Help With Retrieving My Cat Who Visits My House In Middle Of Night!

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our indoor outdoor cat (but always in at night) didn't come home one night - 7 weeks ago, but we discovered he comes to the front porch and driveway about once a week. We discovered this from our doorbell camera and garage camera we set up (we leave garage cracked). He has come by and sniffed his litter box and pet carrier that we put out on porch, he won't enter the garage but peeks under the door. We have a humane trap but he won't come onto the porch fully when that is there. We have seen a raccoon and an opossum come by the driveway (maybe because the garage is now cracked and garbage can is in there), but these critters haven't gone onto the porch as of yet. We saw them via the trail cameras we have set up in our yard.

I even had door cracked one night by porch when my cat came there, but he either didn't see that it was open or decided not to come in (I think it was the former). I can't leave my front door open all night for him to come in. We have sensors in the garage and porch so we know when something is there. All this happens in the middle of the night when we are sleeping. I have gotten up when the sensors go off, but my cat leaves before I can try and call him in (we see this on the camera feed). He has always been a little skittish, but always came in when we called.

We are at a loss for how to get him back inside. Should we use food and a trap? What about the critters? We don't want to attract them. We were hoping to use the garage as a house trap, closing the door once inside, but he won't come in with lights on or off. We've tried leaving back door open - he doesn't go in backyard (trail camera there) - we tried it all.

I did order a larger trap as thinking the one I borrowed from animal shelter may be too small for his comfort level. Where should I put the trap? In yard? He doesn't seem to want to come on porch when I place it there. He clearly is coming home, but can't or won't come inside. Help, we miss him! PS. He is 7 and neutered with all claws and shots, plus his collar is still on with tags and he is microchipped. Neighbors have seen him a few times but he always avoids people.

Here are two links from my doorbell camera showing his behavior.
and

barbarap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel your pain. I am in week 5 of a very similar situation only that my cat was an indoor cat and was a rescue cat originally from a colony. He got out one day when the door was not shut properly. He is afraid outside. He runs as soon as he gets out. I don't chase him because I don't want him to go further away.
I have a wildlife camera that I use to see where he is and I've seen him three or four times coming to the door and looking at it but not hanging around to get in.
He's not used to the concept that you meow when you want in and someone lets you in. During the day he hides and only comes out at dusk. I don't know where he hides during the day. It could be anywhere we have a lot of bushes and vegetation right now. I haven't seen him on the camera for 6 or so days now.
We've tried to trap him with a live trap. It doesn't seem to interest him that much, he did spend a bit of time smelling the sardines inside. I think he is enjoying himself outdoors because it's been beautiful weather and there is probably enough food for him. The feral cat rescue told me to put the trap against the wall and cover it with a blanket. Don't feed him other than in the trap. Put cloths inside the trap to make it appear less trap like. Put a few small pieces of food leading from the trap door to the back. Good Luck.
I'm finding it very frustrating for sure.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, the good news is that Milo is still alive and obviously quite well fed.

I think a humane trap is the best way to get him back in. Leave the trap outside on the porch, it will take him a while to get used to it but if it's always in the same place he will eventually stop being scared of it.

You could try covering it with a blanket or towel you have used or leaving some of your clothing inside. If it smells like home he's more likely to accept it.

It could take a while, but once he is used to seeing the trap in place you can think about trapping him. Can you see what's happening on your porch "live" from that camera? When trapping any animal you have to be prepared to go back to the trap as soon as you've caught something. You can't leave a cat in a trap too long, it's too dangerous and they panic and could hurt themselves.

You can get remote triggered traps, so you can set it up and only trigger the door when Milo goes inside, rather than risk trapping another animal.

Have you tried staying up all night on the porch to see if he'll come by? Does he have a routine? Always there at the same time of night?

