Help With Premade Raw Food Diet For Cats

Shandyanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
80DB835C-BCF2-47BE-BBF8-CF8153512659.jpeg
My cat has kidney disease, IBD, and is prone to diabetes! He’s on a raw food diet (Rad Cat beef) and does well because it’s low in phosphorus given that it doesn’t use bone as it’s calcium source . But, it has egg yolk in it which I know is full of nutrients, but, I have read that it is one of the number one allergens for cats. I cannot find a premade raw cat food that omits egg yolk and also does not use bone as it’s calcium source. If anybody knows of one, PLEASE let me know!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are you steering away from bone?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cat is doing just fine on the Rad Cat beef, I see no reason at all to change the food. Egg can be an culprit for food sensitivities but unless you definitely know your cat is sensitive to it (IBD flare up, general food sensitivity reactions, etc), don't worry about it.

You could look into making your own raw food. EZComplete uses eggshell instead of bone but uses dried egg yolk. TC Feline's special kidney formula uses calcium carbonate and has no egg product http://tcfeline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TCfeline-SPECIAL-FORMULA-brochure_2016.pdf The egg yolks listed in the directions are completely optional.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are you steering away from bone?
I would imagine because it’s hard to digest and high in phosphorus.

I agree with LTS3 LTS3 that there’s no need to steer away from egg yolk if your cat isn’t showing signs of allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shandyanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would imagine because it’s hard to digest and high in phosphorus.

I agree with LTS3 LTS3 that there’s no need to steer away from egg yolk if your cat isn’t showing signs of allergies.
When I said that my cat was doing “well” on the current raw food diet, I should have clarified that he’s doing well compared to how he was at the time of his diagnosis. He still gets extreme bloating and discomfort and occasional diarrhea. So, he’s still having problems. So, now I’m troubleshooting. Bone is high in phosphorus, so by omitting that from his diet, his phosphorus levels have come down, so, I am not going back to bone. And, as I mentioned, I’ve done the research, and learned that egg yolk is a very common allergen for cats. So, now I’m going to omit egg yolk from his diet, while still keeping his nutrient intake complete, to see if this helps with his bloating and discomfort. So, again, if anyone knows of a raw cat food recipe or premade food that does not contain bone or egg yolk, please let me know. Meanwhile, my search continues.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
When I said that my cat was doing “well” on the current raw food diet, I should have clarified that he’s doing well compared to how he was at the time of his diagnosis. He still gets extreme bloating and discomfort and occasional diarrhea. So, he’s still having problems. So, now I’m troubleshooting. Bone is high in phosphorus, so by omitting that from his diet, his phosphorus levels have come down, so, I am not going back to bone. And, as I mentioned, I’ve done the research, and learned that egg yolk is a very common allergen for cats. So, now I’m going to omit egg yolk from his diet, while still keeping his nutrient intake complete, to see if this helps with his bloating and discomfort. So, again, if anyone knows of a raw cat food recipe or premade food that does not contain bone or egg yolk, please let me know. Meanwhile, my search continues.
It doesn’t sound like your cat is having an allergic response though. Allergic responses are immediate and typically manifest in cats in the form of skin disorders. I think it’s great that you’re always looking to better your cat’s diet but it doesn’t sound like your cat is showing signs of an allergic reaction. It may be the case that he is showing intolerance to something, however. But given that he has IBD it could be quite complicated to pinpoint the culprit. I would try to consult with a feline nutritionist who knows about raw feeding. If you’re willing to pay, Dr. Pierson from catinfo.org does consulting. One of our members has consulted with her in the past with good results. lalagimp lalagimp that’s you, right?

Shandyanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cat is doing just fine on the Rad Cat beef, I see no reason at all to change the food. Egg can be an culprit for food sensitivities but unless you definitely know your cat is sensitive to it (IBD flare up, general food sensitivity reactions, etc), don't worry about it.

