Help With Pregnant Stray Cat and Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ps: Cuddle and massage the spayed kitten, its always nice.... Her mom would lick her, so cuddling and massage will feel extra nice, and also, help to keep the blood and fluid circulation going.

Momma and baby perhaps too. :)

K Kellbell5
We made it through another night! I’m always terrified of getting baby out of his box at feed time. I’m so worried he’s going to have passed. He ate great through night. He’s starting to want to suck on the syringe so I tried the bottle but he wouldn’t take it. He’s peeing great but my only concern is the only poop he’s done was the tiniest drop on Friday. Should he be going more?

Mom got up this morning when I walked in the room! I almost cried I was so happy. She was purring and even made a little biscuits for me🥰
I gave her some tiki cat kitten thrive mixed with the formula and she ate some. She ate a few bites of food and had some water. Very little of all but that’s a great improvement. She tried to meow but nothing came out. She totally exhausted still it seems.

Now for the spayed kitten, she’s still giving me a hard time with not much improvement. She doesn’t seem overly tired or anything. She’s walking around fine and her incision looks great. I still can’t get her to eat though. She’s never been big on wet food or treats so that’s not working.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We made it through another night! I’m always terrified of getting baby out of his box at feed time. I’m so worried he’s going to have passed. He ate great through night. He’s starting to want to suck on the syringe so I tried the bottle but he wouldn’t take it. He’s peeing great but my only concern is the only poop he’s done was the tiniest drop on Friday. Should he be going more?

Mom got up this morning when I walked in the room! I almost cried I was so happy. She was purring and even made a little biscuits for me🥰
I gave her some tiki cat kitten thrive mixed with the formula and she ate some. She ate a few bites of food and had some water. Very little of all but that’s a great improvement. She tried to meow but nothing came out. She totally exhausted still it seems.

Now for the spayed kitten, she’s still giving me a hard time with not much improvement. She doesn’t seem overly tired or anything. She’s walking around fine and her incision looks great. I still can’t get her to eat though. She’s never been big on wet food or treats so that’s not working.
Sounds good as overall; and especielly the little kitten!

Is the spayed kitten drinking anything? You dont say it clearly.... If so, and she drinks kmr, it should be OK... The operation got hard on her, harder than on most; but its not totally unusual they are under the weather, as the british says, for some days...
You can also add some nice vitamine pasta if you can find some in a pet shop... Why, you can give this vitamine pasta to momma too... It may quicken up the recovery.

Poo... Its not unusual the poo production delays some... Not the peculiar, because wastes from body comes out via kidneys, with pee.... Poo is leftovers from food + bacteria + cell rests from the intestines...

There are several tips to help with poeing, the easiest is prob to add a couple of virgin olive oil to his kmr... Almost any oil will do, but virgine oil is healthy food by itself.

Yes, its common many kittens begins to suckle on the syringe when they get hang on it. Many finds using so called mini miracle nipples do help them much.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds good as overall; and especielly the little kitten!

Is the spayed kitten drinking anything? You dont say it clearly.... If so, and she drinks kmr, it should be OK... The operation got hard on her, harder than on most; but its not totally unusual they are under the weather, as the british says, for some days...
You can also add some nice vitamine pasta if you can find some in a pet shop... Why, you can give this vitamine pasta to momma too... It may quicken up the recovery.

Poo... Its not unusual the poo production delays some... Not the peculiar, because wastes from body comes out via kidneys, with pee.... Poo is leftovers from food + bacteria + cell rests from the intestines...

There are several tips to help with poeing, the easiest is prob to add a couple of virgin olive oil to his kmr... Almost any oil will do, but virgine oil is healthy food by itself.

Yes, its common many kittens begins to suckle on the syringe when they get hang on it. Many finds using so called mini miracle nipples do help them much.
The spayed kitten is drinking water but that’s it. I tried the formula but she won’t drink it. She’s always been extremely picky so that doesn’t surprise me. Is she okay with just water? You can tell she’s sore with how cautious she is doing things.

I have a scale coming today at my grocery pickup all I’ll let you know baby’s weight

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a precious baby! Let him eat as much as he wants! Good to hear how feisty he is! Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. It softens poop and gets things moving.