:goodluck:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, do cover the trap. This does a couple of things...it doesn't look so frightening for one, and cats just love small, enclosed areas. It makes them feel safe. Slightly warmed tuna is great bait...YUMMY STINKY TUNA!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel your pain. I am in week 5 of a very similar situation only that my cat was an indoor cat and was a rescue cat originally from a colony. He got out one day when the door was not shut properly. He is afraid outside. He runs as soon as he gets out. I don't chase him because I don't want him to go further away.
I have a wildlife camera that I use to see where he is and I've seen him three or four times coming to the door and looking at it but not hanging around to get in.
He's not used to the concept that you meow when you want in and someone lets you in. During the day he hides and only comes out at dusk. I don't know where he hides during the day. It could be anywhere we have a lot of bushes and vegetation right now. I haven't seen him on the camera for 6 or so days now.
We've tried to trap him with a live trap. It doesn't seem to interest him that much, he did spend a bit of time smelling the sardines inside. I think he is enjoying himself outdoors because it's been beautiful weather and there is probably enough food for him. The feral cat rescue told me to put the trap against the wall and cover it with a blanket. Don't feed him other than in the trap. Put cloths inside the trap to make it appear less trap like. Put a few small pieces of food leading from the trap door to the back. Good Luck.

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
barbarap: Yes, it's frustrating when you know they are around, but won't come inside. We used to let our cat in and out through the back door, but he doesn't go there at all (maybe ran into a raccoon or other animal in the night). One night, we did have our front door cracked open and while he sniffed his pet carrier with the cat nip, he appeared to not notice the door to the house was open. We just can't sleep doing this on a regular basis since it's our front door. I did put the trap out in the garage covered, but he didn't come into the garage. Other cats have come into the garage (prior to putting trap there) and maybe their scent has scared my cat off from coming inside the garage. I will say the sensors have at least helped me know when my cat is on the porch. Then I can look at my NEST camera on my phone and see what he is doing, go downstairs and outside to try and call him. Even if he doesn't come, he may hear my voice. I have noticed too that he smells all the areas on the porch where I have been sitting or leaning against. I think the familiar smells helps to bring him back home. Now, if I can just get him to come in or trust the trap. Thanks for your support and good luck to you as well.

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the good news is that Milo is still alive and obviously quite well fed.

I think a humane trap is the best way to get him back in. Leave the trap outside on the porch, it will take him a while to get used to it but if it's always in the same place he will eventually stop being scared of it.

You could try covering it with a blanket or towel you have used or leaving some of your clothing inside. If it smells like home he's more likely to accept it.

It could take a while, but once he is used to seeing the trap in place you can think about trapping him. Can you see what's happening on your porch "live" from that camera? When trapping any animal you have to be prepared to go back to the trap as soon as you've caught something. You can't leave a cat in a trap too long, it's too dangerous and they panic and could hurt themselves.

You can get remote triggered traps, so you can set it up and only trigger the door when Milo goes inside, rather than risk trapping another animal.

Have you tried staying up all night on the porch to see if he'll come by? Does he have a routine? Always there at the same time of night?

:goodluck:
Yes, I can see the action live from the doorbell camera and the accessory NEST camera I set up in the garage (when I leave it cracked). But, what happens first is I'm alerted by a $25 sensor that I place on the porch first (it beeps in my bedroom when something passes it). I then wake up and check my phone for what is there. I've gone outside now twice to call for my cat who always leaves promptly when I open the door (I can see the timing on my camera feed). Do you have a brand name for the remote triggered trap? I have stayed up some nights, but honestly I can't keep it up. It's been 7 weeks! I have to function during the daytime. The problem is he only comes by maybe once a week on average (to the porch). This is one reason I bought two trail cameras - to see if he is going elsewhere on my property (which is small). So far, I've seen him on the driveway, but I've also seen a raccoon, opossum, and a skunk. He appears to feel safe on the porch. His litter box is there and pet carrier with his scent - maybe that's why. I will try putting a piece of my clothing inside the trap.

I'm a bit afraid if the trap closes accidentally without him in it, it will scare him. It's a humane trucatch trap - if bumped, the entry point can close. Won't close with normal sniffing, but if the cat rubs his chin against it, it may close. I will also cover the trap and let him get used to seeing it. Thank you for your support.

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, do cover the trap. This does a couple of things...it doesn't look so frightening for one, and cats just love small, enclosed areas. It makes them feel safe. Slightly warmed tuna is great bait...YUMMY STINKY TUNA!
Thank you - I will try this.