You could look into making your own raw food. EZComplete uses eggshell instead of bone but uses dried egg yolk. TC Feline's special kidney formula uses calcium carbonate and has no egg product http://tcfeline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TCfeline-SPECIAL-FORMULA-brochure_2016.pdf The egg yolks listed in the directions are completely optional.
It doesn’t sound like your cat is having an allergic response though. Allergic responses are immediate and typically manifest in cats in the form of skin disorders. I think it’s great that you’re always looking to better your cat’s diet but it doesn’t sound like your cat is showing signs of an allergic reaction. It may be the case that he is showing intolerance to something, however. But given that he has IBD it could be quite complicated to pinpoint the culprit. I would try to consult with a feline nutritionist who knows about raw feeding. If you’re willing to pay, Dr. Pierson from catinfo.org does consulting. One of our members has consulted with her in the past with good results. lalagimp lalagimp that’s you, right?
No, I’m shandyanna. Consulting with Dr. Pierson was my next move after trying food w/o yolk. LTS3 LTS3 reminded me of TC Feline’s Special Diet premix. I had nixed it in the past for a reason which I could not remember, and assumed that reason was that the premix contained yolk or bone. I just took another look at it, and now remember that I avoided it because it contains xanthan gum which can be problematic. Albeit, I just ordered some...fingers crossed. Thanks folks for the comments and support and thank you LTS3 LTS3 for getting me to remember and reconsider TCFeline.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think you can be sure that the egg yolk is the cause of the bloating and diarrhea. Those are typical general symptoms of IBD.

Have you tried probiotics and digestive enzymes to help with the bloating and diarrhea? S. Boulardii in particular is helpful for diarrhea. These two web sites have good info on managing IBD:

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

The first web site has a link to the IBD group on FB where you can ask for additional help.

Is your cat getting steroids or any medication to help control the IBD?

TC Feline's special kidney formula might be your best bet for an egg an bone free way to make raw food.

My Aby has IBD and eats NV raw rabbit. Chicken gives him a flare up but not eggs. He gets probiotics, S boulardii, and digestive enzymes with each meal. He's also back on pred but mostly because it helps control the asthma.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
No, I’m shandyanna. Consulting with Dr. Pierson was my next move after trying food w/o yolk. LTS3 LTS3 reminded me of TC Feline’s Special Diet premix. I had nixed it in the past for a reason which I could not remember, and assumed that reason was that the premix contained yolk or bone. I just took another look at it, and now remember that I avoided it because it contains xanthan gum which can be problematic. Albeit, I just ordered some...fingers crossed. Thanks folks for the comments and support and thank you LTS3 LTS3 for getting me to remember and reconsider TCFeline.
I meant that I think lalagimp lalagimp has consulted with Dr. Pierson before and could share their experience.

Shandyanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think you can be sure that the egg yolk is the cause of the bloating and diarrhea. Those are typical general symptoms of IBD.

Have you tried probiotics and digestive enzymes to help with the bloating and diarrhea? S. Boulardii in particular is helpful for diarrhea. These two web sites have good info on managing IBD:

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

The first web site has a link to the IBD group on FB where you can ask for additional help.

Is your cat getting steroids or any medication to help control the IBD?

TC Feline's special kidney formula might be your best bet for an egg an bone free way to make raw food.

My Aby has IBD and eats NV raw rabbit. Chicken gives him a flare up but not eggs. He gets probiotics, S boulardii, and digestive enzymes with each meal. He's also back on pred but mostly because it helps control the asthma.
Right, I’m not sure the yolk is the problem, I’m troubleshooting.

Steroids give him diarrhea as do probiotics...such a conundrum, right?!

It’s just lately that he is having more bloating; his IBD symptoms had been minimal for so long. So, now, will slooooooowly integrate the new food with rabbit or lamb instead of beef.

Will check the links you sent now...

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re willing to pay, Dr. Pierson from catinfo.org does consulting. One of our members has consulted with her in the past with good results. lalagimp lalagimp that’s you, right?
Yes. But I may have overdone it and skyped with her for over two hours.