Mom sounds like she is improving. She is sore, and had a tube down her throat during surgery. It also takes time to recover from the effects of anesthesia. Give her a dish of just formula. If she will drink it, that will help her out with nutrients.

Try giving the spayed kitten either boiled chicken or canned tuna. Perhaps one of those will entice her.

You’re doing a fantastic job with everyone! Where in Florida are you? I’m in the Tampa Bay area. 😊

K Kellbell5

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a precious baby! Let him eat as much as he wants! Good to hear how feisty he is! Add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. It softens poop and gets things moving.

Mom sounds like she is improving. She is sore, and had a tube down her throat during surgery. It also takes time to recover from the effects of anesthesia. Give her a dish of just formula. If she will drink it, that will help her out with nutrients.

Try giving the spayed kitten either boiled chicken or canned tuna. Perhaps one of those will entice her.

You’re doing a fantastic job with everyone! Where in Florida are you? I’m in the Tampa Bay area. 😊

K Kellbell5
Thank you! It’s all somewhat new still taking care of cats but I’m trying. Lol I’m a huge animal lover but have always had dogs. We have dogs, cats, ducks, rabbits and a pig. All pets, not for food. Lol I’m between Gainesville and Jacksonville.

I’ll definitely do the olive oil for baby, and try those for spayed kitten. I put a dish of formula out for mom.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The spayed kitten is drinking water but that’s it. I tried the formula but she won’t drink it. She’s always been extremely picky so that doesn’t surprise me. Is she okay with just water? You can tell she’s sore with how cautious she is doing things.

I have a scale coming today at my grocery pickup all I’ll let you know baby’s weight
try with a little sugar in the water, or white caro syrup, solved in the water,,, So there is barely any taste....
Real glucose sugar would be better.... Or flavorless pedialyte for babies; becase it contains some glucose sugar... This is really best.
Also, real glucose sugar doesnt taste very sweet, so its possible to load more of this sugar before it gets sweet taste...

Also, try with goats milk.. Or even some youghurt. . It tastes differently than kmr, it may be easier to entice her.

With pedialyte or sugar water, she will manage several days... Not growing but hanging on yes.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Baby finally went pop, and it was a lot. Lol I was going to do the olive oil next feed but I guess I don’t need to now. I got a scale and he’s so small. I weighed him before and after he ate. Beforehand he was 120g and after was 124g. He ate 3.5ml. I’m feeding him every 2 hours. Should I feed him more frequently?

I will try the pedialyte for the kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten weighs 4.3 ounces when I convert 124 grams. A kitten only needs to weigh 4 ounces at one week old, so he is doing well!

If you think he’s hungry more often you can feed more often. Use your judgement.

Milestone weights are 8 ounces at 2 weeks; 12 ounces at 3 weeks; and one pound at 4 weeks.

Wonderful news that he pooped! It still would not hurt to put oil in his feedings to keep him regular.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitten weighs 4.3 ounces when I convert 124 grams. A kitten only needs to weigh 4 ounces at one week old, so he is doing well!

If you think he’s hungry more often you can feed more often. Use your judgement.

Milestone weights are 8 ounces at 2 weeks; 12 ounces at 3 weeks; and one pound at 4 weeks.

Wonderful news that he pooped! It still would not hurt to put oil in his feedings to keep him regular.
That makes me feel so much better!! I thought he was too small. You guys have been such a huge help. Thank you!

Baby has fleas I just realized😭 I guess he got them from mom. I’ve never been able to put flea treatment on her because she would only let me pet her at arms length. I plan on doing it once she’s recovered a little more. Obviously baby can’t have any type of flea treatment but what can I do? I’ve tried the flea comb and it’s not getting them. They’re so fast I’m not able to easily pick them all off either

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put 1-2 TINY drops of flea med from a dropper on the back of kitten’s neck. That should help.

Go ahead and put flea meds on the back of mom’s neck now while she is docile. I recommend Advantage II or Frontline.

If you’re able to pill mom once she is better, a Capstar tablet will kill all the fleas on mom. Don’t use it now because mom will itch and want to scratch and she’s not well enough for Capstar yet.

Wash bedding in hot water, and keep floors and carpet vacuumed.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Put 1-2 TINY drops of flea med from a dropper on the back of kitten’s neck. That should help.

