Help With Pregnant Stray Cat and Kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did she have stitches before? External or internal or both? Do you think it opened on its own during the healing process, or do you think mom licked it open or tore at it?

Either way, it does sound like there is a healing layer underneath. Keep her as low-key as possible and plan to take her for a vet check first thing Monday. She may need re-stitching, or she may need more antibiotics, or she may just need left alone to heal. This will be the vet’s call, as I’ve not experienced a surgery re-open like this. Since there is no blood or pus, it sounds not too bad for now.

Do get a message to the vet first-thing Monday and keep us posted. Let’s hope nothing further occurs with the incision site in the meantime.

K Kellbell5

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did she have stitches before? External or internal or both? Do you think it opened on its own during the healing process, or do you think mom licked it open or tore at it?

Either way, it does sound like there is a healing layer underneath. Keep her as low-key as possible and plan to take her for a vet check first thing Monday. She may need re-stitching, or she may need more antibiotics, or she may just need left alone to heal. This will be the vet’s call, as I’ve not experienced a surgery re-open like this. Since there is no blood or pus, it sounds not too bad for now.

Do get a message to the vet first-thing Monday and keep us posted. Let’s hope nothing further occurs with the incision site in the meantime.

K Kellbell5
She had both type of stitches. It doesn’t look red around it at all or irritated, so I think it came open on its own.

She’s still having such a slow recovery that I wonder if this has something to do with it. There’s only a couple of things I can get her to eat. She sometimes gets up when I walk in the room, but usually doesn’t get up at all. She’s very content and never tries to get out.

I’ll definitely be calling first thing Monday morning. Thank you

Last edited:

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question and concern, this time baby. He’s doing absolutely amazing, but yesterday his poo changed. He was extremely constipated, and now has runny stool. He’s going about every other feed now but it’s not thick like it was. I’m not sure if it’s actually diarrhea, but extremely soft and not formed like before. It’s a dark yellowish color. He has no other symptoms or issues that I can see. He has a great appetite and still gaining really well. He’s extremely alert and seems very content. He is on ready to feed formula again. Should I switch back to the powder? If it is the formula is it better for him to be constipated and runny stool?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I dislike the pre-mixed formula for the very reason that it causes diarrhea. I’ve seen it too many times. It’s just not the same as the powdered formula, which I think is best for kittens. That’s too much diarrhea, which robs the system of nutrients. Also, the consistency should be like toothpaste.

I would switch him back to powdered and stick with that. Just add oil to each feeding to help keep him regular.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dislike the pre-mixed formula for the very reason that it causes diarrhea. I’ve seen it too many times. It’s just not the same as the powdered formula, which I think is best for kittens. That’s too much diarrhea, which robs the system of nutrients. Also, the consistency should be like toothpaste.

I would switch him back to powdered and stick with that. Just add oil to each feeding to help keep him regular.
I’ll trash it all now! I have plenty of powder already and will stick with that. Thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. Possibly an eye infection starting? Or a cold? Or he got something in his eye — dander?

Pick up or order a tube of Terramycin to have on hand, just in case. Or go ahead and smear some on. It can only help. It looks like mostly the one eye in the photos.

Keep us posted! He is a cutie!

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Possibly an eye infection starting? Or a cold? Or he got something in his eye — dander?

Pick up or order a tube of Terramycin to have on hand, just in case. Or go ahead and smear some on. It can only help. It looks like mostly the one eye in the photos.

Keep us posted! He is a cutie!
I got some Terramycin and started yesterday. How soon should it start working? I’ll attach a picture because I’m not sure if I’m overreacting or maybe it’s helping already, I can’t tell really. He doesn’t have any other symptoms still and no discharge from either eye, just seems more watery. I’m just scared of it being something and me not catching it in time.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks okay. It’s possible he just has a watery eye and nothing more, but it’s good to have the terramycin on hand. It usually works quickly if it’s bacterial — 2-3 days.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, just wanted to give everyone an update. You helped me out so much and I appreciate it so much! Hartley, the baby is 5 weeks today and doing amazing! He hit 1lb at 3wk 4days. As of today he’s up to 728 grams. He has no problem eating😂 The vet was extremely happy with his last checkup.

Mila, momma cat is doing really well too. She’s still in my bathroom, but by choice. I’ve offered her to go outside and to be in the house but she won’t do either one. She has my bedroom and bathroom to run free and seems very happy. I on the other hand would really like her out. Lol I can’t let the other cats in my room become of her and it’s not easy keeping them out. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is SO adorable! ❤

I do hope mom will decide to explore soon — perhaps when the little guy is a few weeks older and HE is exploring she will join him.

Wonderful update to hear that all is well! :catlove:

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My bottle fed six week old has done great eating and gaining weight until a few days ago. Mom decided she wanted to mother him so I put him in the room with her. She couldn’t nurse so I continued to bottle feed him. Once I saw him eat hard and wet food I stopped night feedings. Then after a couple days I stopped all formula. Now the last few days he’s dropped in weight. I started back bottle feeding and he seems to be somewhat maintaining weight but definitely not gaining. He’s also throw up a couple times but each time was after eating wet food. His poo has changed but that could be from starting formula back because it seemed to happen around the same time. He still has lots of energy and acting fine. I’m extremely concerned about not gaining weight. He doesn’t want much now at each feed like he did. He’s also still not back at his top weight because he’s no longer gaining. He’s went from 835g to 750g in four days. Please help! I’m extremely worried. I’ll call the vet tomorrow but would love any suggestions you might have.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
After 5 weeks the kitten should be on commercial food. What proteins are you feeding him? It does not need to be kitten food. My cats are fed 3x a dayy

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s been bottle fed since birth. Mom had to have emergency c section for other kitten that passed and she couldn’t deliver. I have dry kitten and adult food out at all times, and of course fresh water. As far as wet food I’ve tried so many! From Tiki Cat, Fancy Feast kitten and several others. He won’t eat it, only takes a couple licks or has thrown up from it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could always try with goats milk. Raw goats milk is pricey, but has some extra advantages.
but almost all commercial sold goats milk is useful, esp if its not some funny low fat diet variation.

Perhaps some probiotic shouldnt hurt.
BeneBac by PetAg is good.
but otherwise you cant ry with some mild yoghurt or kefir...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he’s not ready to wean yet. He’s only 6 weeks old and many kittens are still nursing mom until 8 weeks. I’d keep him on his formula, and mix it with unflavored pedialyte instead of water. You can mix a few granules of a probiotic in as well.

It sounds like he’s had a virus and is beginning to recover. He also may never like wet food. I had a cat who ate only dry food. She detested any wet food but loved chicken, ham, and beef.

K Kellbell5

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Fortiflora is a probiotic, but its also known to be tasty for cats... And thus, often used as enchancing taste.
sprinkling some on say, wet food, may perhaps entice her to eat wet food...

Fortiflora isnt cheap, but you can use it at other occasions too.