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See my response below. Thanks.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Tomahawk sell remote control closing devices that you can attach to a trap.

Traps :: Feral Cat Traps & Accessories :: Feral Cat Trap Accessories :: Remote Control Trap Trigger

Would one of these work on your trap? You can always use the old fashioned remote control method. 2 liter pet bottle full of water to prop open the door, long length of rope to pull that water bottle away. I've had a lot of success trapping one specific cat in a colony this way, but you'd need to be either on the porch or just inside with the door open.

You can wire the trap door open or use a small padlock to attach the door to the cage to make sure it doesn't close accidentally.

KFC works pretty well as bait too.

I wonder if someone else has taken him in and is feeding him? Maybe that's why he only comes back once a week.

Good luck, please keep us posted

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tomahawk sell remote control closing devices that you can attach to a trap.

Traps :: Feral Cat Traps & Accessories :: Feral Cat Trap Accessories :: Remote Control Trap Trigger

Would one of these work on your trap? You can always use the old fashioned remote control method. 2 liter pet bottle full of water to prop open the door, long length of rope to pull that water bottle away. I've had a lot of success trapping one specific cat in a colony this way, but you'd need to be either on the porch or just inside with the door open.

You can wire the trap door open or use a small padlock to attach the door to the cage to make sure it doesn't close accidentally.

KFC works pretty well as bait too.

I wonder if someone else has taken him in and is feeding him? Maybe that's why he only comes back once a week.

Good luck, please keep us posted
Thanks - I don't think anyone has taken him in since he still has his collar on with tags that have our phone number and he is microchipped. Plus, he is very hard to catch - has always been a little skittish.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he go into his carrier? If so, you can rig it with a rope tied to the door. I've caught a few trap-wise ferals that way.

I've always used a big dog carrier with the door off, got them used to eating in it, then put the door back on and strug a rope so the door closed when I pulled on it. You have to maintain constant pressure on the rope to prevent an escape, so it really only works when you're just on the other side of a door, but it's one option anyway.

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he go into his carrier? If so, you can rig it with a rope tied to the door. I've caught a few trap-wise ferals that way.

I've always used a big dog carrier with the door off, got them used to eating in it, then put the door back on and strug a rope so the door closed when I pulled on it. You have to maintain constant pressure on the rope to prevent an escape, so it really only works when you're just on the other side of a door, but it's one option anyway.
Thank you. Yes, I can see how that would work. My cat doesn't have a predictable pattern of visiting - every 6-7 days, sometimes two days in a row, sometimes 2 weeks pass. Always between Midnight and 4am when I need to sleep. I think the only way is to leave my front door wide open at night so it's obviously open and he can walk right in and eat at his normal station and with my alert system triggered I close the front door once he's in, or use the trap. I'm going to try the trap so I can sleep at least. May take a while for him to get used to it first. It's rather small, and I ordered the larger "fat cat" size, but there is a 6 week lead time on them, so I may see it mid-late August :(. I was hoping to use my garage as a trap, which so far has worked twice on other cats who entered (can't tell if it's mine for sure until I see cat in person from the garage camera). Anyway, I appreciate your tips and ideas.

lafogleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, but his carrier is a soft-sided one that is not easy to get into and certainly I couldn't trap him in it. We used it for bringing him on board an airplane when we moved. I did set the metal trap last night and caught another cat at 2:30am. He was cute and I wanted to adopt him :). But have to keep on trying to capture my own. We have lots of cats in the neighborhood, probably many feral/strays, because we live near a park with water and food.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there. These things almost always take FAR more time that we think that they will. And make sure that trap is covered.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We have lots of cats in the neighborhood, probably many feral/strays, because we live near a park with water and food.
Is there a feral care taker who comes to feed these cats? It's not uncommon for lost cats to go off and join a colony. Obviously your cat isn't lost, but he might be comfortable hanging out in the park with his feral buddies.

If you can talk to whoever feeds the feral cats they might know where he hangs out during the time he's not at your place. That would give you another chance to trap him.

I've heard of cats going wild for the summer, then coming home again as soon as it starts to get colder and food becomes scares. Hang in there, just be patient and wait for the opportunity to get him back inside.

:hangin: