Help with socializing a feral

Fluffsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Sunday morning, we trapped a feral that we had been feeding since December. My husband had been able to get within 6 feet of playing with it with The Bird toy. The cat was taken in as a TNR Monday only to find out IT is a 8 month old pregnant female in her 2nd trimester! she was spayed. We have decided to make her our house cat….if possible…as she is a long haired cream chocolate point Siamese (according to the vet).
She has been in our guest bathroom since noon Tuesday with all the necessities. she has used the litter box but has not eaten since Sunday; she is drinking water. Poor baby has not made a single sound since captured!
How long can cats go without eating?? Is it normal for them not to make any sounds?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is likely scared and this is her way of reacting to the fear. Continue to leave food and water out for her, and make sure you have a cardboard box or similar type item that she can use to hide in, especially when you go into check on her food/water. Try human foods as well as cat food to try to entice her to eat, as that is crucial she starts to eat again.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference - TheCatSite
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On Sunday morning, we trapped a feral that we had been feeding since December. My husband had been able to get within 6 feet of playing with it with The Bird toy. The cat was taken in as a TNR Monday only to find out IT is a 8 month old pregnant female in her 2nd trimester! she was spayed. We have decided to make her our house cat….if possible…as she is a long haired cream chocolate point Siamese (according to the vet).
She has been in our guest bathroom since noon Tuesday with all the necessities. she has used the litter box but has not eaten since Sunday; she is drinking water. Poor baby has not made a single sound since captured!
How long can cats go without eating?? Is it normal for them not to make any sounds?
Yes, situation is quite common... Be lucky she drings and uses the litter...
Not eating may be dangerous for a fatty cat, but being ex homeless she is surely used to periods of scarce food... :(

Advices above are good... Including leaving some human food; as homeless she surely often managed on rests of human food.
She should come around, she knows you / hubby as friendly and docile people...

You can try with having calm, relaxing music on, preferably harp music...
Also, you can sit down - or even lay down, there with her, talk calmly and sweetly with her, make friendly noises... Or even read aloud.
Cats knows this language, a friendly tom would do something similiar...
To just be there, queiet and patient, is also useful.

Yawn a lot, strech on yourself... Blink slowly to her,,,, All this are friendly gestures with cats

Do NOT look into her eyes, look on her shoulder. Use a wooden spoon for stroking... Its not your hand, but feels warm and almost soft...

DO NOT set radio with human voices on, in this stage it will just stress her.

As said, I presume she will soon begin to come around, especielly as she is recoviering from her surgery, and you are helping her.

She will probably always remain shy to visitors; but I expect she will be a nice home girl with you.

PS. We will be happy for her pictures.... Either here, or in the Description Forum of What look alike I´m?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluffsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. It was all good to know. We did release her back into her own environment Thursday as she was appearing too stressed and still not eating and drinking very little water. I feel she will return as other feral cats we treated less hospitably have all become domesticated and care for us.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm late here. Have you seen her again since you let her back out? Will you bring her in and try again?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluffsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not seen Fluff since letting her go 3/30. I have posted on Nextdoor for suspected sightings but no sightings to date. I pray she went back to her colony and has recovered from spaying. The weather has turned warmer and drier so I will again start placing food for her.
I would like to win her trust once again to see how it works on her terms!