Help With Pregnant Stray Cat and Kitten

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I brought a pregnant stray in last week. She’s been around my house for a while off and on. I was hoping to get her spayed before this happened but was able to get her. I’m not familiar with labor or delivery with cats. She’s been in the bathroom and very happy. It’s a large room and I set up multiple areas for her to give birth. Last night a small sac appeared to be coming out. I sat with her for a couple hours because she didn’t want me to leave. She never once tried to push or seemed uncomfortable. As of this morning the sac was gone and still no babies. Her back area is very wet though and a discharge coming out. Are these normal things or is something wrong?

This was last night but it went back in

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Things sound normal to me. In fact, it sounds like her water may have broken and labor is starting or imminent.

How is she acting? When you see ripples down her sides those will be contractions. Stage one can take 24 hours once it starts. Stage 2 is pushing.

Here are helpful links:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth - TheCatSite Articles

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? - TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! - TheCatSite Articles

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats - TheCatSite Articles

Thanks so much for bringing her in! Keep us posted! K Kellbell5

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, I brought a pregnant stray in last week. She’s been around my house for a while off and on. I was hoping to get her spayed before this happened but was able to get her. I’m not familiar with labor or delivery with cats. She’s been in the bathroom and very happy. It’s a large room and I set up multiple areas for her to give birth. Last night a small sac appeared to be coming out. I sat with her for a couple hours because she didn’t want me to leave. She never once tried to push or seemed uncomfortable. As of this morning the sac was gone and still no babies. Her back area is very wet though and a discharge coming out. Are these normal things or is something wrong?

This was last night but it went back in
Such sack is somewhat worrying. Especially as I dont know exactly what it is... However, we did had quite a few forumites, where such sack did appeared... But the self delivery hours or days later, was OK... Occasionally some kitten didnt make it, but the litter as such was born sound and healthy...

Why, one of the threads visible now was from such situation.

So, look out for problems, but try to take it calmly and hope for the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things sound normal to me. In fact, it sounds like her water may have broken and labor is starting or imminent.

How is she acting? When you see ripples down her sides those will be contractions. Stage one can take 24 hours once it starts. Stage 2 is pushing.

Here are helpful links:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth - TheCatSite Articles

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? - TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! - TheCatSite Articles

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats - TheCatSite Articles

Thanks so much for bringing her in! Keep us posted! K Kellbell5
Thank you for commenting. I ended up taking her to the emergency vet. The did X Ray and ultrasound. There wasn’t a baby blocking and she was able to pickup some heartbeats. She saw a definite four babies on the X Ray also. I was told to come back tomorrow morning for meds to help start contractions if nothing has happened. I just checked on her and she’s actually contracting now! So hopefully soon they’ll be born and all will be alright. I’ve been able to get fourteen cats fixed so far with two more scheduled tomorrow. I’ve never owned a cat or even been around one until a year ago. I’m now taking care or nineteen. This was definitely an unexpected cost but thankful she’s doing well

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, sounded like labor starting to me. Good you had her vet checked. Let us know when the kittens are here. I hope all goes well. 😻

Thank you for all the amazing rescue work you are doing!

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, sounded like labor starting to me. Good you had her vet checked. Let us know when the kittens are here. I hope all goes well. 😻

Thank you for all the amazing rescue work you are doing!
She’s had two now and both were dead😢 The first was extremely small, still in the sac and not fully developed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! I’m so sorry. I hope the other two will be okay. Poor stray mom likely did not get good nutrition early on.

Did the vet think mom was full-term? Was the 2nd kitten fully developed but stillborn?

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, vet said she believed she was ready to deliver. The second one was fully developed but stillborn. She’s had another one and is currently alive! She hasn’t bit through the cord though so still attached to afterbirth. It’s been a little over an hour. Am I supposed to do something?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can pinch the cord about one inch from the kitten’s navel and dispose of the placenta.

Has the kitten nursed yet? If not, try putting it to a nipple.

Hoping the 4th kitten will be alive and well when it comes!
K Kellbell5

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can pinch the cord about one inch from the kitten’s navel and dispose of the placenta.

Has the kitten nursed yet? If not, try putting it to a nipple.

Hoping the 4th kitten will be alive and well when it comes!
K Kellbell5
The third little one made it through the night. He’s having a hard time latching but is okay with help. She still never had a fourth so I called the vet. They said up to 24 hours from start is okay. I have an appointment this afternoon for another X Ray and ultrasound to check things out. She just started having major discharge and extremely wet with a large spot on the blanket she’s on. No contractions or pushing though. Is this labor starting back up or possibly something wrong? There’s nothing solid coming out just stuck to her fur

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not sure what that is. Good you have an appointment today — take the kitten along too.

