Help with Situation in Anderson, CA

felinesanctuary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome Amanda! You are just the expert I have been hoping to find here. I have a fairly unique situation that is going to be affecting a large number of managed colonies in my area, Anderson, California. I work for a Feral Cat Rescue who has been very active with TNR for more than 12 years now. We estimate the number of otherwise doomed feral cats the founder of our organization has saved to be in the thousands.

She has even turned her personal home into a sanctuary for the cats who were not able to be returned to their original place of capture, and has spent conservatively in excess of $100,000.00 building secure perimeter fencing to enclose the property and a medical treatment/quarantine room to house cats requiring Veterinary care or observation time prior to being moved into the resident population.

The Owners of Stillwater Cat Haven are both retired professionals who worked hard to save enough money to provide them with a comfortable life in their golden years. They are both very dedicated toward helping to make a difference and have focused their efforts on taking control of a very "out of control" feral cat explosion in our community, establishing 17 colonies throughout the area. All colonies are closely monitored and fed daily. Any new cats are immediately trapped and sterilized, tested for disease and vaccinated, then evaluated for possible adoption potential or return to the capture point.

Several years ago the demand of caring for so many animals forced the founders to seek help. Volunteers are constantly scouted for and pleas are posted in every pet store, local community bulletins and public adoption events. Most volunteers turn out to be undependable and employees had to be hired to take on the labor involved in caring for the facility and outlying colonies.

As all good things eventually come to an end, the founders are facing the eventual closure of their sanctuary due to their own declining health and age. The retirement money is almost gone and campaigns seeking donations haven't proven worth the effort. There are no family members willing to step up and take over the operation and cost involved in continued care for these feral cats and the only outcome foreseen is the county animal control stepping in and euthanizing the 200+ resident animals.

All resident cats are current with their vaccinations and have been sterilized. Many have become friendly and have freedom to share the living area and grounds of the sanctuary. Some are still considered "feral" and live in spacious enclosures on the property full time. Every feral (or tame) animal is cared for by staff and founders with the same devotion as you would give a family member. The eventuality of this incredible project coming to an end is no longer just a future concern, it has become reality.

The initial inspiration for this operation was a grant given to spay and neuter feral cats called "Maddies Fund". After that grant money was used up, the founders simply continued on using their private savings and have relied on advice given by Alley Cat Allies for many situations encountered along the way. The founders are registered as 501 (c) 3 non profit animal sanctuary and rescue in accordance with state and Federal laws. All employees are paid and taxed appropriately and records of every animal are kept documenting medical care given and individual history. This is not just some nutty cat person's backyard hobby it is a legitimate operation in dire need of help.

Certainly the Alley Cat Allies have run into this situation at some point and we would like to know how it can be resolved. As much as it breaks our hearts to know our work must end, we think it would be better to ask for help NOW rather than wait for the day when we can no longer buy food and the county has to take over. Do you have any thoughts or advice that might help us?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I've moved your post to a new thread so Amanda can see it and respond here. Maybe other members can chime in as well. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felinesanctuary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, though I don't anticipate there will be any response forthcoming. Over the last decade of working with feral cats and managing TNR colonies I've found it pretty much is the last resort way to handle the unwanted and forgotten cats that quietly multiply in every town until someone says "Enough!" Hoping for someone to step forward and offer to help place rehabilitated feral cats when a sanctuary is forced to close is just a last ditch fantasy of someone who has dedicated so much of their life and resources into the thankless venture. I hoped Amanda with her connection to the organization that inspired our organization, might be able to offer a solution other than mass euthanasia. Unfortunately we are only human and mortal ones at that. When resources are depleted and health declines we have no choice but to tend to ourselves.

What we need is a national list of shelters who have room to take a few cats or a list of large barns who can house a few ferals and are willing to provide at least minimal care (ie offer dry food daily) We have 200+ cats who are all healthy and have been altered, with documents for each providing complete histories. People only seem to want young kittens and then fail to follow through with spays or neutering so the cycle continues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felinesanctuary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again for your helpful link and not just turning a blind eye to our situation. I am contacting all the Calif shelters hoping we can place even 1 cat, some of these cats are wonderful animals.

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Hello!  

Wow, it sounds like your group has been doing a tremendous amount of great work for California cats!  I'm very sorry to hear that the sanctuary will be closing.  For the cats that are socialized, I would certainly recommend starting as soon as possible to try and find them new adoptive homes!  Here are some helpful hints for promoting socialized cats for adoption, many of which I'm sure  you are already utilizing.  I imagine this answer may not be quite what you were hoping for, but unfortunately there is no national database of shelters with openings or barn homes looking for barn cats; the list of cat groups in California that Anne posted above should be a really great starting place though!

Here are also some suggestions for tracking down potential barn homes, which could be a good option for the cats who aren't socialized enough to find new indoor homes.  Start by contacting any area horse rescues; they may be sympathetic because they are also in the animal rescue field!  You can do a search on Guidestar to find a list in your area.  After horse rescues, try contacting equestrian groups; they may let you post something on their webpage or Facebook page to increase visibility.

If you do get to the point where you are going to start relocating cats, make sure to follow all the proper steps!  It's important to ease cats into their new environments by confining them in a relocation pen, to make sure they have enough time to adjust to their new surroundings.  Read our step-by-step guide on best practices for relocation here.

Again, I'm sorry to hear this sanctuary is closing.  Thank you for all your - and the founders' - dedication to the cats!!!

-Amanda