Help with shy solo/single orphan foster kitten

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just picked up an adorable 8-week old foster kitten today. She was found on her own, no mama, no family, just her, poor wee thing. She's quite shy and was very timid at first, still coming around. I'm hopeful she'll start to warm up the more time I spend with her but I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how to help her overcome her shyness and timidity around people? Anything specific I can do or should avoid? Sudden noises and movement are especially scary right now!

She's set up in a kitten/puppy pen with all the stuff she needs, I'd like to eventually let her out into the room for playtime and such but I'm worried she'll just hide under the furniture.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
There's no need to rush her at this point. Let her figure out her new normal first, and you might give her some classical harp music or harp music for cats on Spotify. Additionally try a heartbeat toy or a purr toy :)

As the days go by, let her tell you how confident she's feeling. You could possibly block off the under -bed and -furniture areas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Good thinking :) I just ordered a heartbeat kitty plush for her and I'll pop some music on today. I was so proud this morning she didn't hide when my partner came into the room. a big step for sure!!

It's just a futon in the room. I had blocked off under the futon in the room I am now calling the kitten nursery for my previous litter, but they eventually figured a way to wiggle under anyway so I'm not sure I will block it off, but we'll see!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooohhhh my gosh she came up to me and sat on me today!! For a full minute!!! Oohhhh I'm so proud of her :) :hearthrob:

the snuggle buddy came too so hoping that helps her not be lonely when I'm not around.