I’m a bit concerned. Please let us know an update.

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She ended up needing emergency surgery. She did have one more baby in there that had died. She was septic and her uterus had ruptured. I wasn’t able to leave her overnight because of cost and I hate it. She was sent home on antibiotics and pain meds and also received both during surgery. I’m now having to take care of baby full time and hoping he’ll pull through

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She ended up needing emergency surgery. She did have one more baby in there that had died. She was septic and her uterus had ruptured. I wasn’t able to leave her overnight because of cost and I hate it. She was sent home on antibiotics and pain meds and also received both during surgery. I’m now having to take care of baby full time and hoping he’ll pull through
You have some good kmr? Goats milk is OK too... Raw unpasteurized goats milk is extra good; its milk from an alive mom...

If you dont have nothing, human baby mother milk replacement goes in a pinch, but dilute less.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going? The kitten must be fed every 2 hours around the clock for now, so you’ll need to set your alarm. Do you have any questions?

How is mom doing? She may be able to resume nursing in the next few days depending on how she is healing.

I know this is difficult. Please reach out if you need help. I am on Florida, USA, time and StefanZ StefanZ is on Sweden time, so one of us should be available much of the time.

K Kellbell5

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is it going? The kitten must be fed every 2 hours around the clock for now, so you’ll need to set your alarm. Do you have any questions?

How is mom doing? She may be able to resume nursing in the next few days depending on how she is healing.

I know this is difficult. Please reach out if you need help. I am on Florida, USA, time and StefanZ StefanZ is on Sweden time, so one of us should be available much of the time.

K Kellbell5
Hi, sorry it took so long to reply. It’s been so hectic the last few days and I’m totally exhausted. Yes, I got everything for baby while mom was in surgery. I’m feeding him every two hours around the clock. Rubbing his bum to go potty. Have a heating pad in with him and only feed him in the correct position. I know everything I think, but I still feel like I’m doing something wrong. I’m so worried he won’t make it. He’s extremely feisty though so I think that’s good. One thing I’m not sure about is exactly how much I should be feeding him. How many ML can he have every two hours? I don’t want to under or over feed him. Also, if I’m using the powder formula and room temp water do I still need to heat it up?

Mom had a terrible night last night. I thought for sure she wasn’t going to make it. She did though and her breathing has drastically improved, pretty much normal now. The issue is she’s so out of it still. I can’t get her to eat at all. She opens her eyes when I come in the room but won’t even pick her head up. She has went pee twice in the litter box. She was drinking great through the night but not now. Is she just exhausted from everything plus anesthesia, or depressed from losing her babies? I feel so bad for her.

Plus yesterday I also had 2 of the 6 month old kittens spayed and one of them just wants to sleep. She won’t eat or drink.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, goodness gracious, you do have your hands full.

Let’s start with mama’s baby. How much does he weigh? How much he is to be fed depends on his weight in grams, though in general, a newborn will need between 1-2ml’s per feeding, every 1-2 hours. Do you have a weight? I can tell you specifically if you have a weight. He also should gain about 6 grams per day. How is the syringe feeding going?

It sounds like mama kitty was recovering from anesthesia and is now better, but is in pain. This will affect her eating and drinking, poor thing. Did they give you pain meds to continue giving her? She needs them for 3 days post-surgery, so if not, call to get them.

If not, she will be in pain and feel nauseous and have no appetite. She may also be depressed from hormonal changes related to giving birth and losing her babies. She will also be exhausted.

You may want to try putting her kitten with her for comfort, but not for nursing yet. In other words, between feedings, they may find comfort from one another just being together for now between feedings.

As for your 2 kittens who were spayed at 6 months, is the one feeling better now? Is the scar okay? If you suspect infection, she needs to be seen again right away.Most spays at this age are successful, and kittens return to normal quickly. If this is not the case, and the kitten continues not eating or bouncing back, you should call the vet right away.

K Kellbell5

Last edited:

Kellbell5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, goodness gracious, you do have your hands full.

Let’s start with mama’s baby. How much does he weigh? How much he is to be fed depends on his weight in grams, though in general, a newborn will need between 1-2ml’s per feeding, every 1-2 hours. Do you have a weight? I can tell you specifically if you have a weight. He also should gain about 6 grams per day. How is the syringe feeding going?

It sounds like mama kitty was recovering from anesthesia and is now better, but is in pain. This will affect her eating and drinking, poor thing. Did they give you pain meds to continue giving her? She needs them for 3 days post-surgery, so if not, call to get them.

If not, she will be in pain and feel nauseous and have no appetite. She may also be depressed from hormonal changes related to giving birth and losing her babies. She will also be exhausted.

