cats. One of my cats has been totally fine with the whole move, and one the entire opposite. My baby boy Beezles is 4 and I am so worried about him, it physically hurts me. He is picking fights with the other male cats (Beezles even got swiped in the eye a few days ago :( ), he doesn’t purr anymore (he was the loviest cat), and he’s always so tense and distant. I am almost positive he is suffering from cat depression. I am making it my top priority to move into my own place for Beezles’ sake (also, five cats is just to much for me), but I am 19 so that will take at least a month of saving. I am starting to keep him in my room with me and his food and litter box, but the other cats stratch and scratch and scratch at my door. Beezles was originally my moms cat, and she gave him to me after she couldn’t handle him anymore, after I moved out originally, he got extremely stressed because I was his person and he acted out on her other cats. I have almost considered rehoming him, but he requires so much attention and I have been his mom since he was a little baby, it breaks my heart even thinking of him living with somebody else (especially somebody who doesn’t understand him like I do), or the chances of him ending up in a shelter from his ‘assh*le’ behavior, it’s just not an option for me. What can I do in the meantime until I can give my roommate a months heads up and save up money to keep my little guy calm and at least CONTENT (as opposed to happy)??

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes many months to introduce cats to each other and have everyone calm down, so it is not unusual at all for him to be acting like this. 5 cats is a lot to get used to. I would plan on getting another place and in the meantime keep him in your room, I think everyone would be happier. Cats are supposed to be kept separate from each other for quite a while when introductions begin, and exchanging blankets and feeding them on opposite sides of the door is needed. He is acting normal, he is scared to death. Give him lots of reassurance and good food, he will eventually come around or be happy when you move. Make sure he has contact with your other cat or he will forget him and pick fights with him too, he might now if your other cat smells of the others. Watch that eye, if it starts getting a discharge you can get antibiotic drops on sites like Pet Meds. It can turn bad quickly. You can also get calming supplements in a treat form on Amazon too, which might help. I only gave my cats a very small dose and it helped. The other cats will eventually lose interest in the door, when you leave you might try blocking it with something or getting a cat deterrent spray for it. Please don't rehome him if you can., he loves you. All the luck!

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only other suggestion I'd like to offer is sometimes alternating room access. If your flatmate agrees, then sometimes he/she could lock their cats up in their bedroom/bathroom for a couple hours and your two cats can roam freely with you.
Let them hang out with you while you cook a meal for everyone as a peacekeeping gesture (aka bribery) that gives plenty of time for your cats to play and burn a little energy with each other and you.

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortunately, it might take time, each cat is individual, and one can accept my environment within a few days, and other kitty will need a few weeks, or even month. You can try music for cats on YouTube (I like them: https://www.youtube.com/user/relaxmycat) and/or calming spray Feliway that is recommended by many vets. Hope, your fluffy friend will like his new routine soon