Go ahead and put flea meds on the back of mom’s neck now while she is docile. I recommend Advantage II or Frontline.

If you’re able to pill mom once she is better, a Capstar tablet will kill all the fleas on mom. Don’t use it now because mom will itch and want to scratch and she’s not well enough for Capstar yet.

Wash bedding in hot water, and keep floors and carpet vacuumed.
Those are exactly what I use. Lol Luckily I have no carpet throughout my house. I do vacuum 2-3 times a day though still. I’m big on flea prevention. All animals inside and the ones I’m able to get outside get it every month. I’ll do that for both tonight. Thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are mom, baby, and the other spayed kitten doing?

I know you’ve had your hands full. Just thinking of you and hoping all is well.

Please update as your time permits.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are mom, baby, and the other spayed kitten doing?

I know you’ve had your hands full. Just thinking of you and hoping all is well.

Please update as your time permits.
Hi, everyone finally seems to be impressed as of this morning. Mom gets up now a little, purrs and has used the litter box. The spayed kitten finally ate a little last night and seems more alert and not so tired. My vet gave me something for them that has calories and vitamins, I believe that’s what she said. Lol They only needed a little a few times a day. I did that for both yesterday so maybe that’s what helped. Baby is doing great! He has a big appetite and very feisty. Lol He opened his eyes yesterday, very early I know. Someone scared me saying how unusual that is and something must be wrong. I called the vet and they said as long as no discharge, redness or other symptoms then he’s fine. I got some of the tiny nipples that go on the syringe and he’s much happier being able to suck. As of this morning he’s up to 139g.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful news on ALL fronts! :loveeyes::catlove:

Your vet sounds fantastic also.

Short-haired kittens can open their eyes as early as 5 days old.

Once mom feels better she can meet her baby. Perhaps she will be interested in grooming him a bit and teaching him kitten manners as he grows. I know she’s not ready yet, but hopefully eventually.

More pictures of baby with his eyes open when you get a moment!

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Once mom feels better she can meet her baby. Perhaps she will be interested in grooming him a bit and teaching him kitten manners as he grows. I know she’s not ready yet, but hopefully eventually.

When I got baby out of his bed to feed him he had peed. I’m scared something is wrong! I’m stimulating before and after feeds and he’s peeing great. Is he okay?

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

His pee also is very strong smelling. It’s been like that since day one though. I believe it was pee. Lol I need to go smell it I guess. I saw the wet spot on his his bed then he was extremely wet from bellybutton down. I was 10 minutes late feeding him. I always feed him at 2 hours and it was 10 minutes over

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What color is his urine? It should be clear to pale yellow if he is well hydrated. Kittens pee a lot. His poop should be yellowish to light brown on formula. How is his poop? It should be semi-soft like toothpaste.

I know you are feeding every 2 hours, so how much does he normally eat? How much is he gaining daily thus far, and what is his weight today?

K Kellbell5

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What color is his urine? It should be clear to pale yellow if he is well hydrated. Kittens pee a lot. His poop should be yellowish to light brown on formula. How is his poop? It should be semi-soft like toothpaste.

I know you are feeding every 2 hours, so how much does he normally eat? How much is he gaining daily thus far, and what is his weight today?

K Kellbell5
His urine is a pale yellow, sometimes clear. His poop is yellowish, possibly a little orange. It is very similarly to toothpaste, maybe a little softer but not watery at all. He usually eats 4ml. There’s times it’s only 3, and a couple times closer to 5. He’s gaining great. Sunday he was 124g, today he is 147g. At least I think that’s good weight gain. Lol
I didn’t have a scale until Sunday

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His urine is a pale yellow, sometimes clear. His poop is yellowish, possibly a little orange. It is very similarly to toothpaste, maybe a little softer but not watery at all. He usually eats 4ml. There’s times it’s only 3, and a couple times closer to 5. He’s gaining great. Sunday he was 124g, today he is 147g. At least I think that’s good weight gain. Lol
I didn’t have a scale until Sunday
Yes, very good weight gain, :)

The consistence of poo is as it shall; toothpaste, perhaps somewhat rarer.

Some kittens do pee spontaneously... If its a problem, you can try to empty him more often. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He’s a little piggy and gaining beautifully! His pee and poop sound normal.

Keep up the terrific job you’re doing!