You may want to try putting her kitten with her for comfort, but not for nursing yet. In other words, between feedings, they may find comfort from one another just being together for now between feedings.

As for your 2 kittens who were spayed at 6 months, is the one feeling better now? Is the scar okay? If you suspect infection, she needs to be seen again right away.Most spays at this age are successful, and kittens return to normal quickly. If this is not the case, and the kitten continues not eating or bouncing back, you should call the vet right away.

K Kellbell5
I’m not sure of his weight. At the vet yesterday everyone was so focused on mom that not much got done with baby. The doctor did say that mom had no milk so he probably hadn’t gotten anything at all. He’s eating great! He’s so feisty too, with an attitude. Lol I’ve been doing up to 3-4 ML, is that too much? I don’t force him at all. He actually wants more at times and puts up a fight when he doesn’t get it. I’m actually going to get a scale tomorrow so I can keep track.

Yes, mom has 3 days of pain meds, and an antibiotic. I gave mom a shirt that was in baby’s box so it would have his smell, maybe that will help.

My one that got spayed still wasn’t eating or drinking as of tonight. She seemed a lot sleepier than the other all day. She did walk around fine and wanted attention just like always. Her incision looks fine. I had one from the first litter that did this for 3 days. I had to syringe feed her high calorie food watered down. She wouldn’t walk around though like this one is.

Do I need to warm baby’s milk if it’s powdered mixed with room temp water?

When should I be concerned about mom not getting up, even picking her head up and not eating? She follows me with her eyes and her ears move when she hears me come in. She’s not totally out of it, just won’t get up at all.

Any suggestions for the 6 months old to get her to eat and drink?

I’m in Florida also, so we’re same time. Lol I appreciate everyone’s help on here!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not sure of his weight. At the vet yesterday everyone was so focused on mom that not much got done with baby. The doctor did say that mom had no milk so he probably hadn’t gotten anything at all. He’s eating great! He’s so feisty too, with an attitude. Lol I’ve been doing up to 3-4 ML, is that too much? I don’t force him at all. He actually wants more at times and puts up a fight when he doesn’t get it. I’m actually going to get a scale tomorrow so I can keep track.

Yes, mom has 3 days of pain meds, and an antibiotic. I gave mom a shirt that was in baby’s box so it would have his smell, maybe that will help.

My one that got spayed still wasn’t eating or drinking as of tonight. She seemed a lot sleepier than the other all day. She did walk around fine and wanted attention just like always. Her incision looks fine. I had one from the first litter that did this for 3 days. I had to syringe feed her high calorie food watered down. She wouldn’t walk around though like this one is.

Do I need to warm baby’s milk if it’s powdered mixed with room temp water?

When should I be concerned about mom not getting up, even picking her head up and not eating? She follows me with her eyes and her ears move when she hears me come in. She’s not totally out of it, just won’t get up at all.

Any suggestions for the 6 months old to get her to eat and drink?

I’m in Florida also, so we’re same time. Lol I appreciate everyone’s help on here!

Fluid temp: Room temp is OK, but better is body temp. So a slight warming up to your body temp. Warm up in water bath.... IF you do micro, be sure you mix up the content by shaking; you wont want the fluid do be locally superhot....

Amounts: The rule of thumb is 8ml kmr or goats milk / OZ, ie 28 grammes of body weigh, per day...
So a kitten of say 3 oz, about 80 grammes, should have at least 24 ml during the day... Typically 2 ml per feeding if fed every 2 hours around the clock...
If kitten wants more its OK, but shouldnt be much less.... Its difficult to overfeed. But underfeeding does happens...

As you describe it, it sounds very OK.

OK, weak momma, and this sleepy kittens...

Yes, some force feeding / hand feeding is sometimes necessary... So you handfeed them exactly as the baby...
As momma do drinks, you can easily give her too this kmr or goats milk... Its good nourishment, so she really doesnt need to eat if ths gets this...

The same is for the spayed kitten.... IF kitten really weak, there is some danger the digestion has stopped... In such a case, you give just sugar water or pedialyte (which does contain some glucose sugar). Pedialyte best bought flavorless pedialyte for babies, but its possible to make a basic pedialyte home - for example, said sugar water.
The kitten wont grow on pedialyte nor sugar water, but will survive on this a couple of days... And the sugar water wont burden the digestive system....
Its of course a desperate last line defence, but the fact is, it does works sometimes.

IF I have missed some of your questions, please come back with renewing it.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps: Cuddle and massage the spayed kitten, its always nice.... Her mom would lick her, so cuddling and massage will feel extra nice, and also, help to keep the blood and fluid circulation going.

Momma and baby perhaps too. :)

K Kellbell5